Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with this being a decoy. The entire rake of the front end alone is much different than the much more bulbous prototype, consistent with the rumor that the final version would have more aggressive front styling. Plus, I think that the visual trailer hitch is another intentional clue that this is a beta. It probably looks cut out because it is likely has a cover that hides it when not in use (more streamlined, possibly more aerodynamic that way?), but Tesla wanted us to know it was there, since that is a much-advertised feature of the car. Lastly, the lip that wraps from the rear taillights to form the ducktail is much more pronounced. I agree that this is a very intentional reveal. Much too much coincidence that it is "spied" on the night of the earnings call as well.

Could this be a different prototype and not a beta, sure, but I don't get the point in testing one (other than to throw us off of the scent after the other spotting a few weeks ago) when Elon said tonight that the design of the beta is finished. I heard that as there are betas. While not as radical as I have imagined (although there is still much to be seen), it would make sense to use a lot of Model S design language in this vehicle, which is what I see here.

(EDIT: and I tweeted Elon the pics, as if he doesn't already know about them)

I disagree with this being a decoy. The entire rake of the front end alone is much different than the much more bulbous prototype, consistent with the rumor that the final version would have more aggressive front styling. Plus, I think that the visual trailer hitch is another intentional clue that this is a beta. It probably looks cut out because it is likely has a cover that hides it when not in use, but Tesla wanted us to know it was there, since that is a much-advertised feature of the car. Lastly, the lip that wraps from the rear taillights to form the ducktail is much more pronounced. I agree that this is a very intentional reveal. Much too much coincidence that it is "spied" on the night of the earnings call as well.

Not disagreeing, but if this is not intentional, it will be taken down pretty quickly imo.

over all not bad looking.

this view however...
b94fa66e7cde8ccd558c01cc7bb3797b.jpg

interested to see how the interior shapes up.

I'm going to be a naysayer... because I don't think anyone has said it yet?

The white prototype was pulled from public display after CES because Elon felt it didn't represent the major changes made to the X.

I'm looking at these new pictures and... I think in a game of "spot the differences" between the white prototype and this camo black one, I'd come up with a woefully short list.

What changes?? I think perhaps a decoy... or at least a Beta purposely disguised to LOOK like the earlier prototypes?

assuming this is near final design....yea i agree.

kinda disappointing. so much for the final version being 'significantly different' from those old prototypes....it looks like a plumpier version of the x6. or, a prius v and S model had sex and popped a rotund baby.

nevertheless, i do expect perf to be superior to almost all ICE SUV's. German PHEV's....not so sure.