Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When I wake up my charge is less than what I set it to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all just picked up my new s75D last week. I have a home charger installed and I plug in every night and have the charge set to 90%. The last two mornings when I check my car via the app the charge is at 88% and it says charging complete. Is this normal? Why did I lose 2% overnight off the battery when the car is plugged in? Last night I verified the car was at 90% before bed.

I know 2% is not a big deal I am just wondering why the battery would lose charge when it was plugged in.

The car loses about 3 miles per day due to background activity )computers, internet connection, etc.) If you check it frequently with the app, it will lose more. It will recharge back up to 90% after dropping 10-12 miles. Leave it plugged in when you're not using it, even if charging is completed.

I think the threshold is 3% drop from your target level, where it will then do another recharge cycle at your next scheduled time. It's for safety that it doesn't keep the 240V energized in the charge cable and the high voltage battery engaged constantly to trickle charge it to keep it exactly at your 90% level.

If you put the car in maximum energy saving mode, you can reduce the vampire loss.

But that also loses some functionality - such as constant connectivity to the internet or cabin overheat protection.

When travelling, I usually turn on the energy saving features - and when we're at home, I usually turn them off, which means the car will lose several % of charge each day - more noticeable if the car is sitting the car for a couple of days.

During Harvey - we parked our new S 100D in a multi-story parking garage for almost a week - and turned on all of the energy saving features - and when we got back to the car, it had lost very little energy while it was parked...