Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yield signs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen plenty of opinions here that fsdb should not slow or stop for yield signs. I understand this is preferable in select situations, but one block from my house there is a yield sign where there should be a stop sign (4 way intersection). Beta would have already caused one tbone accident there if I hadn’t have braked quickly. It doesn’t acknowledge any sort of traffic control there whatsoever, nor does it check for cross traffic.

I understand that yield signs are relatively uncommon, but I’m surprised even the latest build hasn’t addressed this. I’m also surprised to see many posts here of people complaining about the car slowing excessively, because mine actually speeds up slightly. Yield signs mean just what they say, be cautious/slow down!

Yield means yield right of way. It is like a stop sign but only if other traffic is present. FSDB should slow down to assess the situation and determine if it’s ok to proceed or if it needs to yield to other trafffic.

Yield means yield right of way. It is like a stop sign but only if other traffic is present. FSDB should slow down to assess the situation and determine if it’s ok to proceed or if it needs to yield to other trafffic.
Exactly, the car recognizes dogs and trash cans but not yield signs or more importantly how to handle them. Hopefully it’s high on the list of issues to address.

Reactions: 240vPlug
Exactly, the car recognizes dogs and trash cans but not yield signs or more importantly how to handle them. Hopefully it’s high on the list of issues to address.
It seems like the code is part-way between map data and visual data, relying on one or the other in some situations, and both in others. My neighborhood recently put up a yield sign at one of the entrances, and the car happily turns right at the yield without slowing down much at all. My guess is that it's relying on map data in that instance and doesn't know about the sign, even though it shows up on visualization.

Make sure you report it when you encounter that sign, and make a mental note of the location so that in future trips you can adjust things accordingly (such as manually scrolling down the speed, or simply disengaging when approaching). Test periodically to see if the code has changed.

It seems like the code is part-way between map data and visual data, relying on one or the other in some situations, and both in others. My neighborhood recently put up a yield sign at one of the entrances, and the car happily turns right at the yield without slowing down much at all. My guess is that it's relying on map data in that instance and doesn't know about the sign, even though it shows up on visualization.

Make sure you report it when you encounter that sign, and make a mental note of the location so that in future trips you can adjust things accordingly (such as manually scrolling down the speed, or simply disengaging when approaching). Test periodically to see if the code has changed.
Your car visualizes yield signs? Mine sometimes shows one of them as a stop sign but ignores the other one as if there is no sign at all. These signs have been there for decades. I’ve reported it hundreds of times, doesn’t seem to make any difference. It does stop properly sometimes, but probably only 25% success.

I also have 4 way completely uncontrolled intersections in my neighborhood. This is in an urban area, my city has obviously neglected this neighborhood in terms of infrastructure. I haven’t tested .69 there yet, but previous versions have proceeded as if there is no intersection at all. This is very dangerous and will obviously need addressing before wide rollout.

Your car visualizes yield signs? Mine sometimes shows one of them as a stop sign but ignores the other one as if there is no sign at all. These signs have been there for decades. I’ve reported it hundreds of times, doesn’t seem to make any difference. It does stop properly sometimes, but probably only 25% success.

I also have 4 way completely uncontrolled intersections in my neighborhood. This is in an urban area, my city has obviously neglected this neighborhood in terms of infrastructure. I haven’t tested .69 there yet, but previous versions have proceeded as if there is no intersection at all. This is very dangerous and will obviously need addressing before wide rollout.
Alan has posted videos of similar issues with unmarked intersections in residential areas. I am curious how 69.2.2 handles them. Most of those intersections in my neighborhood are marked, or T junctions. I'll see if I can find neighborhoods around me with 4-way unmarked intersections and do some testing. Make sure you're disengaging, rolling down the speed manually, or hovering over the brake when in those areas to be cautious.

4 way uncontrolled intersections are fortunately rare especially in cities but the obvious point is fsd needs to assess cross traffic control while also reacting to direct traffic control. It doesn’t seem to do that yet which is surprising because I thought it was mentioned in the latest release notes.

Most of the time in my area, FSDb insists on treating most yields as stop signs regardless of visibility or traffic.
My local "torture test" route is a right turn yield which it stops for, followed by a left where only the cross traffic has a stop (we have right of way, no yield) where it usually stops anyway. Coming the other way, it completely ignores the "Cross traffic does not stop" sign - not good.
Then another left where the cross traffic has a yield - it stops here too. Then a right with a yield, yep, it stops here as well.
Next is a 4-way stop where it signals to go right when our route is straight on.
So far, no version of FSDb has come close to making it. But at least 10.69.2.2 can at least eventually get through that first yield, it just takes 20 seconds with lots of steering wheel spinning.