Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When should I re-calibrate the cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(bump)
I have the same question, is there any downside (other than Autopilot unavailability for ~20 miles)?
No downside but I would only do a recalibration if FSD started to behave really badly and out of the norm. Would also reset the UI and recycle power. Tesla does recommend recalibrating on the highway if possible in a center lane. Noted in the manual.

I've never needed to calibrate. However due to anecdotal reports on TMC that it can improve FSD beta behavior, I decided to try it. It made no difference for me.

It's always struck me as a "can't hurt" option, but likely ineffective for the vast majority of situations.

There's also the placebo effect.

Fact is that they are calibrated during normal driving. They are considered unreliable until they have seen enough driving.

If this is so, then they can be, and most likely are, continuously or occasionally recalibrated during normal driving. This means there is no need to recalibrate them, unless the car has experienced a major change, like an accident or the replacement of a camera.

Is there any chance that a new self-calibration could change where the car centers in the lane? It runs further to the left than I like. It was a new MYLR in early June and only calibrated once but not on a five lane road (I'm not in CA!). Does where you drive in the lane or which lane you drive in have any effect on calibration? Tesla wants five (or more!) lanes and minimal traffic. That ain't happening any time soon for me. I use auto-steer a lot on both 4 lane Interstates (occasionally 6 lane) and 2 lane (bi-directional traffic) roads. I find it works really well 99.9% of the time except for staying a bit more to the right.

I usually recalibrate with every FSD beta version. I simply drive down the interstate and calibration takes about 10 miles or less. My interstate has two lanes and always has a lot of traffic.

I've never had a lane centering issue in any event.

Reactions: Dewg
According to a senior technician, the car is constantly recalibrating as you drive, so generally speaking, there should not be any reason to manually recalibrate.
just passing on what he told me
That begs the question as to why they want you to calibrate in the center lane of 3 or 5 (or more!) lanes? Does it give you a better initial calibration? And does it recalibrate when not using autosteer? Dealing with imperfect automation is enough of a challenge without adding ignorance about how things work because Tesla won't tell us.

Calibration is only needed when either the cameras or windshield is replaced.
The car continuously works on its calibration.
Many drivers know that Autopilot has issues with lane centering and, hope the next update might improve it. Unfortunately, some updates have improved centering, only to have subsequent updates make it worse.
Don’t expect them to tell you everything, or anything beyond the release notes.
Just enjoy the drive, if you’re uncomfortable with the centering, take control. Each time you take control the car learns. Every night billions of bits of data are sent to the mothership.
If it’s really an issue, and you’re part of the FSD Beta program, try pressing camera icon, and then send an email to [email protected] describing the issue, detailing the location, description, etc. It would help if you used (voice command) “bug report”, then provide a brief description. This will provide a bookmark for the engineers to locate and research the exact state of the car when it goofed.

My car drives closer enough to a side wall that the proximity warnings appear.

I can't dispute anything that has been said here, because we don't know for sure exactly how the system works. All I can give is personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and correlation. When the car starts doing something odd, like not centering properly (which is rare for me), I recalibrate. Then my centering issues are resolved. Can I be sure that my recalibration fixed the centering problem? Nope. But I'll ask this: Does it hurt to recalibrate? If doing so makes things worse, then avoid it. If it makes things even slightly better, then why not do it?

The issue being resolved might be spurious correlation. Don't know.
Again, per a Tesla senior technician, there is no need to do it, as the car is continuously recalibrating.
Who knows, maybe 6 months of calibration is better than starting from scratch???
As an aside, in New York City, every intersection has a button to press to change the traffic light for folks wanting to cross the street. The system hasn't worked in 50 years, but every day people press the button to cross... so, it it gives you piece of mind, go for it!