Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where in Tesla official documentation does it specify daily % charge rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 MSM Model Y 64xxx
I see a lot of stuff posted on the internet on daily charge level for Tesla's. People post and articles are written that say daily charge should be between xx% and xx% for battery longevity but this seems apocryphal at best. I've read the owners manual and there isn't anything written that says something like "charge to x% daily and only 90-100 when needing for trips".
I've settled on 85% for no valid reason other than I live in a cold climate and plan on keeping the car heated to 65 degrees when I go for two hour cross country skis. This is because I don't want to stop and take off my gloves to pre condition while I ski. Tough life I know.
I've always used the line that if it's not in the owners manual then it's just advice or the dealer trying to upsell you maintenance (ICE).

Thanks

The only legit piece of solid info that I can think of is that if you charge above 90% and let it sit too long then the BMS will scold you to not do that. So I'd say charge to 90% or less when sitting for a long period, charge above 90% only when needed and plan on driving right away and everything that anybody else says about "it's best to only charge to 80%... or 70% or 50%... is just a lot of speculation and noise.

You can see in app, in car, and in documentation that ‘daily’ charge range is 50-90% and ‘trip’ charge is 90-100%.

Though I’m not re-reading at your request, I believe it also says that for long term storage 50-69%. If it doesn’t, it should.

Tesla doesn’t say more than that, because they are selling simplicity to people used to gasoline. They don’t want to encourage people feeling stressed about charging regimen.

having said that, you are going to need to use your own bs detector. Physicists and engineers are unanimous: batteries are happiest with average state of charge at 50%. But the impact of charging daily to 90% vs perfectly maintaining 50% average is negligible.

most of the charge regimen yakking in this forum is people being anal about the “rated miles” estimate. It can lose calibration over time, and some people freak out over that.

Let me add something. Why do you come to a forum looking for information and lead off by discrediting what people say in forums? And then ask us to read manual for you? Forums by their nature are going to be full of great info and total garbage, and it is each of our jobs to sort that out. I’ve never had a problem with that... pretty easy to see what’s credible.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Let me add something. Why do you come to a forum looking for information and lead off by discrediting what people say in forums? And then ask us to read manual for you? Forums by their nature are going to be full of great info and total garbage, and it is each of our jobs to sort that out. I’ve never had a problem with that... pretty easy to see what’s credible.
I posted that I read the manual and couldn't find what I was looking for, thought I might have missed it. Trying to find out what the official tesla guidance is which is why I was looking for advice from a forum.

You can see in app, in car, and in documentation that ‘daily’ charge range is 50-90% and ‘trip’ charge is 90-100%.

Though I’m not re-reading at your request, I believe it also says that for long term storage 50-69%. If it doesn’t, it should.

Tesla doesn’t say more than that, because they are selling simplicity to people used to gasoline. They don’t want to encourage people feeling stressed about charging regimen.

having said that, you are going to need to use your own bs detector. Physicists and engineers are unanimous: batteries are happiest with average state of charge at 50%. But the impact of charging daily to 90% vs perfectly maintaining 50% average is negligible.

most of the charge regimen yakking in this forum is people being anal about the “rated miles” estimate. It can lose calibration over time, and some people freak out over that.
Doesn't say anything about daily charge rate in the MY manual and nothing about long term storage except being plugged in.

From the Tesla FAQ at Frequently Asked Questions - Home Charging Installation

What percentage should I charge the battery to?
Adjust how full the battery charges from the charge settings menu. For regular use, we recommend keeping your car set within the 'Daily' range bracket, up to approximately 90%. Charging up to 100% is best saved for when you are preparing for a longer trip.

Should I wait for the battery to fully deplete before charging?
Tesla uses lithium ion batteries so there is no memory effect, this means there is no need to deplete the battery before charging. We recommend plugging in as often as possible.

From the Tesla FAQ at Frequently Asked Questions - Home Charging Installation

What percentage should I charge the battery to?
Adjust how full the battery charges from the charge settings menu. For regular use, we recommend keeping your car set within the 'Daily' range bracket, up to approximately 90%. Charging up to 100% is best saved for when you are preparing for a longer trip.

Should I wait for the battery to fully deplete before charging?
Tesla uses lithium ion batteries so there is no memory effect, this means there is no need to deplete the battery before charging. We recommend plugging in as often as possible.
perfect, thanks.

I posted that I read the manual and couldn't find what I was looking for, thought I might have missed it. Trying to find out what the official tesla guidance is which is why I was looking for advice from a forum.
Sorry misread your tone. Official Tesla guidance has been plug in every night, set daily where you want in daily, and do trip charge if you are going to leave on long drive. And avoid 0 and 1000.

I've read the owners manual and there isn't anything written that says something like "charge to x% daily and only 90-100 when needing for trips".
The manual may or may not type that out, but the car itself TELLS you this, so there isn't much need for the manual to say it also.
In the "Charging" area of the app, where you set the amount of charge you want. you will see it marked out on the slider as "Daily" and "Trip.
So the car shows you the general area you should use for constant every single day kind of use, and then separates out the 90% to 100% area as designated for Trips, so you won't use that all the time. And if you do use that Trips area for a few days in a row, the car will show a warning that it's not a good idea--very straightforward.
Daily is anywhere between 50% and 80%. I charge mine to 80% - unless of course, I'm heading out on a trip.
That's a typo of course. It's 50% to 90%.
@michaelnorbert You're coming at this from an attitude of thinking that there is an exact true/false precise answer to this, but as @tomas was referencing, this is a situation that has to be a balance of what the technical, scientific research paper analysis is, versus how people need to practically use a car. That's why the Daily area of the charge limit is a big area from 50% to 90%. Data is clear that being closer to the middle is healthier for the batteries' life long term, but people need to set it high enough that the car has practical useful range for their life. So pick wherever is comfortable in there for you as a decent balance between those two issues, and no need to overthink it.

Reactions: michaelnorbert