Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are sellers getting Model 3 parts for dirt cheap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that there's a large number of defective/imperfect parts for sale on ebay, etc. - mainly coming out of CA. When I was buying a CF spoiler for my P3D-, the seller initially sent me a bad one, and then sent another that fit well (or, as well as it gets). I saw a photo of his warehouse/storage that was filled w/ miscellaneous TM3 parts covered in dust, including a rear trunk lid still in its huge OEM box. I'm sure some of this stuff is salvage... but other stuff, I'm not so sure...

How does this process actually work?

I do not work at Tesla, but I work in supply chain. Once a part is deemed not good enough (quality, obsolescence, etc) parts are scrapped usually via an ECO. At that point the part becomes useless for both the manufacturer and the buyer (in this case Tesla). It is then scrapped at cost to either the manufacturer or buyer depending on the circumstances, financially it is written off. At this point this part or parts are taking up valuable space at a warehouse or at the manufacturer and having to pay carrying costs, they want to get rid of it as fast as possible. Since the part is already written off they are not worried about cost and just want to get back what they can for it while also making it go away. This is where other buyers come in and buy the parts and then they end up back on the market on eBay where they can be sold at a markup.

I do not work at Tesla, but I work in supply chain. Once a part is deemed not good enough (quality, obsolescence, etc) parts are scrapped usually via an ECO. At that point the part becomes useless for both the manufacturer and the buyer (in this case Tesla). It is then scrapped at cost to either the manufacturer or buyer depending on the circumstances, financially it is written off. At this point this part or parts are taking up valuable space at a warehouse or at the manufacturer and having to pay carrying costs, they want to get rid of it as fast as possible. Since the part is already written off they are not worried about cost and just want to get back what they can for it while also making it go away. This is where other buyers come in and buy the parts and then they end up back on the market on eBay where they can be sold at a markup.
ECO?