Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Warning #1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is aware that issues like this will come up from time to time, so givers 5 strike warnings prior to turning it off. This is a learning period for the owners, so they will learn the capabilities of their systems.
Having one strike is not a biggie. It just grabs the awarness of the driver.

Software 2024.14.9 with FSD 12.3.6. I was driving on the highway with FSD in moderate rain on a 200 mile trip, when I got repeated “apply turning force” messages at what seemed like sub 10 second intervals. I thought I was keeping up, but apparently I wasn’t, so I got a strike and FSD shut off.

After I stopped and was able to reengage FSD on the same trip, I was passing a semi when I saw a car quickly approaching behind me, so I pressed the accelerator to complete the pass more quickly, but I exceeded the FSD limit, so it shut off again, but I did not receive a second strike.
You are not supposed to apply force periodically. If you do it often makes the passengers queasy.
It is intended to be a constant force that the car periodically validates.

You are not supposed to apply force periodically. If you do it often makes the passengers queasy.
It is intended to be a constant force that the car periodically validates.
Force doesn’t have to be applied constantly, just at intervals required for the speed, driving conditions, and perceived attention of the driver. FYI, you can also turn one of the scroll wheels instead of applying force to the wheel. Give it a try if you aren’t able to apply a slight amount of force without moving the vehicle to make passengers queasy.

Force doesn’t have to be applied constantly, just at intervals required for the speed, driving conditions, and perceived attention of the driver. FYI, you can also turn one of the scroll wheels instead of applying force to the wheel. Give it a try if you aren’t able to apply a slight amount of force without moving the vehicle to make passengers queasy.
I didn't say that it HAD to be applied, I said that it was designed for constant pressure, aka attention. Periodically wiggling the wheel can make passengers nautionus.

Just hanging your hand on the wheel can easily make it happy.

It absolutely turns the wheel. ANY movement of the steering wheels go to the wheels. This isn't a Cybertruck with steer by wire.
I confirmed it yesterday. Moving the steering wheel enough to remove the nag does not cause the car to turn. I see what you're saying, but there is enough play in the system to allow you the jiggle the wheel without turning the car. True for both of our Teslas.