Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When FSD disengages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, maybe already discussed but did a quick search and not finding this option.

Is there a way when FSD disengages from the driver or the car, that it doesn't revert to TACC? This is on city streets and when its quits, I would like it completely revert back to all driver control. I can see that on the highway that it would be ok.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on 2022.20.19/10.69.2.4

Matt

Hello, maybe already discussed but did a quick search and not finding this option.

Is there a way when FSD disengages from the driver or the car, that it doesn't revert to TACC? This is on city streets and when its quits, I would like it completely revert back to all driver control. I can see that on the highway that it would be ok.

Thanks in advance.

I'm on 2022.20.19/10.69.2.4

Matt

Yes. You can use the brakes to disengage FSD and it will revert back to full manual control.

No, I wish there was. I think this is dangerous behavior. More than once I thought FSDb had disengaged all the way and then the car started accelerating. Another time, I thought FSDb was still engaged because car was accelerating, but it wasn't steering.

How can this be desired behavior?

No, I wish there was. I think this is dangerous behavior. More than once I thought FSDb had disengaged all the way and then the car started accelerating. Another time, I thought FSDb was still engaged because car was accelerating, but it wasn't steering.

Yes there is a way to fully disengage FSD back to manual control. You can use the brakes or you can use the stalk. You are simply not disengaging FSD all the way. Don't blame the car for you not knowing how to use the system.

Reactions: Dewg
The only time that FSD reverts to TACC is if you use the steering wheel to disengage. If you use the brakes, stalk or if FSD disconnects on its own due to a software malfunction, the car will revert to manual driving.

The only other exception is if FSD (NOA) bails due to poor weather, it will generally fall back to AP on the highway. If AP bails due to poor weather, it falls back to TACC.

Reactions: diplomat33
Yes there is a way to fully disengage FSD back to manual control. You can use the brakes or you can use the stalk. You are simply not disengaging FSD all the way. Don't blame the car for you not knowing how to use the system.

Yes, I know I can hit the brake. I know how the system works. There is a single beep to indicate the partial disengagement, but that can be missed with other warnings.

It's my opinion that the way FSDb partially disengages is dangerous.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold

I've been similarly confused. All I can really offer is that after enough instances, I've gotten to a habit where I either flip the lever up to fully disengage or double-flip down to fully re-engage if the situation is resolved. Not a great answer--just a new compensatory driving habit.

Yes, I know I can hit the brake. I know how the system works. There is a single beep to indicate the partial disengagement, but that can be missed with other warnings.

If you disengage with the brake, it is a full disengagement. It is not a partial disengagement. You won't miss it. What you are complaining about is that you cannot use the steering wheel to do a full disengagement. You want to be able to use the steering wheel to do a full disengagement. But there is nothing dangerous if you know how the system works.

Reactions: Dewg

Complete disengaging on wheel jerk would cause the car to immediately apply regen and phantom brake check a following car. That would be dangerous. TACC will keep the car moving safely. If you saw a need for the car to slow, or stop, you would have pressed the brake pedal, which would have put the car back to manual driving.

If you disengage with the brake, it is a full disengagement. It is not a partial disengagement. You won't miss it. What you are complaining about is that you cannot use the steering wheel to do a full disengagement. You want to be able to use the steering wheel to do a full disengagement. But there is nothing dangerous if you know how the system works.
Thanks. The problem I'm having is that I live in the NYC metro area and the streets are small and jammed packed with cars, pedestrians, scooters, etc. All going this way and that way, so hitting the break is not ideal when I've got someone up my bum. I have to be constantly on guard and drive like everyones out to hit you and that goes when I'm not driving a a tesla. I was hoping under autopilot there was a way to fine tune this. When the car disengages (which in my area is constant), hitting the break is not the best way to drive around here. I'll work on the stalk option and try to be more aware, but again, I'm watching out for many others things.

Thanks. The problem I'm having is that I live in the NYC metro area and the streets are small and jammed packed with cars, pedestrians, scooters, etc. All going this way and that way, so hitting the break is not ideal when I've got someone up my bum. I have to be constantly on guard and drive like everyones out to hit you and that goes when I'm not driving a a tesla. I was hoping under autopilot there was a way to fine tune this. When the car disengages (which in my area is constant), hitting the break is not the best way to drive around here. I'll work on the stalk option and try to be more aware, but again, I'm watching out for many others things.

I hear you. You can use the stalk to disengage if you are afraid of using the brakes. But I will say that you can disengage with just a light tap of the brakes. It does not take that much. If you are prepared, with your feet near the brake and accelerator, you can gently tap the brakes and resume normal driving the instant FSD disengages, without any slowing down. I will say driving a Tesla does require learning some new driving skills since you need to learn how to supervise FSD and how to disengage properly. But once you learn those skills, it is not a big deal IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: clydeiii and Dewg
Yeah I agree with diplomat. You tap the brakes, you don't slam on them. Tap brakes and then immediate feather the accelerator and you'll be fine.
But lots of sudden response driving happens by instinct like if a car suddenly pulls in your path you then yank the wheel by instinct and are NOT thinking about what actions you took.

This is more of an intercity driving problem than in the burbs. So for us in the middle of dense,tight urban driving it is much more likely to be left in a TACC lurch. I have become "reflex auto" to flipping the lever up. Of course I often get the warning "Can't switch into reverse". But it does eliminate the surprise acceleration TACC can do in the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: redmunds and PACEMD
This is more of an intercity driving problem than in the burbs. So for us in the middle of dense,tight urban driving it is much more likely to be left in a TACC lurch.

Honestly, regular AP and regular FSD are not intended for urban driving, precisely because there will be a lot of cases where you need quick steering changes that those systems are not designed to handle. Urban driving is what FSD Beta is trying to solve. AP/FSD are meant for "cruising" scenarios like highway driving or major roads in the suburbs where you have mostly straight steering and won't need to make a lot of quick steering changes.

Reactions: PACEMD

I completely get your point BUT let's clear some things up here. In your scenario of autopilot "disengages (which in my area is constant)" why is it disengaging? If it is because you are jerking the steering wheel out of AP and that you have to do this often, then perhaps using AP in those scenarios is not an appropriate use case for AP.

High dynamic scenarios where you have to constantly be on your toes for abrupt steering and braking challenges are not great places to use AP at this time.

Reactions: diplomat33
Hi All,

I use a new(er) option in the Autopilot settings...
Autosteer Activation - One click or Two???
In the past I believe your only choice was 2 clicks which result
in the undesirable behavior.
I use One click - then when autopilot is interrupted in ANY way
autosteer drops out and TACC drops out - So driving is now manual...

A caveat would be someone who uses TACC without autosteer.
It would not work in this situation.
I don't use TACC by itself, so I am happy with the new behavior...

My details 2022 Model X LR FSD and software 2022.36.6

Shawn