Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People, Tesla has better things to do than build and drive around in decoy cars just to throw us off. I love this place but... we are not that important.

Hahaha, you nailed it. I was thinking earlier, 'Really? Tesla engineering is working crazy overtime hours right now & people think they have time to build a decoy to throw people off and then go drive it around?'

In a parallel universe, maybe.

Not 100% clear after adjustments but from what's visible, I don't see a nosecone:

nonosecone.png

I'm going to be a naysayer... because I don't think anyone has said it yet?

The white prototype was pulled from public display after CES because Elon felt it didn't represent the major changes made to the X.

I'm looking at these new pictures and... I think in a game of "spot the differences" between the white prototype and this camo black one, I'd come up with a woefully short list.

What changes?? I think perhaps a decoy... or at least a Beta purposely disguised to LOOK like the earlier prototypes?

Why would Tesla produce a decoy X at a huge cost? Camo the thing sure but make a total decoy? No value added in any way shape or form.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone else notice the trunk/boot has split opening. Could be wrong, wild speculation.

Now that you point it out... yes. That does present a very sharp edge/point though right where your arrow point is. The only way that would be possible is in a split opening.

It seems that the DRL are on the top of the light, just like the Model S, and not like the Model X concept.
I can't tell where you see the DRL. They have the entire surround of the headlight blacked out so only the beams get through, and it does appear there's more blacked out under the beams than over, which would be consistent with the original design. What I can tell is it appears the fog lights have taken on an appearance more like the Model S than the concept, which would be similar to the change the Model S went through from concept to production.

Anyone else notice the trunk/boot has split opening. Could be wrong, wild speculation.
That looks like they blacked out the chrome strip and nothing more. With the way the bottom corners of the tailgate are rounded, it wouldn't make sense for it to fold down. I'm sure it's still one piece like the concept and Model S.

Overall I'm happy with the way the design is shaping up. It seems more along the lines of the changes Model S went through from initial design to production, and nothing too radical. Most of the changes appear to have taken place up front but are well hidden, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it looks. Plus, the interior has likely seen major improvements and that's still a huge mystery.

Loads of SUVs and CUVs have split tailgates...
Rangerover
TailgatesOpen.jpg

Of course it could be a drawer, which by the shape of it is a possibility...

mini-rocketman3.jpg

But most likely just drops down.. Peugeot...

Attachments

• Peugeot_3008_Split_Tailgate.jpg
    Peugeot_3008_Split_Tailgate.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,539
  • Peugeot_308_new_2014_08.jpg
    Peugeot_308_new_2014_08.jpg
    882.6 KB · Views: 3,005
I have done some image analysis on the leaked pictures, and it is clear to me that this is a controlled leak from Tesla Motors.

The pictures are taken in full daylight from just a couple of meters of distance, a clear and perfect day for photography, but yet the photographer was “unlucky” enough to get the entire picture heavily underexposed.

The backside and the sides of the car seem to be quite similar to the earlier prototype, but clearly the front has changed a lot. Therefore it is really “sad” for the poor photographer that just the front section of the car got so underexposed that all image information is gone and cannot be retrieved again.
In addition, the images are heavily compressed and the compression artifacts in the front section of the car happen to be not only in another color tone, but also another size than the compression artifacts in rest of the picture.

View attachment 72045

View attachment 72047

View attachment 72046