Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where should I get a new tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I seem to be jinxed with the left rear tire. In less than 10 months since I replaced it for running over a carpet knife, I now have a big bolt stuck in the tread. According to the app, the SC cannot replace the tire until Aug 3rd. So I am thinking about going to a 3rd party tire shop. But each shop does not seem to have the exact tire I have on the car. The tire is a Continental Cross Contact LX Sport 275/45R20 110V M+S. Any suggestion on who has these tires beside Tesla?

I seem to be jinxed with the left rear tire. In less than 10 months since I replaced it for running over a carpet knife, I now have a big bolt stuck in the tread. According to the app, the SC cannot replace the tire until Aug 3rd. So I am thinking about going to a 3rd party tire shop. But each shop does not seem to have the exact tire I have on the car. The tire is a Continental Cross Contact LX Sport 275/45R20 110V M+S. Any suggestion on who has these tires beside Tesla?

You are not jinxed. Continental tires are garbage. Buy some Pirelli All Season Verde for your X. Great tire. Smooth Ride and they last for ever. Warranty to 65K miles. Get them for $238 at Discount Tires.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/pirelli-scorpion-verde-a-s-plus#

Are you requesting "Service" in the app, or "Roadside Assistance?" You should use the latter since that is what you need. You should get a near immediate text or call back, and a replacement within a few hours. You will have to visit the service center in the next few weeks to get your original wheel back, but that can be at your leisure. I've had to do that once for both of my cars, even though the car was in my driveway.

Reactions: jboy210
A guy from the Tesla Service Center sent me an email and suggested I call Roadside Assistance instead of waiting for my appointment.(same as @DCGOO suggested). I used the app and within 30 minutes they texted me I was on this morning schedule.

Service rolled up around 11:00 and was done is 30 minutes are so. Turns out there was a screw in the tire. It was right at the edge where they could patch the tire. Any further to the center and it would have been new tire time. So he took it off the tire and patched it. When he was done he remounted the tire on the wheel so that the hole he patched was aligned with the filler stem. He told me this would let me check this area in a few days (water on tread) and ensure that patch was holding. He re-balanced the tire to account for the charge of position. He even checked and adjusted the pressure in all the other tires to match with the newly repaired tire so they should all read the same in the TPS display. Amazing service.

All and all we were very happy with the service. Cost was $60 or so. After seeing his work I think I should have tipped him more than the $10 I had in my pocket.

Tesla Mobile Service keeps winning me over to Tesla.

Reactions: Vaillant
A guy from the Tesla Service Center sent me an email and suggested I call Roadside Assistance instead of waiting for my appointment.(same as @DCGOO suggested). I used the app and within 30 minutes they texted me I was on this morning schedule.

Service rolled up around 11:00 and was done is 30 minutes are so. Turns out there was a screw in the tire. It was right at the edge where they could patch the tire. Any further to the center and it would have been new tire time. So he took it off the tire and patched it. When he was done he remounted the tire on the wheel so that the hole he patched was aligned with the filler stem. He told me this would let me check this area in a few days (water on tread) and ensure that patch was holding. He re-balanced the tire to account for the charge of position. He even checked and adjusted the pressure in all the other tires to match with the newly repaired tire so they should all read the same in the TPS display. Amazing service.

All and all we were very happy with the service. Cost was $60 or so. After seeing his work I think I should have tipped him more than the $10 I had in my pocket.

Tesla Mobile Service keeps winning me over to Tesla.

Wow thats awesome!