Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get a Gen 3 Wall Charger with 18' cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I may have a few weeks to get one installed, is there a source for the longer cable version or am I stuck with the 8.5' version? The early deliver of these vehicles caught me off guard and I'm sure a bunch of others.

i bought a long version last week and it was delivered yesterday. i have read on here that they go in and out of stock regularly and quickly so i must have lucked out. but certainly all the emails that went out caused a rush. i didn't get my email yet, so i'm going to be ready to charge without a car. but that's fine.

Reactions: Mufasa and kayak1
i bought a long version last week and it was delivered yesterday. i have read on here that they go in and out of stock regularly and quickly so i must have lucked out. but certainly all the emails that went out caused a rush. i didn't get my email yet, so i'm going to be ready to charge without a car. but that's fine.
You wanna sell me yours? :D jk!

Annoyingly, they don't let you order the 18' wall charger and get a place in line. They are supposed to send me an email when they come in. I guess I'll carry my phone with me everywhere! ;)
yeah that seems sort of silly. i ordered just before everybody started getting their emails and such. and even then, i had been checking daily for a week. but now it's almost a panic, and there is some speculation that some folks are getting deliveries sooner than expected because folks are not prepared 10 months early and are passing on their reservation. don't know how much of that is true. i'm lucky, i have a mercedes leased until june but at current interest rates, it won't make much difference if i pay for the Y in a couple of weeks or a few months :eek::D

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
If I have to, until I get the 18' charger, I'll unplug the dryer! I just got the adapter for my 34 y.o. 240V socket. :)
i would have done fine with that, i put about 100 miles on in an average week. but we also had a 50 amp circuit on the side of our garage not being used since we got rid of our hot tub, so figured why not.

yeah that seems sort of silly. i ordered just before everybody started getting their emails and such. and even then, i had been checking daily for a week. but now it's almost a panic, and there is some speculation that some folks are getting deliveries sooner than expected because folks are not prepared 10 months early and are passing on their reservation. don't know how much of that is true. i'm lucky, i have a mercedes leased until june but at current interest rates, it won't make much difference if i pay for the Y in a couple of weeks or a few months :eek::D
You'd think someone in their supply chain would be proactive in having a good pipeline of the wall charger in anticipation of the Y release. Or, the sales and manufacturing team didn't work closely with the procurement team. Or there's a supply chain issue in getting enough of the chargers. Either way, terrible planning on their part for a new product launch.

Reactions: Aarons12
This was definitely a rush job! On your account page, if you click on owner's manual, it sends you back where you were. In the Store, there are 0 items for the Y. This surprises me only because I believe there is a high markup on accessories.

Will you be installing the charger yourself? If not, did you get a quote for installation? I had it installed for 2500 bucks.... I think I got jibbed...... But, everything is expensive out in the Hamptons.

Will you be installing the charger yourself? If not, did you get a quote for installation? I had it installed for 2500 bucks.... I think I got jibbed...... But, everything is expensive out in the Hamptons.
it's hard to compare because each one can be different, but yeah, it's all expensive out there. in our case, it's going on the garage wall. about 6 feet away on the other (outer) side of that wall is a 50 amp circuit that's totally unused since we got rid of our hot tub. so to turn the wire around to inside, run about 6-8 feet of wire, and install the unit was $460.

I just went with the 8.5" and will have to back in to charge. Not a huge deal, but will probably swap it out down the road when we add a second Tesla.
actually now that i've seen where the charge port is located, i might have to do the same. relatively speaking it's at the opposite corner of the vehicle when i pull in front of our garage.

$2,500? If they had to trench a considerable distance that may be reasonable, but for a surface mount/run job that's $$$.

But like you said.. it's the Hamptons... home of the $3 doughnut.

I think they had to put in a new panel in the basement and the garage is a bit of a distance from the house. Oh yeah, $3 dollar doughnuts are considered low end in Sag Harbor.. Everything is double in price and yet quality is inferior.:(

I think they had to put in a new panel in the basement and the garage is a bit of a distance from the house. Oh yeah, $3 dollar doughnuts are considered low end in Sag Harbor.. Everything is double in price and yet quality is inferior.:(
I got mine a month ago and installed with Tesla energy. It cost $1000 for my install. They had to run 25 feet of wiring through a basement wall and crawl into a tiny crawl space as well.

Attachments

• 445A8AE7-8748-43B6-8F6D-9B76BAFF29BC.jpeg
    445A8AE7-8748-43B6-8F6D-9B76BAFF29BC.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 121