Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When "Full Self-Driving Hardware" started production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone has to receive the last car with AP1.0

If I was Tesla.. no way I would make this announcement when many have ability to cancel their order (Non delivered AP1).

That being said. Week shut down in oct and liquidation was perfect storm to not have that many left

Hi evan,
Where do you live? My Tesla was also produced last week.

I live in Hong Kong. So it takes one more month to arrive. In this forum some say that there was a factory shut down in the first week of October (I did not find official source of that). If so, it is reasonable to expect that they switch to new production after that. So it might be possible that we still have the luck to get new hardware. But in the phone interview, Elon said the new hardware is shipping this week. Who knows...

If I was Tesla..

I hope you are Tesla. That makes you rich and makes me happy :)

Like many others in this forum, I kind of know it will happen. But haven't predicted it is so soon. In Hong Kong, there is a possibility that I need to pay much more tax if the car is shipped after next March. Thus I chose a very safe, but now bad time to order (and it went into production quite quickly, probably to make sure end-of-quarter shipment).

I hope you are Tesla. That makes you rich and makes me happy :)

Like many others in this forum, I kind of know it will happen. But haven't predicted it is so soon. In Hong Kong, there is a possibility that I need to pay much more tax if the car is shipped after next March. Thus I chose a very safe, but now bad time to order (and it went into production quite quickly, probably to make sure end-of-quarter shipment).
They have raised the price quite drastic in Sweden for new orders. Suppose that is why they selected Sweden and Hong Kong. Would be good if we kan keep contact. My car is scheduled for delivery 2nd week of december. When is yours?

I live in Hong Kong. So it takes one more month to arrive. In this forum some say that there was a factory shut down in the first week of October (I did not find official source of that). If so, it is reasonable to expect that they switch to new production after that. So it might be possible that we still have the luck to get new hardware. But in the phone interview, Elon said the new hardware is shipping this week. Who knows...
Sorry to say but you have the AP1. Just found out by my DS. I will cancel my car tomorrow and order a new one.

I missed out by a few days. However, to cancel will cost £5k by the time I have lost my deposit and paid for just the advanced AP. I don't see autonomous driving being given approval in the UK any time soon. I would only cancel if I was planning to run this car for 10 years. With the guaranteed re-sale on a PCP there is no realistic case to bin off that sort of money for possibly 12 months of use.

Per my OA enhanced autopilot is an extra 5k. I ordered last saturday, have not confirmed. Delivery date mid December. This is for an x90d
This is not true if you had already ordered AP. When I ordered mine, the price had just jumped from $2500 to $3000. It hasn't started production yet so my guess is the worst case would be an additional $2000 on top of the original $3000. If you were planning on ordering now and would have ordered AP anyway, the increase is still $2K over and above what you would have paid.

I missed out by a few days. However, to cancel will cost £5k by the time I have lost my deposit and paid for just the advanced AP. I don't see autonomous driving being given approval in the UK any time soon. I would only cancel if I was planning to run this car for 10 years. With the guaranteed re-sale on a PCP there is no realistic case to bin off that sort of money for possibly 12 months of use.
Remember that there are two tiers of new AP hardware now. Look at the Tesla configurator. The cheaper "Enchanced Autopilot" is level 4 autonomy, which most likely doesn't require "driverless" regulatory approval. "Full-autonomous" which cost even more is level 5 (full driverless), this one could be more tricky in terms of which gov is willing to approve such car on road. Keep in mind that the old autopilot system is only a level 2 system. Significantly less capability.

Just talked to my DS. My car was one of the last ones with AP1. Will cancel order tomorrow. S went in production the 10oct X the 17th

In Hong Kong cancellation costs equivalent to US$6400. Even worse, if I miss the delivery this time, there is a chance that I am charged tax up to comparable with the car price (the Hong Kong government will announce in January whether to charge it, how much to charge and start to charge it April if they decide to). So I will probably still take it even if it is AP1.

Last edited:
Remember that there are two tiers of new AP hardware now. Look at the Tesla configurator. The cheaper "Enchanced Autopilot" is level 4 autonomy, which most likely doesn't require "driverless" regulatory approval. "Full-autonomous" which cost even more is level 5 (full driverless), this one could be more tricky in terms of which gov is willing to approve such car on road. Keep in mind that the old autopilot system is only a level 2 system. Significantly less capability.
There are two tiers of of new AP SOFTware. The hardware suite is the same on all newly produced cars. That's why you can activate the Autonomous feature after you take possession of your car.

There are two tiers of of new AP SOFTware. The hardware suite is the same on all newly produced cars. That's why you can activate the Autonomous feature after you take possession of your car.

From what we have heard there are technically 4 available combinations:
  • Hardware version 1 with AP Convenience features
  • Hardware version 2 with AP Convenience features (For people that orderd before the reveal and paid for AP1 but will get AP2 hardware, you can pay the difference to upgrade to Enhanced AP.)
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP & Full autonomy.

From what we have heard there are technically 4 available combinations:
  • Hardware version 1 with AP Convenience features
  • Hardware version 2 with AP Convenience features (For people that orderd before the reveal and paid for AP1 but will get AP2 hardware, you can pay the difference to upgrade to Enhanced AP.)
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP
  • Hardware version 2 with Enhanced AP & Full autonomy.
Yes. That's the way it was explained to me as well.

I am a bit confused by "Hardware version 2 with AP Convenience features (For people that orderd before the reveal and paid for AP1 but will get AP2 hardware, you can pay the difference to upgrade to Enhanced AP.)"

What would be the actual installed hardware? New AP (without Full Autonomy upgrade) but software limited to AP 1.0 "Convenience" features?