Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does AP use brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When AP is in control and slowing to stop behind a car stopped at a light how slow does AP use regen before applying brakes? Does it use it as much as safely possible? Im curious if it will save on brakes as much as a human would trying actively to.

I believe AP uses brakes more than I do. It seems less able to predict the stop well enough in advance to slow down gently using regenerative braking.

(Not to mention the phantom braking, which definitely uses the brakes more than I do because I try really not to randomly slam on the brakes while driving down the highway.)

Last edited:
The brake lights in the model 3 don't mean it is activating the brakes.. Manual page 49 under "Regenerative Braking"
I will confirm this as well. When you let off the accelerator fast enough the car will turn on the brake lights when it detects a quick deceleration, probably based on G forces and will turn on the brake lights even if you don’t press the actual brake pedal.