Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably depends on your preferred configuration. Black interior / Black exterior? You might be able to get an inventory model and take delivery within 3 days. Other exterior paint or interior trim configurations might mean they need to manufacture your car and it could be a while until it's ready for delivery.

You can check your local inventory here: New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Good luck!

A friend of mine just ordered a SR+ in-store yesterday, and they told her that the current 2 week estimate shown on the website is fairly accurate. I can report back to see if the estimate held. She ordered red and black interior, aero wheels.

Probably depends on your preferred configuration. Black interior / Black exterior? You might be able to get an inventory model and take delivery within 3 days. Other exterior paint or interior trim configurations might mean they need to manufacture your car and it could be a while until it's ready for delivery.

You can check your local inventory here: New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Good luck!
Blue with Black

I would call Tesla sales and ask them. The lead time will probably depend on your options, your location and competing orders for the same. I ordered a SR+ 3/18 and was surprised it delivered in only 5 days. My friend ordered his SR a month later and his was delivered in about 2 weeks. We are both in San Diego. There may be a rush for June deliveries which is the last month to receive the $3750 federal credit before it's halved to $1875 starting with July deliveries.

Blue with Black
I order the same SR+, Aero wheels and FSD which means nothing except Telsa's margins just increase 10% on my buy.

Ordered April 14. Exactly 2 weeks later got a delivery date of May 14. It will be 3 weeks since order tomorrow.

Called Tesla Canada last week and they said my order was assigned a DA but no VIN yet but Tesla should respect the delivery day as my order is predisposed at being made often at Fremont. Not really believing it. We will see if they were feeding me a canned line.

There may be a rush for June deliveries which is the last month to receive the $3750 federal credit before it's halved to $1875 starting with July deliveries.

The end of June is also the end of the fiscal quarter. Historically, Tesla has often scheduled production and transport to maximize deliveries of cars built in a given quarter within that same quarter. Thus, I suspect that if you place an order in the first half of June, the odds of your getting it that month are very high, especially if you're located in the US. Blue with black exterior is a fairly common color combination, so I'd expect it would be fairly available. (White interiors, in particular, seem to be much rarer than black interiors.) That said, a non-Plus SR is the cheapest version, so Tesla might prioritize SR+ deliveries because that will help them squeeze out more profit for the quarter. Thus, I'd recommend ordering no later than the first week of June, or maybe even late May if an early June delivery is acceptable. There are no guarantees on delivery times, of course, especially not from random people you meet on the Internet. ;)

FWIW, TeslaFi has a statistics page in which they track Tesla color popularity among their users. Currently, it's showing the following for Model 3:
  • Solid Black: 689
  • Midnight Silver: 662
  • Deep Blue: 631
  • Pearl White: 414
  • Red Multicoat: 408
  • Silver Metallic: 122
  • Signature Blue: 1
  • Default: 1
  • Silver: 1
  • Pearl: 1
Silver Metallic has been discontinued, and I assume the four beneath that are mis-reads or variant names. It's also possible that the TeslaFi data on this are unreliable. (I'm pretty sure there used to be another black variant that was discontinued at the same time as the silver, but it's not showing up here -- unless both black variants show up as "Solid Black.") I include this data to point out that none of the five current colors is hugely more or less popular than any of the others, but blue is moderately more popular (and therefore likely more available) than white or red.

Do yourself a favor and order ASAP. Don’t listen to their “2 weeks” as that is typically an anomaly. I order on April 16 and was assigned a VIN 2 days later only to have them release my VIN and now I’ve been assigned a new VIN some 3 weeks into the process. Be warned that their level of communication is terrible and the order process is a very lonely bumpy road. I know the car will be worth it so I’ve stayed the course but assuming I get my car in May, the order will have taken closer to 6 weeks. I’m in Buffalo, NY for what that’s worth.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Simply put, you probably aren't going to be able to fine tune a delivery that much, especially trying to hit the tax credit.
The SR also seems to be a little more problematic as I've hear a lot of "I've been waiting" from folks.

The end of the quarter probably will be a push, but to take advantage of it, you will want to be flexible.

Reactions: clos2pin
There is a sticky at the top. Peruse that and see what it looks like. I had expected a pretty long wait.....about 8 weeks. SO I ordered on 4/29, to give me 8 weeks and some buffer beffore the end of June (for the tax benefit). Well, got my VIN today.....8 days later. Usually the VINs come a few days before delivery, zoinks.

Anyone want to buy a sweet 535i M-Sport 6-speed? Had hoped to have more time to find the right buyer!

It depends on what you order. White interiors are scarce people are still waiting for them to come in who have ordered first week the sr + was out (myself being one of them). If you order black interior chances are higher you will get it sooner. My recommendation order it ASAP because delivery timelines are all over the place.

You need to take delivery by June 30 to get the $3750 tax credit.

There's the chance you'll get matched to something in inventory and get a car in 2 days. There's a chance you won't and will need to wait on a build, which could take weeks or months. And it's already 1/3rd through May.

There's even the chance you'll need to reject your initial delivery because it's delivered with a problem (this isn't common but DOES happen once in a while).

In other words, don't wait unless you're ok possibly not taking delivery till after the credit cuts in half.