Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the "missing" Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
As of today, Jan. 23, 2014, there are 71 completed Supercharger locations in the U.S. and 9 Supercharger locations that are under construction in the U.S. Looking at Tesla's map, there are 85 or 86 dots shown under the section "Coming Soon". That means there are 5 or 6 locations in the U.S. that have not yet been discovered. Anyone know where these locations are?

We only have 70 live right now.

The wiki map says that Greenwich is live but it's not just yet - Superchargers

However 3 (4 different pages) locations should be turned on really soon based on the redirect pages.

Eau Claire, WI
Hagerstown, MD
Greenwich, CT (South)
Greenwich, CT (North)

We're not missing too many, but we do need another push to find the others. Maybe we need to list out where they're supposed to be and see if we can start finding them one by one.

I am going by Teslawiki, which indicates 71 Superchargers are on-line and 9 Superchargers are under construction. The 3 (4) Superchargers mentioned above are shown on Teslawiki. The Greenwich, CT (southbound) location is shown as being on-line (per several TMC members indicating such). Hagerstown and Eau Claire are shown as being under construction. This still appears to leave 5 or 6 locations that we do not know about.

Once this phase is completed, it appears (based on an email a member received from the Supercharger Team at Tesla) that they will begin the southern route. Could this be I40 or I10?

Here are the "coming soon" chargers which are not known to be under construction:
Squamish, BC: location unknown
Roseville, CA: location known, no construction yet
Oxnard, CA: location known, no construction yet
Indio, CA: location unknown, but perhaps Cabazon outlet mall location (no construction yet as far as TMC knows) will replace Indio?
El Centro, CA: location generally known (but not where in the mall), no construction yet but will start soon
Gila Bend, AZ: location known, no construction yet
Edison, NJ: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Albany, NY: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Woodbridge, VA: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Plymouth, NC: location unknown

Here are the "coming soon" chargers which are not known to be under construction:
Squamish, BC: location unknown
Roseville, CA: location known, no construction yet
Oxnard, CA: location known, no construction yet
Indio, CA: location unknown, but perhaps Cabazon outlet mall location (no construction yet as far as TMC knows) will replace Indio?
El Centro, CA: location generally known (but not where in the mall), no construction yet but will start soon
Gila Bend, AZ: location known, no construction yet
Edison, NJ: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Albany, NY: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Woodbridge, VA: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
Plymouth, NC: location unknown

Great recap. Maybe place this in the main thread and see if we can get some traction on any of these areas?

My take on SpC in the wings, nearly ready to become active:

** San Juan Capistrano, CA
** Merritt Parkway North, CT
** Bethesda ,MD (temporary SpC)
** Las Vegas, NV
** Cranberry, PA
** Eau Claire, WI
** Pleasant Prairie, WI

Three more are under various states of construction in AZ: Buckeye, Gila Bend and Yuma

And one in CA: El Centro

Liken this to a good football game: Half-time is over, get ready for the Real Team to make things happen.
Definitely NOT time for Resting.
Looking for new and undiscovered Horizons, SpC individual locations and a LOT more SpC linkages/connections...

"Well deserved rest"? No way. Keep it up, I say. Hurry up, I say. I wanna see 250 SuperChargers. I wanna see 'em all with solar roofs and grid storage. Full speed ahead, I say.

I would love to drive across the country, but I'm not going to the Dakotas from San Diego just to get to DC. That should be an I-40 to I-81 to I-66 corridor.

[Heresy alert: of course, as much as I'm eager to do a cross-country trip in a Model S, the idea of adding, oh, 6,000 miles of depreciation to the car (dollar a mile, right?) plus extra hotel nights because of all the SC charging downtime is enough to make me think about renting a fancy ICE instead.]

Any new locations announced? Or is Tesla taking a well deserved rest?

The only official announcement is the clever use of the "red dot" on the Supercharger webpage. Anything else is from data gathered by the many TMC Supercharger sleuths that find out when the pallets arrive and take pictures, etc. (guilty!)

A true TMC/Tesla geek is always on the lookout for the next SC with the clever use of social engineering. Digging, poking, calling, and assuming are all tricks of the trade. Once you come across an SC under construction, the installation crew is a goldmine of information. Bring them coffee and/or sandwiches and they sing like birds. Once you realize these people are working to bring you unlimited FREE* charges for your car, you look at them a bit differently.

And no, Tesla will NOT take a rest on opening Superchargers. They have plenty left to before the 2015 dots are lit. The aforementioned construction crews are loving the work, too ($$$).

My take on SpC in the wings, nearly ready to become active:

** San Juan Capistrano, CA
** Merritt Parkway North, CT
** Bethesda ,MD (temporary SpC)
** Las Vegas, NV
** Cranberry, PA
** Eau Claire, WI
** Pleasant Prairie, WI

Three more are under various states of construction in AZ: Buckeye, Gila Bend and Yuma

And one in CA: El Centro

Liken this to a good football game: Half-time is over, get ready for the Real Team to make things happen.
Definitely NOT time for Resting.
Looking for new and undiscovered Horizons, SpC individual locations and a LOT more SpC linkages/connections...

You can add Merritt Parkway South, CT. The charger is complete and tested it is simply waiting for the Service Plaza to reopen after a year long renovation. The crew estimates it should open in about a week or 2.