Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

where will we be in 3 years time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a read of this sorry tale of woe... DIY EV Installation...

With smoke damage pictures... plus some very good 'experience' recommendations.

The fire started in a faulty isolator switch it seems. It would be great to think that qualified installation electricians would have been more likely to have found the potential fault (before the fault had even shown itself) but if they were anything like the guys that fitted my charge point I would have my doubts. They may well have just made sure their own work was sound just like the owner in this story. Subsequent to installation I had occasion to open up the mini consumer unit in our garage and witness the earth wire literally fall out of its connector! Fortunately our garage is far away from the house so if the worst came to the worst it would hopefully burn itself out without affecting anything else.

The fire started in a faulty isolator switch it seems. It would be great to think that qualified installation electricians would have been more likely to have found the potential fault (before the fault had even shown itself) but if they were anything like the guys that fitted my charge point I would have my doubts. They may well have just made sure their own work was sound just like the owner in this story. Subsequent to installation I had occasion to open up the mini consumer unit in our garage and witness the earth wire literally fall out of its connector! Fortunately our garage is far away from the house so if the worst came to the worst it would hopefully burn itself out without affecting anything else.

Yes, this is just one incident where the guy had the guts to tell the story for people to learn... get it checked, authorised & done properly...

One of the reasons why ALL my power electrical kit is OUTSIDE the house... not inside anywhere...

- Powerwall Battery's are outside
- 3 Phase Meter box is outside
- SolarEdge Inverter is outside
- Ev Charger is outside
- Heat Pump is outside
- Ev Car is outside and always parked away from the front door.

Give me and my family a fighting chance, we also have 8 Nest Protect integrated smoke alarms, Fire extinguishers in all the main rooms, and emergency head torches in all bedrooms.

Screenshot_20220105-163751_Nest.jpg

Last edited:
So why own the Lexus?

Never assume anything ;).

We are a two car family, if anything I can probably live without the car rather than my wife. The only reason we still own the Lexus and not a Model 3 is ££££. We simply cannot justify spending £35k+ needed to swap into a 3 over the Lexus when the Lexus is so cheap to keep.

There hasn't been a single trip I can remember we have taken as a family in the Lexus over the Tesla. We would happily swap the Lexus for another Tesla if some one was to transfer £40K into our bank account......actually probably not right now, an extra £40K would disappear quickly in the planned house renovations :(.

Never assume anything ;).

We are a two car family, if anything I can probably live without the car rather than my wife. The only reason we still own the Lexus and not a Model 3 is ££££. We simply cannot justify spending £35k+ needed to swap into a 3 over the Lexus when the Lexus is so cheap to keep.

There hasn't been a single trip I can remember we have taken as a family in the Lexus over the Tesla. We would happily swap the Lexus for another Tesla if some one was to transfer £40K into our bank account......actually probably not right now, an extra £40K would disappear quickly in the planned house renovations :(.

My 'old' ICE (petrol turbo) car is still with me, I never sold it. At the time Tesla wanted to give me £8000 for it in part exchange.

But for £8000 it's only done 16,000 miles from new and it's a reliable convenient hatchback. I use it now for 'tip runs' and scrapping about in. Dodgy car park stays, Wife runabout and whatnot.

Been valued recently at £15,000 as well :)

Only costs me £400 a year in tax & insurance, so may as well keep it.

Reactions: gangzoom
I have a Sync EV charger, mounted on the outside wall, connected to a specific RCD in the consumer unit, so I can say it has its own isolator switch. It charges at up to 7kw, 32A.
We consumed last year 8,522 kwh, but also generated 3394 kwh from the PV panels. In the summer months we use very little power from the grid. So let's say we consume 12,000 kwh, that is 32 kwh per day, on average. A full charge for the Tesla is about 65kwh or 290 miles driving. this is 2 days of normal consumption of power.

I begin to see why the old looped mains feed isn't going to support every home with an EV charger, heat pump, electric cooking, etc, etc.

Same here ... and I have more issues babying the ICE battery than I do the EV of course ... poor thing just doesn't get enough use.

I had 6 external weather sockets installed around the gardens (originally for Xmas lights)... but can also use them for battery maintenance charger if needed as two are on the driveway.

External weather sockets are highly recommended 👍👍

I have a Sync EV charger, mounted on the outside wall, connected to a specific RCD in the consumer unit, so I can say it has its own isolator switch. It charges at up to 7kw, 32A.
We consumed last year 8,522 kwh, but also generated 3394 kwh from the PV panels. In the summer months we use very little power from the grid. So let's say we consume 12,000 kwh, that is 32 kwh per day, on average. A full charge for the Tesla is about 65kwh or 290 miles driving. this is 2 days of normal consumption of power.

I begin to see why the old looped mains feed isn't going to support every home with an EV charger, heat pump, electric cooking, etc, etc.

Yep... we converted house to 'all electric' and between 00:30 - 04:30 we pull 15kW for 4 hours straight...

Most we used on a Winters day is just over 100kWh...

Screenshot_20220105-175001_Tesla.jpg

Screenshot_20220105-175408_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
This comparison is for US models and is obviously focussing purely on range which not at all the whole story, but it is currently a large contributor to usability. While there is no question that non Tesla manufacturers struggle with charging infrastructure and charging performance, there are many non Tesla models that deliver better in some specific areas.

When you compare net and gross energy consumption for Tesla you really see a more realistic picture. All the heating and cooling that Tesla battery management applies to achieve fast charge rates doesn't come free!

I have a 2020 Kona Electric and it's 10 year battery warranty is quite reassuring. Also, as a daily use car charged at home I find the Kona a more 'honest' product than the Model S.

I find it strange that some of the latest models seem to deliver a little less range than the previous models.

Regarding distribution network issues, I am surprised that more attention hasn't been given to charging devices that limit net load by load shedding at peak use times as well as diverting excess solar PV to vehicle trickle charge.

Having had 2 charge points installed by Chargemaster some years ago before DNO's had realised the issues facing their equipment, I am aware that I have to be careful if I have 2 cars pugged in, bit it makes me wonder just how much kit is installed ’under the radar'.

And in 3 year's time? Well, at least I hope we are well into grappling with just how giant of a task it will be to switch away from fossil fuel derived energy. That will soften demand for EV's I believe, but also increase pressure and opportunity for increased renewable generation.

Last edited:
The other aspect to where we'll be in 3 years is taxation.....

If we've 20 EV's as company cars at work, every one of them is only there because of the 0 or low BiK. multiply that up and you can see where lots of sales are coming from......

If the BiK rates go up, sales will go down.

The other aspect to where we'll be in 3 years is taxation.....

If we've 20 EV's as company cars at work, every one of them is only there because of the 0 or low BiK. multiply that up and you can see where lots of sales are coming from......

If the BiK rates go up, sales will go down.
I am afraid than in 8 years 100% new car sales will be electric.
Lease companies probably won't even lease petrol car few years before that

While I've no issue with people very sensibly taking advantage of it, isn't providing an incentive for EVs through BIK very unfair. A discount that applies to us with good stable employment with established companies. The sooner it stops the better, allow everyone to access any incentives equally.

I totally agree, however when they're 3 years old, thousands of them get dropped onto the used car market.

i'm only using my crystal ball to look forward 3 years. in 8 years, who knows what the rules will be, if they develop synthetic fuels that could change things.
government policy, as it stands now, is "no new ICE in personal (what about trucks>???) from 2030"
if nothing changes in 3 years, then all lease companies will become extremely cautious on car values after 2030. it might be that 3 year old 60k mile ICE beemer will be worth gold in 2031 :D