Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is this rattle coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang!
I can’t believe all this time maybe it was something as simple as my air vent. In the past when I suspected it could be the culprit I just touched them and held my finger in it for a few minutes to see if it silenced the noise. And it didn’t so I simply dismissed it as the cause.
But this time i went further and like you said moved it around a bit and it stopped( I think)
It will take a bit more driving to see if it’s actually permanent. The thing is I don’t think what I’m hearing is a “loose rattle”
I’m starti to think it’s the “tightness” of the plastic louvre popping and sort of squeaking between themselves. It’s very tight fit and I think it’s the plastic sliding against itself and making popping noises.
It makes sense because it’s not always bumps in the road that make the noise. It can be just driving over smooth roads with curves and gradients (think driveways etc)
I may try some tiny squirt of lubricant into the louvre pieces if I can find some that don’t have an odor.

I’m going to revive this thread again. We have a noise that seems to be coming from the dash area. Seems to be centrally located as I hear it at right when I drive and at left when I’m the passenger. I’ve had the car looked at 2 times now for this, in fact I’m just getting home from my most recent attempt to clear this up for my wife (this is her car).

I suppose I need to start at the beginning.
My wife’s S had the orange colored halo on the original screen. It worked just fine, no rattle/vibration noise but we replaced that one for the halo, not knowing if that could lead to issues later. A ranger was at our house for quite some time (he was a trooper, though it looked like a multi person job to me) and swapped out the whole center screen. Looks to be part 35 on the catalog (dash panel area). That was September of 2018. After that repair, the vibration noise started and we had a loose piece floating back and forth during turns. Not only that but a section of the new screen, in particular the fan icon, were inactive. My wife was using her phone to work the AC/heat. It took us until January 2019 (life in the way) to get up to a service center, which is a 2.5 hour drive for us but I didn’t want mobile tech to have to work on it in my unheated garage in the -30 winter weather we were experiencing. Plus I was iffy on mobile due to the previous time.

Repair day was, to be honest... a hot mess ...we were told to come early (9:30) but they must have been super busy as they didn’t even get our car in service mode until after 3pm. They text me saying it was done around 5:30 and it seemed almost all of them left for the day. We didn’t even get to see our car and they wanted us to sign paperwork saying the repairs were done. They said they replaced the screen again but that they couldn’t find anything loose. They also didn’t plug our car in so we had 30% charge, our long drive ahead and a winter storm blasting the area. (Which I believe they wanted to get home too, explaining the hasty exit...can’t blame them I suppose). The screen was working alright but my wife feels the original worked better...(thanks to the service catalog and my invoice, I found they didn’t replace the whole screen/assembly again, just 1084333 which seems to be the touchscreen portion). Well...and the vibration was still there and the clearly loose ..whatever it was, was not found. Still going back and forth on turns.

We also had our drivers side window frost over completely on the drive up (which does feed into this story, I promise) and they found the small triangle portion to be defective.

Fast forward to now... I drove her car the other week and thought “wow, I haven’t called to get this taken care of...wait, they were supposed to call me!” They forgot to order the small window and therefore never made an appointment with me. So, I again make an appointment and had to drive up last Friday with the car and dropped it off. I road with the service tech and was surprised that at first he acted like he couldn’t hear the noise. I asked him to take some sharper turns, so he went in a parking lot and finally admitted to hearing the loose piece...but wrote the vibration noise off as “acceptable.’ I asked them to please look into it as long as they have to get in there for the loose item anyway. He said he would.

Monday (yesterday) they said it was done so I took some leave today to go get it. The invoice states they located the loose part (“secured loose clip behind dash”) and performed a courtesy inspection (tire treads etc.)... however the service guy made sure to tell me they found the cause of the vibration noise and took care of it. Great!
I got out of there and on the road and thought it was still there, but was only on city streets briefly. The problem with this noise is that on highways you can’t really here it over the road/tire noise. But on city streets, it’s very clear. Small bumps make it rattle and it sounds like it echos itself. Any bumps in the road or rough roads amplify it, almost like something connected to a spring...if that makes sense, the vibration noise is a bit “bouncy.” I’ve lightly pounded on various areas of the dash, steering wheel, ac vents but am having no luck. I believe it to be internal.

I’ve text the same Tesla service center saying that the problem still persists... I’ll see what they say (they’re going to arrange mobile for the window so maybe I can ask that tech to check it out). They’re closed for today though.

I’m kind of at my wits end here. My wife has now said she wishes she’d kept the original orange halo screen...and, worse, that she won’t buy another Tesla. That really sucks to hear that from her, she’s not the type to say things dramatically. Not sure what to do...