Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the front radar on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16C7C872-A5A5-4F84-9A92-6EB3723C5AB3.jpeg
This was too high

Thank you for this post. Had same issue, installed plate wrap too high, had exact same issue with radar. Ordered new one to reinstall lower as I destroyed it on removal.

“This seems to confirm that generic plate stickers are not legal as license plate wrap had to jump through a lot of hoops to sell their product.”

Not sure of this logic and conclusion.

In CA, there is a pilot program and it is allowed. I received approval letter also from CA DMV. License Plate Wrap site has the relevant legislation...trust, but do your own verification.

The logic is licenseplatewrap had to get approval from the DMV to sell them. If the DMV has to sanction vendors, generic plate stickers aren't a legal "plate".

On January 22, 2015 the LPW was tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento and it passed. The pilot program started June 1, 2015 with 28 fleet vehicles. Recently the DMV gave us approval to sell our product to the public and have them participate in the pilot program.

The logic is licenseplatewrap had to get approval from the DMV to sell them. If the DMV has to sanction vendors, generic plate stickers aren't a legal "plate".

It’s quite legal as they obtain DMV approval (in CA), to apply a license plate wrap.

So, which part of above do you deem “not legal” and how did you conclude that requiring approval makes them illegal? Serious question.

I suppose you’re trying to say, absent authorization from DMV, you can’t just apply a license wrap? If so, that’s correct.

If you add on to your house, you normally need a permit to make it valid/legal. You take your chances if you don’t get authorization. (analogy)

With regards to the radar location, there’s s*** weather today in Chicagoland with mixed rain/snow. I had a layer of snow stick to the front of my license plate and also pile up on the bumper *directly above* the license plate bracket, but no snow stuck to the bumper anywhere else (i.e., there was no snow to the sides of the license plate bracket). This caused the car to lose front radar and disable AP/TACC.

So this is one more data point that suggests that the radar is located just above the license plate bracket location — *despite* the graphic in the manual showing it located further toward the right side of the vehicle.

Reactions: rrosenbl
This whole conversation was extremely helpful to me. I installed my license plate wrap last Saturday and also had the same radar issues. After reading through this forum, I realized that my wrap was much too high. I’ve since lowered it and autopilot works again.

Thanks!

With regards to the radar location, there’s s*** weather today in Chicagoland with mixed rain/snow. I had a layer of snow stick to the front of my license plate and also pile up on the bumper *directly above* the license plate bracket, but no snow stuck to the bumper anywhere else (i.e., there was no snow to the sides of the license plate bracket). This caused the car to lose front radar and disable AP/TACC.

So this is one more data point that suggests that the radar is located just above the license plate bracket location — *despite* the graphic in the manual showing it located further toward the right side of the vehicle.

I got another observed data point today while driving in some wet snow that accumulated on my bumper.

After losing AP/TACC to reduced radar visibility, I cleared the snow off of the section of bumper directly above the license plate. But that didn’t fix the problem.

So I went back again and cleared off a section to the right of the license plate (or, if you’re looking at it from in front of the car, to the left), and the did the trick.

So I wonder if the radar isn’t located just above the corner of the license plate holder, and that’s why it requires the bumper to be clear both directly above and to the side of the license plate holder. That could also be consistent with the diagram in the manual.

123E28A7-8DC8-4AFD-A495-4D8701561049.jpeg
A13999B1-7273-4184-AA41-E65B4A65520F.jpeg
AE076882-5282-4DA4-AADF-8D241034B7F0.jpeg

That's awesome. Thanks! :D

That'll help narrow down the area that needs to be cleaned off of snow/slush when TACC is lost due to radar blockage.

I'm not sure its snow/slush that is the problem.

Something happened since last year because I NEVER had this problem in the snow or ANYTHING. NOW....the disabled message is coming up weekly. Its coming up for reasons of snow and rain and sunny days.

Its quite depressing with autopilot engaged and then blowing up and turning off by itself on the expressway.
I have an appointment for next Friday ( I can't believe the quickest time is a week from now ). to get this looked at.

I just received my license plate wrap in the mail today. The install instructions do mention the Tesla sensors. A google search led me here. I'm a little bumbed out. When I took my car in for PPF the installer pointed out a paint blob on the bumper. I already had found the license plate wrap site so I thought I was going to be able to cover it. Can't do it now, it's way to high. ☹️

The radar is positioned as specified in the manual, but it scans a wide field of view in front of the car. To do this, it needs a clear view forward through a wider part of the bumper than the radar transceiver itself occupies, which is why covering the area closer to the middle of the bumper (e.g. the half of the plate that extends toward the passenger side) can interfere with its view.