Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is Tesla gonna start producing for U.S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

massonron192

Model 3 performance on order
Nov 5, 2019
Philadelphia
So it looks like Tesla is still producing majority of its cars for international markets. From recent pictures of trailers of with only right sided steering and euro plates it confirms that. So when is Tesla gonna switch over to domestic costumers? It’s getting ridiculous how some people have waited now, with some performance customers going back to September. I’m still going to wait but cmon Tesla, where’s these cars or at least vins with a real timeline. I feel like no one is getting cars delivered to them.

If it's anything like previous quarters, they seem to have a glut of US cars tied to end of quarter to try to capitalize on incentives. Since time from production -> cash on hand is much shorter, they don't really need to make them until December even to make a sale by end of quarter.

As to when? Who knows. Only Tesla.

I'm one of those September orders. My main frustration has been with financing as rates since then have gone higher than what I was going to get. I'm holding off on reapplying until that VIN time comes.

I am a Tesla fan through and through, but this experience has been discouraging.

I just posted in another thread, the SA i just talked to said they are still making cars for over seas, they have one production line for model x in the US right now supposedly. and that december will be the big switch to NA

So it looks like Tesla is still producing majority of its cars for international markets. From recent pictures of trailers of with only right sided steering and euro plates it confirms that. So when is Tesla gonna switch over to domestic costumers? It’s getting ridiculous how some people have waited now, with some performance customers going back to September. I’m still going to wait but cmon Tesla, where’s these cars or at least vins with a real timeline. I feel like no one is getting cars delivered to them.

You had 2 years head start on buying a model 3 and now its our turn.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
That’s easy, when they stop producing cars for other regions, lol.

It has been a few years, but I didn’t realize I’d enjoy reading all the belly aching from the frustrated and impatient. Go to ANY car forum and you’ll see the same complaining. Almost certain it never makes anyone take delivery faster, lol.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce
So I'm guessing based on this schedule if one was to order today, there would be no way they could take delivery by December 31st? What do you guys think?

no one knows, but I think the likely outcome would be that, as long as you could take delivery when they told you first time, of the first car they offered to you, you would probably get one this year.... the same basic time that someone who ordered end of september beginning of october got theirs.

I think people really just want to know what the real situation is - and when they “might” get their car. Tesla is not run by amateurs. If they wanted to, I’m sure they could give us a pretty good idea of when production will occur. For some reason, all we get is conflicting information or no information at all.

If they are going to bother to answer their phones, e-mails, and texts - why don’t they give some accurate info? There’s no national security around this.

Reactions: giantshark18
So I'm guessing based on this schedule if one was to order today, there would be no way they could take delivery by December 31st? What do you guys think?

According to the website, they're still suggesting that the turnaround is 5-7 weeks. Which would place you receiving a car before the 30th of December. They're about to ramp up NA production in a huge way to meet those demands. If you waited more than a day or two to order, however, I would assume no, that's a risk as that point. You can always cancel your order if you don't have a delivery slated before the 31st though, so it's not a risky choice to go ahead and order one.

According to the website, they're still suggesting that the turnaround is 5-7 weeks. Which would place you receiving a car before the 30th of December. They're about to ramp up NA production in a huge way to meet those demands. If you waited more than a day or two to order, however, I would assume no, that's a risk as that point. You can always cancel your order if you don't have a delivery slated before the 31st though, so it's not a risky choice to go ahead and order one.

Why are people going to believe the website? Its not like its been very accurate for months. For many of us its said “2-3 weeks.” An oversight of programming at Tesla? Doubt it.

When Tesla changed its deposit from $2500 refundable to $100 non-refundable something changed at Tesla. I don’t know what it is - but I’m sure their execs do. All we know is that we have to guess now. It’s not like we will have accurate information until (or if) we drive our cars home.

Why can’t Tesla tell us anything real? All we did was order a car. Is that so terrible in Tesla’s eyes?

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
It takes at least a month to ship from California to Europe via the Panama Canal. The cars then have to pass customs, ship to the countries delivery center and delivered to customer. Assuming Tesla wants to book European sales this quarter, they pretty much need to be produced by now.

Why are people going to believe the website? Its not like its been very accurate for months. For many of us its said “2-3 weeks.” An oversight of programming at Tesla? Doubt it.

Why can’t Tesla tell us anything real? All we did was order a car. Is that so terrible in Tesla’s eyes?

Because the mass update to timelines happened when the 2-3 timeline changed to the 6-10 week timeline. And since then, the dates have been reflecting variably almost daily. There's also a mention to take delivery prior to the end of the year to receive the tax credit. I'm in the same boat, the 2 week timeline changed on me, and I'm sitting at 6 weeks currently, but the update to reflect new timelines was to be more accurate, not muddy the waters more.

Like I said, you can always cancel if it's not going to happen by the 31st. Not a huge deal.

Because the mass update to timelines happened when the 2-3 timeline changed to the 6-10 week timeline. And since then, the dates have been reflecting variably almost daily. There's also a mention to take delivery prior to the end of the year to receive the tax credit. I'm in the same boat, the 2 week timeline changed on me, and I'm sitting at 6 weeks currently, but the update to reflect new timelines was to be more accurate, not muddy the waters more.

Like I said, you can always cancel if it's not going to happen by the 31st. Not a huge deal.

To a lot of people this is a huge deal. They have sold their cars or tried to lock in a trade-in value, they have arranged loans that have expiration dates. Each time they redo their financing, their credit takes a hit.

Yes, Tesla clearly made a policy change mid October. They mention that people need to take delivery before the 31st to get the Fed tax credit, but they do not say that people ordering will get their cars by the 31st. Subtle wording.

We (including you) have waited a long time, changed our schedules, etc - all to wait for what may or may not happen. So, yes - it definitely is a big deal.

I understand that you are caught in the middle of this like anyone else. You deserve better. Anyone making a $50K-$60K purchase deserves better. The problem is that Tesla somehow changed the plan and many of us got caught in the middle of it.

I don’t want to go out today and buy another car - do you? No. So yes, it sucks.

Reactions: holmgang
To a lot of people this is a huge deal. They have sold their cars or tried to lock in a trade-in value, they have arranged loans that have expiration dates. Each time they redo their financing, their credit takes a hit.

Yes, Tesla clearly made a policy change mid October. They mention that people need to take delivery before the 31st to get the Fed tax credit, but they do not say that people ordering will get their cars by the 31st. Subtle wording.

We (including you) have waited a long time, changed our schedules, etc - all to wait for what may or may not happen. So, yes - it definitely is a big deal.

I understand that you are caught in the middle of this like anyone else. You deserve better. Anyone making a $50K-$60K purchase deserves better. The problem is that Tesla somehow changed the plan and many of us got caught in the middle of it.

I don’t want to go out today and buy another car - do you? No. So yes, it sucks.

I'm strictly referring to the gentleman asking if he should place an order now, not referring to anyone who has already placed an order.
You and I are in very different situations, and I would never describe this one as 'not a big deal'

As others have stated, Tesla produces on a quarterly basis, with production early in each quarter slated for overseas deliveries, followed by production for the eastern US and Canada, and production late in each quarter destined for the western US and eventually just California. This enables Tesla to maximize production in a given quarter to be delivered in the same quarter, which is good for Tesla's bottom line.

The trouble is that, for a period of several months, Tesla was specifying "2 weeks" as the delivery time for all US orders. This 2-week figure was fairly accurate for orders in the final month or so of each quarter, even for "fresh" deliveries from the factory. Earlier in the quarter, it would only be accurate if Tesla happened to have a car in inventory nearby, and that often required changing some detail, like the car's color. Thus, lots of people said that the 2-week delivery estimate was misleading, and there's some truth to that -- even if some people got their cars within that window, others would not. Understanding Tesla's production schedule was -- and is -- key to predicting how soon you'll get a car that you order.

It seems to me that Tesla has taken the criticism of the "2 week" delivery estimate to heart and has updated their Web site. A few weeks ago, the delivery estimate for US orders jumped considerably, but it's come down since then. (It currently specifies 5-7 weeks.) I haven't tracked the figures precisely, but it looks like all these estimates are aiming for late December deliveries, which is consistent with what's happened in previous quarters. If Tesla's Web site is to be believed, they have few or no cars in inventory in my area, and I'd guess that would be true nationwide, so buyers today can't count on getting a car from inventory quicker than the end of December.

My own prediction, which is worth precisely as much as anybody's paid for it, is that Tesla will deliver the vast majority of cars ordered (in the US) before the end of November by the end of December, and probably most of those ordered before mid-December, too. This is consistent with what's happened in previous quarters. Case in point: I ordered my car in mid-March (the 14th, I believe) and received it on March 30th. That's not quite within the 2-week delivery window Tesla was claiming at the time, but it's close enough. OTOH, the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays may slow down production and delivery a bit at the end of the quarter. I have no idea what Tesla's production schedule is for the holidays. It's also conceivable that Tesla has a bigger backlog of orders now than they have at similar points in other recent quarters, in which case orders placed past December 1, or maybe even today, might slip into January, or conceivably even later.

Reactions: huangm777
I'm strictly referring to the gentleman asking if he should place an order now, not referring to anyone who has already placed an order.
You and I are in very different situations, and I would never describe this one as 'not a big deal'

Actually it's a bigger deal for you as you have waited for 6 weeks and have heard nothing on the east coast. I am on the west coast and it is clear that I will get around 2-4th week in December - period.

I think it's fair to say that it will be a pinch for everyone who ordered. A spin of the wheel. It's almost mid-November. There's just so much that can be delivered. At least around here - there are no additional delivery centers that I know of. If Tesla set up a few places to take up the slack, then it could be possible.

Actually it's a bigger deal for you as you have waited for 6 weeks and have heard nothing on the east coast. I am on the west coast and it is clear that I will get around 2-4th week in December - period.

I think it's fair to say that it will be a pinch for everyone who ordered. A spin of the wheel. It's almost mid-November. There's just so much that can be delivered. At least around here - there are no additional delivery centers that I know of. If Tesla set up a few places to take up the slack, then it could be possible.

Of course it would help Tesla if they could pound out all the S/X (and P3's) orders from California to be delivered before 12/3 when the rebate goes away. Given that sales of the S/X are down they should have the production capacity to fill those orders quickly.