Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Will Canada Have Superchargers?

When Will Canada's First Supercharger Open?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that we are now at the first anniversary of the Detroit service center being listed as "coming soon", the chademo adapter the better part of a year overdue, the Model X way behind initial schedule, etc., I'm afraid "later than that" is the only safe choice. Hopefully, the I-94/401/A-20 corridor will be up and running when Gen III ships (which they keep saying 2017, about when my car will probably need to be replaced, but given the track record of badly-missed dates, I have a feeling I'll be getting a Volt when that day comes :crying:).

I have way too much math education to place a bet without being able to properly analyze a situation, and there is just no information available to do an analysis, so I'm not "voting".

Based on my extremely positive experience with the Tesla company, and the fact that they have been advertising installation of Canadian superchargers in the near future for over 6 months, I would argue that they would like those chargers installed ASAP, so I don't think that Tesla is the holdup.

On the other hand, based on my experience with regulatory bodies, I would say that "God only knows when a Supercharger will open in Canada, and even she's not willing to place a bet!"

Tomorrow would be nice....

Model S at 220V 30A (5.8 kW) charges at about 27 km/h.

Roadster at 220V 30A (5.8 kW) charges at about 41 km/h.

About 50% better.

Doug, when you say "220V 30A (5.8 kW)" are you factoring in a power factor for an inductive load as 220V x 30A across a resistive load is 6.6kW? Or, are you factoring in inefficiencies in the in-car electronics (rectifier and inverter). Or, do you just need another cup of coffee?

Model S at 220V 30A (5.8 kW) charges at about 27 km/h.

Roadster at 220V 30A (5.8 kW) charges at about 41 km/h.

About 50% better.

My bad! You are sort of correct.

The Roadster uses about 28% less energy per mile [(290-208)/290], but 1/72% is 39% faster charge rate. I was fooled by the 1/x percent issues.

I charge at a 70 Amp/240 Volt J1772 in Salida, CO. I get about 49 mph in the MS and about 68 mph in the Roadster. That is 39% faster charging in the Roadster; somewhere between 30% and 50%...

The Roadster uses about 28% less energy per mile [(290-208)/290], but 1/72% is 39% faster charge rate. I was fooled by the 1/x percent issues.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I was just using off-the-cuff round numbers, since I didn't have any data handy (I do at home). But 30% was definitely too low.

That is 39% faster charging in the Roadster; somewhere between 30% and 50%...

LOL okay I guess we split the difference!

I'm changing my vote to June.
Just got an inside scoop that the permits should be completed and then the ground broken within the next week for Toronto!
They are still optimistic for June completion. And maintain the schedule for other parts of Ontario as previously discussed here.
I've asked for permission to post the email. We'll see.

Same route, but traveling at different times... I am going to drive up (leaving a little earlier than Cindy) with my daughter...Cindy is driving the S and taking her parents...she is hoping to use the Kingston area Supercharger (should it be operational by that date)...if not, then they will take an extended lunch in Cobourg at the BW.

Russell Beach! You want to contact the event organizers: [email protected]

So are you and Cyndy taking different routes, so you don't get in the way of each other's charging?