TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Where are the "missing" Superchargers?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by swegman, Jan 23, 2014.

1. swegman

swegman Member

As of today, Jan. 23, 2014, there are 71 completed Supercharger locations in the U.S. and 9 Supercharger locations that are under construction in the U.S. Looking at Tesla's map, there are 85 or 86 dots shown under the section "Coming Soon". That means there are 5 or 6 locations in the U.S. that have not yet been discovered. Anyone know where these locations are?

2. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

We only have 70 live right now.

The wiki map says that Greenwich is live but it's not just yet - Superchargers

However 3 (4 different pages) locations should be turned on really soon based on the redirect pages.

Eau Claire, WI
    Hagerstown, MD
    Greenwich, CT (South)
    Greenwich, CT (North)

We're not missing too many, but we do need another push to find the others. Maybe we need to list out where they're supposed to be and see if we can start finding them one by one.

3. swegman

swegman Member

I am going by Teslawiki, which indicates 71 Superchargers are on-line and 9 Superchargers are under construction. The 3 (4) Superchargers mentioned above are shown on Teslawiki. The Greenwich, CT (southbound) location is shown as being on-line (per several TMC members indicating such). Hagerstown and Eau Claire are shown as being under construction. This still appears to leave 5 or 6 locations that we do not know about.

Once this phase is completed, it appears (based on an email a member received from the Supercharger Team at Tesla) that they will begin the southern route. Could this be I40 or I10?

4. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

The missing ones are all in Canada...:wink:

5. emupilot

emupilot Member

Here are the "coming soon" chargers which are not known to be under construction:
    Squamish, BC: location unknown
    Roseville, CA: location known, no construction yet
    Oxnard, CA: location known, no construction yet
    Indio, CA: location unknown, but perhaps Cabazon outlet mall location (no construction yet as far as TMC knows) will replace Indio?
    El Centro, CA: location generally known (but not where in the mall), no construction yet but will start soon
    Gila Bend, AZ: location known, no construction yet
    Edison, NJ: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
    Albany, NY: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
    Woodbridge, VA: location generally known but permits/lease not finalized
    Plymouth, NC: location unknown

6. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Great recap. Maybe place this in the main thread and see if we can get some traction on any of these areas?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

LOL I was about to post that!

It's a shame that Canada was the second country to have Model S, yet there are no Superchargers anywhere.

8. swegman

swegman Member

Has Tesla announced any new locations yet?

9. swegman

swegman Member

Any new locations announced? Or is Tesla taking a well deserved rest?

10. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

I'm fairly confident that El Centro, CA and Green River, UT are under construction.

11. purplewalt

purplewalt Active Member

My take on SpC in the wings, nearly ready to become active:

** San Juan Capistrano, CA
    ** Merritt Parkway North, CT
    ** Bethesda ,MD (temporary SpC)
    ** Las Vegas, NV
    ** Cranberry, PA
    ** Eau Claire, WI
    ** Pleasant Prairie, WI

Three more are under various states of construction in AZ: Buckeye, Gila Bend and Yuma

And one in CA: El Centro

Liken this to a good football game: Half-time is over, get ready for the Real Team to make things happen.
    Definitely NOT time for Resting.
    Looking for new and undiscovered Horizons, SpC individual locations and a LOT more SpC linkages/connections...

12. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

"Well deserved rest"? No way. Keep it up, I say. Hurry up, I say. I wanna see 250 SuperChargers. I wanna see 'em all with solar roofs and grid storage. Full speed ahead, I say.

I would love to drive across the country, but I'm not going to the Dakotas from San Diego just to get to DC. That should be an I-40 to I-81 to I-66 corridor.

[Heresy alert: of course, as much as I'm eager to do a cross-country trip in a Model S, the idea of adding, oh, 6,000 miles of depreciation to the car (dollar a mile, right?) plus extra hotel nights because of all the SC charging downtime is enough to make me think about renting a fancy ICE instead.]

13. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The only official announcement is the clever use of the "red dot" on the Supercharger webpage. Anything else is from data gathered by the many TMC Supercharger sleuths that find out when the pallets arrive and take pictures, etc. (guilty!)

A true TMC/Tesla geek is always on the lookout for the next SC with the clever use of social engineering. Digging, poking, calling, and assuming are all tricks of the trade. Once you come across an SC under construction, the installation crew is a goldmine of information. Bring them coffee and/or sandwiches and they sing like birds. Once you realize these people are working to bring you unlimited FREE* charges for your car, you look at them a bit differently.

And no, Tesla will NOT take a rest on opening Superchargers. They have plenty left to before the 2015 dots are lit. The aforementioned construction crews are loving the work, too ($$$).

14. Enadler

Enadler Member

You can add Merritt Parkway South, CT. The charger is complete and tested it is simply waiting for the Service Plaza to reopen after a year long renovation. The crew estimates it should open in about a week or 2.

15. emupilot

emupilot Member

There are a few which could open any day (San Juan Capistrano, Las Vegas, Yuma, Eau Claire, Bethesda) and maybe a dozen total in some stage of construction, so we will see fewer openings in February than in January.