Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont understand, why again Tesla decided to place the charging port in a such exposed position. Is there no fear of vandalism? A better protected position complete inside, under a hood would be better. And no restriction of the plug size etc.
Then we were able to get our mennekes scoket fpr 3-ph charging as well as a nice socket for high current DC-Charging.

That takes 3 steps and a huge hood.

1. Open the hood.
2. Look for where the port is.
3. plug in

With Tesla's port, it's not even an extra single step, you can just do it by completing the forward motion with the connector as the door opens during the movement (or earlier).

So you can immobilize that $100k going-300-miles doing-sixty-under-4.5 beast by ripping of the charge port door?

Yes. But a vandal can also slash your tires, smash your windscreen or take a chainsaw to the front of your car. They can also put sand in an ICE gas tank. The risks are not worse than with any other car. Although, if the place you live is that scary, suggest you move house?

Yes. But a vandal can also slash your tires, smash your windscreen or take a chainsaw to the front of your car. They can also put sand in an ICE gas tank. The risks are not worse than with any other car. Although, if the place you live is that scary, suggest you move house?

hope you do not fear rain with fine aerosols or snow with little crystals finding their way into the socket while being exposed to the outside climate. Remember, it never rains in southern california, but what about the rest of the world?

So you can immobilize that $100k going-300-miles doing-sixty-under-4.5 beast by ripping of the charge port door?

I don't think it would be particularly easy to do any intentional damage there. If it turns out to be a problem for any reason, for example due to malfunctions, then they could issue a software update allowing an override from the touchscreen.

Charge Port location

The charging port is located on the drivers side rear reflector lens. No one would ever think it was located behind a triangular shaped lens. Both sides of the vehicle have the same lens. The brochure that I have has what appears to be a gas cap door just forward of this lens. I was in New York to see the car last weekend.

I'm sure it would be (just like the door handles will be, as confirmed by Tesla folks and when Elon pushed them out manually at the beta event).

Hope you didn't get snowed in before Halloween in Ithaca! That was a freakish snowstorm!

Nope, not snowed in! I was doing a bit of late-season gardening which the snow interfered with though. :-( Managed to deal with it the next week though.

Feed the hungry monkey a banana?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3228&d=1319628264.jpg
banana2.jpg

:biggrin:
2559.gif

Triple like!!!