Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Chademo adapters be back in stock?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered my model 3 performance and I live on Oahu where there are no superchargers, plus my condo building doesn't have dedicated parking so I need to rely on charging stations scattered through town. I understand that in order to realistically make this work I'll need a Chademo adapter (right?) but they're out of stock with no estimated day when they'll be available again. I'm worried my car will be delivered (6-10 weeks from now) and I'll have no practical way of charging it.. Sort of depending on this Chademo adapter to become available again before my car is delivered. Does anyone have an idea of when that might be? Are there alternatives? I clearly don't know much about electric car charging...

I just ordered my model 3 performance and I live on Oahu where there are no superchargers, plus my condo building doesn't have dedicated parking so I need to rely on charging stations scattered through town. I understand that in order to realistically make this work I'll need a Chademo adapter (right?) but they're out of stock with no estimated day when they'll be available again. I'm worried my car will be delivered (6-10 weeks from now) and I'll have no practical way of charging it.. Sort of depending on this Chademo adapter to become available again before my car is delivered. Does anyone have an idea of when that might be? Are there alternatives? I clearly don't know much about electric car charging...
The last time it went out of stock, it was back in stock a month later. About the 5th to the 5th. So it may be in stock again in a week or so, if you're lucky. Then again, people are complaining that they haven't received their early July orders yet.
I won't need my adapter anymore at the end of August. It's located in Maui, so maybe a quicker ship? I was going to advertise it here eventually. I'd still watch the Tesla store, and jump on buying immediately if the adapter becomes available. Hawaii EV infrastructure sucks, Maui is even worse than Oahu, and westside Maui is abysmal. Plus there are a bajillion Leaf owners.

AFAIK, there's no way to predict when an item that's out of stock on Tesla's Web store will come back in stock. The best you can do is to click the link to be notified by e-mail and then watch your in-box carefully. These adapters tend to stay in stock for very short periods, and AFAIK there's no way to reserve one, so it's a mad rush when they come back in stock.

There are a couple of alternatives. One is to buy on eBay or from some other online store. Some of these listings are basically scalpers, but some are non-sleazy owners who've decided to sell their used devices. Either way, though, prices are likely to be high. Also, be sure you get a US-spec model. The last I checked, I saw a lot of European CHAdeMO adapters on eBay, and those won't work in the US, because the Tesla-side plug won't fit.

The second alternative is the Setec CCS adapter. This is a third-party device, so there's some risk of it failing in the future because of a Tesla software update; and some people are not comfortable using a third-party adapter. It's also more expensive than Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, at $563.99 from its official US distributor, Lectron. There's a very long thread on it here. Be aware that early posts in that thread are heavy on problems, but most of those were resolved with device firmware updates. The device is still not 100% reliable, but it's much better than it was in December, when it was introduced in the US. CCS might or might not be more common than CHAdeMO in your area; you'll have to check PlugShare or other apps to find local stations.