Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is my V5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my m3 on 6 March. Its been great, but I cant get hold of my V5. An issue because I need it for the grant for my Zappi charger. Has anyone else had issues with getting their V5 over lock down?

The car is owned by my employer, but the V5 has not turned up at my work. Tesla tell me they gave my employers address to register the car. During lock down there is no way to get hold of the DVLA if you are not HGV or Key worker. So i resorted to sending in £25 and an application form to get another copy. That was 3 weeks ago and still no sign. The phone lines are now theoretically open at the DVLA but every time I call it just says they are too busy, try again later.

Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has managed to contact the DVLA recently.

if you use one of their online services that is all automated right through to print and issue of the docs like buying a new car or change of keeper online then there should be no delay. If you send anything in an envelope that has to be opened and processed by a human then I'm afraid you are in for a very very long wait. From what I hear they have a huge backlog of post. Under normal circumstances if you need the V5 number for any reason there is literally no way to get it apart from wait for it to show up. Maybe under the current circumstances they are allowed to give it over the phone but I don't know.
Are you sure you need it for the grant? I only recall ever giving the reg number to my electrician. You really should never be giving you V5 number to anyone. Someone who has that can change your address, re-register the car in their name etc. its not something that is normally handed out so I am confused why it is needed for this.

edit
Annex D that I filled in for mine asked for registration number or VIN. No mention of V5

Last edited:
As an aside, you don't need the V5 if it's a company car. At least, I didn't. From the OLEV perspective, a letter from the company, on headed paper, signed by a Director was sufficient to confirm that the car was for my use, to be charged at home, etc.

There's even a template for the letter content. I'm surprised that this hasn't been put forward, if it is company car and nothing more complicated.

Luke

Thanks for the replies -really helpful!!

I will quiz the charger supplier if they really need V5. I will look up the letter template and get work to sign tomorrow.

Website says v5 issued on day of postage.

I had to send paper request for replacement so I guess it will be sometime!!

https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/873887/evhs-guidance-for-customers.pdf

Last page of the PDF;

upload_2020-7-6_21-23-7.png

Reactions: InventEd
I have the same issue. Picked up my m3 on 16th March. Car is company owned (my own company) but I am the registered keeper. The V5 has not turned up at my work or home address. I rang Tesla, they said all the info had been sent to DVLA as normal.
As the original poster says there is no way to get hold of the DVLA if you are not and HGV driver or Key worker. I sent a letter but have heard nothing. I did manage to get through via webchat but they were not able to access the system. I guess its just a waiting game.

I have the same issue. Picked up my m3 on 16th March. Car is company owned (my own company) but I am the registered keeper. The V5 has not turned up at my work or home address. I rang Tesla, they said all the info had been sent to DVLA as normal.
As the original poster says there is no way to get hold of the DVLA if you are not and HGV driver or Key worker. I sent a letter but have heard nothing. I did manage to get through via webchat but they were not able to access the system. I guess its just a waiting game.
COVID should not really be affecting first reg because its fully automated so if you have not had it by now its not coming. It must be lost in the post or something. The good news is you shouldn't need it for a year until you need to tax the car again.
There is always the risk that they did not do it properly and its not registered at all! Highly highly unlikely but just to be on the safe side I would check: https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?locale=en if you can find it on here with the regnumber it's all good but you are probably going to have to ask for a replacement V5 at some point.

I picked up my m3 on 6 March. Its been great, but I cant get hold of my V5. An issue because I need it for the grant for my Zappi charger. Has anyone else had issues with getting their V5 over lock down?

The car is owned by my employer, but the V5 has not turned up at my work. Tesla tell me they gave my employers address to register the car. During lock down there is no way to get hold of the DVLA if you are not HGV or Key worker. So i resorted to sending in £25 and an application form to get another copy. That was 3 weeks ago and still no sign. The phone lines are now theoretically open at the DVLA but every time I call it just says they are too busy, try again later.

Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has managed to contact the DVLA recently.
Did you get the v5?

Did you get the v5?

HI, did you get the V5?