Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on all the attention this is getting... the TMC forum will most certainly crash when the X is indeed revealed!

In all seriousness, it's good to finally see SOMETHING. I can't imagine it being anything other than an X during this timeframe. We're getting closer...

I'm just going to say this is exactly what happened with the D event after the tweets... People were spot on in the first few minutes and then not to be undone everyone else felt like they had to include even crazier ideas that many didn't even make a lick of sense...I know you want to all be the first to make some great unknown discovery here but over analyzing this isn't going to change what this is...

New Model X image with a bit more camouflage.

Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 10.05.53 PM.png

I can't talk about it too much. But let's just say that looks like a dead ringer for another electric SUV from a different manufacturer. I'll never forget that ugly rear.

Well, if you too went to a certain auto feedback session in long beach recently, I'm pretty sure this isn't that vehicle either. The front doesn't look like that vehicle.

Wow, nice effort! You might get another distance measure by counting the number of fence sections behind the car, since that is closer and easier to account for perspective. You'll have to figure out the size of the sections, but probably the same as the ones in the foreground...

The fence posts are 8ft apart for the single sections.

Great suggestion about the fence. Looking at the run at the end of the APL ship, the vehicle goes ~15 fence posts in ~1s (between 12s and 13s on the video). If the posts are 8 feet apart as Nigel suggests, then this would be an average speed of ~120 feet/s or ~82 mph. If the posts are 10 feet apart, then the average speed is ~150 feet/s or ~102 mph! Either way, the vehicle is going fast!!!

Great suggestion about the fence. Looking at the run at the end of the APL ship, the vehicle goes ~15 fence posts in ~1s (between 12s and 13s on the video). If the posts are 8 feet apart as Nigel suggests, then this would be an average speed of ~120 feet/s or ~82 mph. If the posts are 10 feet apart, then the average speed is ~150 feet/s or ~102 mph! Either way, the vehicle is going fast!!!

There are markers in back/fore ground that you can get the distances as well as using ruler from Google map (person was definitely in skate park):
I used the bushes/trees and the fence (around drain?) as well as marks on pavement. Estimating a bunch of stuff I'm guessing average of 47mph for run.
My calcs are showing ~100mph at 17 second mark but I'm not that confident in them. (time is video's timestamp)
AccEst.png

I am still going with the short wheelbase version of the skateboard conspiracy theory. Pause the video when the vehicle's direction gets perpendicular to the camera (around 10 sec). Now compare that to a static side pic of a model s and model x. The wheelbase proportions don't look the same IMO - though similar to X but still shorter (I think). As others have said - Model X will be way past any stage like this in development. This looks like pure R&D to me. Manufacturers do this all the time. Hack an old body onto the new chassis. Time will tell.

Oh - and it's performing like a FWD car too:scared:.

Last edited:
Folks, I've found the secret message in the youtube clip: When the car drives away out of sight of the camera at 1:11-1:12 of the clip, the secret message is in front of us. It says: "T" "M" "X" = "Tesla Model X" ! Check this out:

tesla_m_x.jpg