Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is full self drive button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to upgrade to FSD before price goes up. I have searched forum and can't find anything about how you actually buy it. Called Tesla support they said go to app and it will be under accessories I have gone through every accessory in store can't find it. Manual says it's under Autopilot menu in car but I don't see it there either. Sorry if question has before but I can't find it anywhere. I have 2021 Model 3 live in Kansas. Could it be it isn't available in my state? I talked to other people in my state that have it but the only friend I have that has it lives in Missouri.

This is what I get when I hit upgrade button just accessories

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220829-090841.jpg
    Screenshot_20220829-090841.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 107
Check Upgrades -> Software Upgrades in the Tesla app. (I already have FSD, so I don't see it there, but it's my understanding that this is where it should be.)

That said, IMHO the FSD features aren't worth the $12,000 that Tesla is currently asking, much less the $15,000 that it'll cost in a few days. FSD-on-city-streets is more difficult than regular driving, because FSD is really flaky student driver functionality -- you have to watch traffic, plan what you want to do, etc., and then when (not if) the car does something other than what you plan, decide instantly whether what it's doing is reasonable or reckless, and intervene in the latter case. In my experience, this takes more mental effort than normal driving. It's also, IMHO, not yet safe. I use it only in light traffic, on simple roads, and when I'm feeling generous towards Tesla.

It may be better in the future, but even then, I'm skeptical that it'll be worth $15,000+, or even the $12,000 that it costs now. That sort of money will pay for a lot of Uber/Lyft/taxi rides. Tesla's been promising functionality better than it's providing now for years, and it's always "just around the corner." At this point, they need to deliver much better than they have before they can justify a price increase. My suspicion is that, by the time they do, other vehicles will have similar functionality at lower prices, and the price of FSD on Teslas will collapse. That's just my suspicion, though. I offer a full refund of the $0 you paid me for it if I'm wrong.

FWIW, I bought FSD in early 2019, when I bought my Tesla. At that time it was just $5,000. I have yet to get my $5,000 worth, although I have gotten some value from my FSD purchase, since at the time, that was the only way to get what's now sold as Enhanced Autopilot. Those features, although not worth the $6,000 that Tesla now wants for them, do have positive value, unlike FSD, which today has negative value -- Tesla should be paying people to beta-test this feature set, not the other way around.

Reactions: 2101Guy
This is what I get when I hit upgrade button just accessories
It could be the data store for your Tesla app is damaged. If you're using Android, try going to Settings -> Apps -> Tesla -> Storage & Cache. You can then clear the cache and/or storage. (I'm not positive, but I believe that clearing the storage will necessitate logging back in with Tesla in the app, so be prepared for that. It might also disrupt phone-as-key functionality.) Offhand, I don't know how you'd do this with iOS, or if it's even possible in iOS. If that doesn't help, you could try uninstalling and re-installing the app -- but again, this would likely necessitate setting it up again.

Check Upgrades -> Software Upgrades in the Tesla app. (I already have FSD, so I don't see it there, but it's my understanding that this is where it should be.)

That said, IMHO the FSD features aren't worth the $12,000 that Tesla is currently asking, much less the $15,000 that it'll cost in a few days. FSD-on-city-streets is more difficult than regular driving, because FSD is really flaky student driver functionality -- you have to watch traffic, plan what you want to do, etc., and then when (not if) the car does something other than what you plan, decide instantly whether what it's doing is reasonable or reckless, and intervene in the latter case. In my experience, this takes more mental effort than normal driving. It's also, IMHO, not yet safe. I use it only in light traffic, on simple roads, and when I'm feeling generous towards Tesla.

It may be better in the future, but even then, I'm skeptical that it'll be worth $15,000+, or even the $12,000 that it costs now. That sort of money will pay for a lot of Uber/Lyft/taxi rides. Tesla's been promising functionality better than it's providing now for years, and it's always "just around the corner." At this point, they need to deliver much better than they have before they can justify a price increase. My suspicion is that, by the time they do, other vehicles will have similar functionality at lower prices, and the price of FSD on Teslas will collapse. That's just my suspicion, though. I offer a full refund of the $0 you paid me for it if I'm wrong.

FWIW, I bought FSD in early 2019, when I bought my Tesla. At that time it was just $5,000. I have yet to get my $5,000 worth, although I have gotten some value from my FSD purchase, since at the time, that was the only way to get what's now sold as Enhanced Autopilot. Those features, although not worth the $6,000 that Tesla now wants for them, do have positive value, unlike FSD, which today has negative value -- Tesla should be paying people to beta-test this feature set, not the other way around.
Well I saw some reviews on 10.69 that looked real impressive do you have that version yet?

It’s a long way from being worth the price at the moment. That’s not to say you shouldn’t do it, but have realistic expectations on what you’re getting. I have it because I want to be part of the ride, but I can’t say it was a good use of the cash.

Reactions: Paulokc
Well I saw some reviews on 10.69 that looked real impressive do you have that version yet?
I'm currently on 2022.12.3.20 with FSD 10.12.2. Having seen extravagant claims from Tesla about improvements in everything from auto-wiper controls to FSD that turn out to be small incremental improvements (or even sometimes regressions), I won't believe any such claims of huge improvements unless and until I see them myself. Without links to the specific reviews you've seen, I can't judge them. There are YouTube reviewers who are trustworthy, but there are others who are Tesla boosters (or detractors). Also, any one reviewer can test in only very limited conditions. Road patterns, traffic, weather, etc., all vary greatly from one location to another, so testing and evaluation have to be done by many people in many places to get a good idea of how capable the system is. (In fairness to Tesla, this is what their FSD beta is doing. It's just that a few isolated YouTube reviews mean very little by this measure.)

It’s a long way from being worth the price at the moment. That’s not to say you shouldn’t do it, but have realistic expectations on what you’re getting. I have it because I want to be part of the ride, but I can’t say it was a good use of the cash.
Well I have faith Tesla will get it because if they don't they are going to have a huge legal problem to deal with.

I want to upgrade to FSD before price goes up. I have searched forum and can't find anything about how you actually buy it. Called Tesla support they said go to app and it will be under accessories I have gone through every accessory in store can't find it. Manual says it's under Autopilot menu in car but I don't see it there either. Sorry if question has before but I can't find it anywhere. I have 2021 Model 3 live in Kansas. Could it be it isn't available in my state? I talked to other people in my state that have it but the only friend I have that has it lives in Missouri.

Are you the primary driver of this vehicle, AND are the primary owner of this vehicle, or were you added to the vehicle as an "additional driver"? I am fairly sure that additional drivers of a tesla vehicle can not purchase upgrades.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Bingo! Thank you yes it comes up on my spouses phone not mine.

FWIW, The "10.69" version is the FSD beta, which you wont get from purchasing this. I also dont think personally that FSD has changed that much since mid april of this year, when you posted that you were glad you didnt buy it.

Disappointed a car claiming to be near autonomous can't see a pole. Glad I didn't spend the $12,000 for full self driving because I certainly wouldn't trust it now.

Whether its worth it or not, worth is in the eye of the purchaser, but I dont believe there is $12,000 - $15,000 worth of change since you made this statement in april of this year.

Reactions: Ciaopec and Dewg
FWIW, The "10.69" version is the FSD beta, which you wont get from purchasing this. I also dont think personally that FSD has changed that much since mid april of this year, when you posted that you were glad you didnt buy it.

Whether its worth it or not, worth is in the eye of the purchaser, but I dont believe there is $12,000 - $15,000 worth of change since you made this statement in april of this year.
Yes I was mad about that but I think they did improve that in an update since then. I am getting a stop warning backing up now that I wasn't before the update. Also we were very new drivers at the time the camera was wet maybe the sensors were impacted too. Of course that accident is going to drive up our insurance rates too. Which leads me to the next question does FSD lower insurance rates?

Also didn't an update since then change from using sensors to using cameras as well?

What would you recommend at this point. Subscription, expanded autopilot, FSD or do nothing? We do take a lot of long trips since we are retired. Constantly have to reset auto pilot is a pain everytime you change lanes. Park and summon would be nice because we live in a climate that has extreme heat as well as extreme cold. Safety is the primary concern. Is the FSD going to decrease the likelihood of another accident? I think the data Tesla is putting out is saying you are 9 times less likely to have an accident if you have FSD engaged.

Yes I was mad about that but I think they did improve that in an update since then. I am getting a stop warning backing up now that I wasn't before the update. Also we were very new drivers at the time the camera was wet maybe the sensors were impacted too. Of course that accident is going to drive up our insurance rates too. Which leads me to the next question does FSD lower insurance rates?

Also didn't an update since then change from using sensors to using cameras as well?

What would you recommend at this point. Subscription, expanded autopilot, FSD or do nothing? We do take a lot of long trips since we are retired. Constantly have to reset auto pilot is a pain everytime you change lanes. Park and summon would be nice because we live in a climate that has extreme heat as well as extreme cold. Safety is the primary concern. Is the FSD going to decrease the likelihood of another accident? I think the data Tesla is putting out is saying you are 9 times less likely to have an accident if you have FSD engaged.

I dont generally participate much in FSD discussions as they tend to be pretty contentious, and things like "worth" and "Value" for something is personal. You wont likely get the "FSD beta" version you were posting about from subscribing to FSD (or purchasing it either) without both time and jumping through a bunch of hoops.

The most prudent thing to do would be to subscribe for a month or two (which gives you regular FSD) and see if this is something you like, then make the decision based on your own interaction with it on the roads you drive, and the version thats on your car at that time (which will not be 10.69).

I personally am not very much into artificial pressure to purchase something (" Act NOW or XXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!"). I automatically distrust anything that is trying to induce fake "urgency" on me to take some action or other. You already made a decision not to purchase FSD when you bought the car. If you are changing that decision, you need to evaluate what exactly is prompting you to change that decision.

In general, I have found that throughout my life, anything that is attempting to apply fake urgency to me is almost never actually something I want. Maybe its different for you.

Note that I have FSD on my model 3, and am happy with what I spent on it when I bought it. I dont have it on my wifes 2022 model Y because the price for it is higher and I didnt feel it had value for what was being charged for it on her car.

You already decided you didnt want it. Decide why you are changing your mind and if its "the price is going up", at the price point of 12k-15k anyone who can afford one of those can afford the other, so "pricing pressure" shouldnt be a determination for that much spend (imo).