Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to Install Springs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a 2022 M3P and, after talking to a tech support person at Unplugged, ordered a set of moderate lowering springs. For the past several years, I have had all my suspension work done at my local (Santa Maria, CA) Big Brand Tire store. When I asked if they could install my springs on my Tesla, the Service Manager told they could not because they could not realign the cameras for lane departure, nor align the suspension. Now, is this just a lot of male bovine excrement, or is there some truth to this? If true would a Tesla dealership (Santa Barbara is the closest) do this work? Otherwise, the closed "authorized" installer according to Unplugged is either Los Angeles or San Jose.

It's BS, the car doesn't need any kind of camera alignment after a spring change. Even if it did, you can trigger a recalibration yourself right on the screen
Springs install on a Tesla exactly the same as any other car, and the alignment is identical to other cars as well.
But it doesn't matter, you don't want someone that doesn't want to work on your car to work on your car.

There are plenty of EV friendly shops in CA that can do it.

As an FYI, do look around before you do this, a lot of people have been unhappy with spring changes only on Model 3's. It's already pretty underdamped from the factory, and springs make it worse. Many people have tried it and then moved to coilovers. Matters why you are making the change and how much you care about handling and ride quality vs just looks. The install cost for coliovers is basically identical to only springs. (it can even be cheaper)

Last edited:
It's BS, the car doesn't need any kind of camera alignment after a spring change. Even if it did, you can trigger a recalibration yourself right on the screen
Springs install on a Tesla exactly the same as any other car, and the alignment is identical to other cars as well.
But it doesn't matter, you don't want someone that doesn't want to work on your car to work on your car.

There are plenty of EV friendly shops in CA that can do it.

As an FYI, do look around before you do this, a lot of people have been unhappy with spring changes only on Model 3's. It's already pretty underdamped from the factory, and springs make it worse. Many people have tried it and then moved to coilovers. Matters why you are making the change and how much you care about handling and ride quality vs just looks. The install cost for coliovers is basically identical to only springs. (it can even be cheaper)
All of the above.

I just ran in to that. Not in CA to drive to unplugged. I’ve done many in the past but don’t really want to do it anymore. Video shows either thin wall or shaved socket.

The crazy one is the DOT brake lines. Same deal and would need a vacuum one person bleeder.

With my 350Z both in CA and WA there are dealers that will install race parts.