Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to physically disable Front Radar in my 2022 Model S for Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a mobile service request to fix a squeak in the driver’s side window. They added the line item to the invoice to disconnects the radar too, which is what led me to find this thread. I was not excited with the idea of the tech taking the front of my car off in the parking lot!

When he showed up 2 weeks later, I asked about the radar job and he said “that‘s not on my list” and showed me his work order where it only said window and tire check. He did fix the window perfectly but Tesla might be changing their tune on this work? It may be creating more service complaints, or getting expensive? Anyway, I still have my useless radar connected.

The same thing happened to me about another non related service request (seat sensor). I immediately wrote back saying no, I did NOT want that. So they removed it from my appointment, but said software will be shutting the sensors down soon anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 500
I had this work done today. The tech confirmed my car hadn't used the sensor once in over 3 months. It turns out it was disabled by software in some update a while ago, and it's just draining the battery without being useful.

I had this work done today. The tech confirmed my car hadn't used the sensor once in over 3 months. It turns out it was disabled by software in some update a while ago, and it's just draining the battery without being useful.
This sounds plausible. No reason to keep a radar of it’s not used. I figured they would do this at some point. Seems like a lot of work though to save a few watts.

Curious why they didn't just pull the fuse? Looks to be dedicated F130 on the '16 through '20 MS/MX.
Yes, that would make sense for those cars. For later cars with all computer "fuse" protection, they should be able to deactivate in software. It's hard for me to understand the logic of recalling cars to physically disconnect the radar just to save a little juice, especially if that involves disassembly and reassembly. That seems to be in no ones interest outside of dedicated hypermilers. But I guess it made sense to someone in Tesla at some point- we'll see how it develops.