Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When comparing weel base distance, you have to considered that the prototypes had a longer weelbase than Model S? (Spesial build underboddy?)
I remember it was told by Elon or Tesla, some years ago, that this would change and the production would use the same underboddy as the Model S.

I took this from the TM forum discussion about the size of the camo vehicle: (Credit to Omar who helped us with the 'thank you' banner) Hope this is not trademarked Omar! In the discussion he used the wheels in the camo photo to give some perspective on the length of the vehicle. He assumed that the wheels could have been 19" or 21" and hypothesized that the 'platform' length on the camo vehicle was shorter than the model S. Assuming that the 'skateboards' are the same S=X then it calls into question whether it was an X or another smaller prototype. All speculation.

One of the things we know is the MX shares a platform and hence the wheel base with the MS, which is 116.5"
Old-proto-wb-L.jpg
In this MX pic from Tesla, the wheelbase is a little over 5 wheel diameters. If you do the math, 5.1 * 22.5" = 114.75". I will chalk the remaining 1.75" to the imprecision of the method. The wheelbase on the spy pic is only 4 wheel diameters, there is no way that is 116" because, as I noted above, you are looking are looking at a 29" wheel diameter.
Could it be the MX? With Tesla, anything is possible, but shrinking the fundamental dimensions of the platform by 20% is pretty radical

Last edited:
In this MX pic from Tesla, the wheelbase is a little over 5 wheel diameters.

So is this pic

Model X Proportions.jpg

Again: Credit to Omar.....From TM forum......

tesla-2-L.jpg
If we assume those are Tesla 21s (22.5" dia), then the wheel base is 90", if we assume those are Tesla 19s (20.75" dia), then the WB is 83", which seems very short.
To do the math backwards, if we assume the WB is 116.5" then the wheel diameter is 29" which does not sound reasonable.

Now I agree that the picture may not be 'straight on' since if the track it straight there is a smaller distance (visually) between the front tire and the edge of the track versus the rear tire from the edge of the track. This may distort our perception of the length. But all is fun speculation

Last edited:
Oops, I see my mistake :redface: (Really I just wanted to see what a 10 wheel X might look like :wink: )
However, I think if you use the wheels in my pic it's closer to 4.5 wheel diameters, so different perspectives in the video can change the results.

Model X Proportions2.jpg

Last edited:
Also available in White:

Please forgive my bad Photoshop skills. I really just wanted to see what it looks like if you remove the camouflage from the rear Window line. That now looks like an X to me, and less stubby. (I didn't modify the back at all, just completed the Window line).

White.png

Just a thought, but perhaps the aspect ratio of the video is off compared to the photos? The overall shape of both vehicles is the same, but the one in the video appears to be shorter. I'm still virtually certain that it's the Model X in the video.

and my contribution to the speculation. Video comparison of some of the previous X photos with the test mule. Not exact, but pretty close angles.

That last bit gave me a seizure :scared: :biggrin: I think the different camera perspectives are throwing off the comparison in your overlay.

- - - Updated - - -

Also available in White:

Please forgive my bad Photoshop skills. I really just wanted to see what it looks like if you remove the camouflage from the rear Window line. That now looks like an X to me, and less stubby. (I didn't modify the back at all, just completed the Window line).

X!!

White X.jpg

Tesla can change the wheelbase for the X if they want. They said the production X looks different than the prototype. They have removed all mention of specific battery options on the webpage. The X won't be using the same battery packs as the S so very likely the X can have a different wheelbase than the S if that's what Tesla wants. Tesla writes the rules.

Elon has made it clear that the X is NOT a tall S. The X is targeted at a different demographic. The S is a beast size-wise. My wife would not want to drive an X as it was shown in prototype form. But she loves her RAV4 EV. All evidence points to Tesla shortening the wheelbase and the overall length to improve drivability and functionality.

Tesla can change the wheelbase for the X if they want. They said the production X looks different than the prototype. They have removed all mention of specific battery options on the webpage. The X won't be using the same battery packs as the S so very likely the X can have a different wheelbase than the S if that's what Tesla wants. Tesla writes the rules.

Elon has made it clear that the X is NOT a tall S. The X is targeted at a different demographic. The S is a beast size-wise. My wife would not want to drive an X as it was shown in prototype form. But she loves her RAV4 EV. All evidence points to Tesla shortening the wheelbase and the overall length to improve drivability and functionality.

That doesn't make any sense from a production or marketing standpoint. Using the same bottom frame structure would save a lot of manufacturing costs, and most people spending $90K+ on an SUV want a larger vehicle.

Subaru Impreza sedan is 180 inches in length. The Impreza hatchback is 174 inches long.

Honda Civic sedan has wheelbase of 105 inches. Honda CR-V (same platform as Civic) has wheelbase of 103 inches.

The general assumption among many, including myself, has been that Model X would be at least as long as the Model S. However, hatch/SUV versions of sedans built by other companies can have smaller dimensions than the sedans themselves. There's no reason Tesla couldn't have done the same, for reasons unknown. The only issue I see with shortening the X is less 3rd row legroom. The sloping rear hatch is going to restrict headroom too.

Camouflage such as those patterns does make it hard to see the size of vehicles too, because it allows less depth perception. The vehicle is most likely just seen from a slight angle.

The video supports the theory that they decided to shorten the wheelbase. Hard to refute that.

The top quote can be used to refute that, plus the distortion of an iPhone at maximum digital zoom. Add to that the fact that a shorter wheelbase would eliminate 3rd row seating.

- - - Updated - - -

Subaru Impreza sedan is 180 inches in length. The Impreza hatchback is 174 inches long.

Honda Civic sedan has wheelbase of 105 inches. Honda CR-V (same platform as Civic) has wheelbase of 103 inches.

The general assumption among many, including myself, has been that Model X would be at least as long as the Model S. However, hatch/SUV versions of sedans built by other companies can have smaller dimensions than the sedans themselves. There's no reason Tesla couldn't have done the same, for reasons unknown.

Sure they could, but they are dealing with much lower volumes, so keeping the same base platform has a greater benefit for Tesla.

The only issue I see with shortening the X is less 3rd row legroom. The sloping rear hatch is going to restrict headroom too.

I'd say a shorter wheelbase pretty much kills the idea of a 3rd row. There were already FUD articles about how little room the prototype had for the 3rd row.