Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

where should I test drive Tesla this Xmas break in Ontario?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Tesla sale is willing to let my wife and I borrow model X for 2 nights from Xmas eve and return the day after Xmas since I am in the market for a bigger Tesla. I already own a model 3 and now my wife wants to swap her ICE SUV for a bigger Tesla car for herself. Since there is not many places open or people want to meet up with us during Xmas break, we plan to just drive around Ontario. Where should I test drive Tesla this Xmas break in Ontario? Which route would you recommend? I am thinking of driving to Niagra fall would be one good option to see xmas light since I have never been to Niagra fall during winter.

I did not ask about mileage limit. Why would they limit the mileage for test drive? My question is what happens if i charge it at super charger? Who will be paying for charging cost?

Seems like a lot of Tesla model x will be on road for Xmas:):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Funny enough, I am also taking an X for an overnight test drive on xmas eve. I’m also wondering where I should drive it.

Christmas lights tour in the evening? During the day - maybe keep it local and visit something down by the Lakeshore or out in a park? I'd be curious to know how the headlights and outward visibility at night compares to other Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
About the same distance: Forks of the Credit, Hockley Valley, Mono, and Mulmer via Airport Rd or N/S Lines....if not icy. Stops in Belfountain, Mono Cliffs Provincial Park (if you want a nice hike), Adamo Vineyard, Windrush Vineyard, The Hockley Valley General Store, and a meal at the Mono Cliffs Inn, or Hockley Valley resort (which has snow globe dining).

Yes, I'm promoting local (for me):)

Plus, you are always welcome to drop in and see some horses at my farm, and get a few KW while you are here. PM me if/when you'd like to come ( Covid-19 protocols, normally you could just drop in any time).

Last edited:
Yeah that was my worry. I’m hoping it doesn’t snow otherwise I won’t be venturing far. The cars will have all season or even performance tires depending on the trim levels which will perform poorly in these temps.
They are calling for rain up here on the 24th, followed by snow in the evening, then a flash freeze on the 25th. The 26th will be cold but mainly clear. It should be okay if you stick to the main roads on the 26th.

but I thought model X AWD system is pretty good that managing driving in heavy snow?
Yeah but even the best AWD systems can’t compensate for the lack of proper tires. Performance tires turn into hockey pucks in cold temps and all season tires really aren’t any good in subzero and snowy weather. Stopping distance is the biggest drawback of not using winter tires.

Yeah but even the best AWD systems can’t compensate for the lack of proper tires. Performance tires turn into hockey pucks in cold temps and all season tires really aren’t any good in subzero and snowy weather. Stopping distance is the biggest drawback of not using winter tires.
Agreed. You would be crazy to drive performance tires in winter in sub zero temperatures.

Just got a email from tesla Oakville that they sold out their last model x demo car. Guess no model x test drive until next year..they did offer me model y and I still debating.
I actually cancelled my test drive last night due to some changes in my wife’s work schedule that won’t permit us to pick it up on time and enjoy it as much. I’ll reschedule in the new year.

If you want to see if you can take my spot, PM me and I’ll give you the details of where I was getting it.

Just got a email from tesla Oakville that they sold out their last model x demo car. Guess no model x test drive until next year..they did offer me model y and I still debating.
I guess I got "lucky". I had it overnight on Dec. 22nd. I have to say I was a tad underwhelmed with the X.

What I loved about the X:
  • The auto opening/closing of the drivers side door and the auto closing of the front passenger door.
  • The massive expanse of glass for the front passengers is simply out of this world
  • Tons of room of course for very tall folks and cargo.
  • And as expected with any Tesla, more power than you need
What I didn't like so much
  • The dash and headliner felt like a step down from my 2016 Model S - it does not have the suede/alcantara material.
  • I prefer the leather interior of my S. For a vehicle that starts at over $100K, leather should be an option. I get it, Tesla want's to be "sustainable" (which is debatable), however
  • I was shocked at how noisy the SUV is. Both wind noise and road noise. It felt as if there was no sound insulation. I can't believe I'm actually saying this.. my son's 2007 Lexus IS250 AWD is actually quieter on the highway. I asked the rep if it was just me and he said no, that's how an X is. My S feels like a massive step up in refinement in this regard.
  • The X just feels too heavy and ponderous to me - my S which is no featherweight at almost 5000 lbs positively feels so nimble and light.

I guess I got "lucky". I had it overnight on Dec. 22nd. I have to say I was a tad underwhelmed with the X.

What I loved about the X:
  • The auto opening/closing of the drivers side door and the auto closing of the front passenger door.
  • The massive expanse of glass for the front passengers is simply out of this world
  • Tons of room of course for very tall folks and cargo.
  • And as expected with any Tesla, more power than you need
What I didn't like so much
  • The dash and headliner felt like a step down from my 2016 Model S - it does not have the suede/alcantara material.
  • I prefer the leather interior of my S. For a vehicle that starts at over $100K, leather should be an option. I get it, Tesla want's to be "sustainable" (which is debatable), however
  • I was shocked at how noisy the SUV is. Both wind noise and road noise. It felt as if there was no sound insulation. I can't believe I'm actually saying this.. my son's 2007 Lexus IS250 AWD is actually quieter on the highway. I asked the rep if it was just me and he said no, that's how an X is. My S feels like a massive step up in refinement in this regard.
  • The X just feels too heavy and ponderous to me - my S which is no featherweight at almost 5000 lbs positively feels so nimble and light.
Regarding the noise, any Lexus would be quieter. They’ve allegedly improved this on the 2021 Model X’s. It’s supposed to be a drastic difference but I’d have to hear it for myself before believing it. Tesla’s have pretty bad noise insulation all around.