Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the Love

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so, it's limited to the battery currently in the 3. They may be able to squeeze 10 or 15 more miles, through SW, but nothing worth paying for. BTW, like you I'm down over 10 miles in range from 240.
It seems the Tesla cars are de-tuned (to a point). And, when the comp gets close they bump "it" up a little to make sure they're always in front.
Do you know what different about our batteries over the S/X? I would think our batteries would be better (?) and therefore do more. Not sure; just feel slighted.

It seems the Tesla cars are de-tuned (to a point). And, when the comp gets close they bump "it" up a little to make sure they're always in front.
Do you know what different about our batteries over the S/X? I would think our batteries would be better (?) and therefore do more. Not sure; just feel slighted.

S/X use very common "18650" size cells, which the Model 3 uses slightly larger "2170" cells. Beyond that (I'm not really sure how that helps them to be honest, but it does change the height of the pack) they use completely different ways of heating and cooling the pack. The Model 3 has vanes that run between the stacks of cells so that every cell is in contact with a temperature-controlled surface, whereas the S/X packs don't feature this and can get heat soaked faster. The S/X packs also contain a dedicated heater, but the Model 3 does not (it has other ways to heat the battery with the coolant loop).

As for squeezing anything more out of these cells, not really possible to my understanding. 100% charge actually corresponds to a high voltage already (4.3V/cell I believe) so they don't have room up there, and 0% also corresponds to some actually very low voltage as well.

The Model 3 (non-performance versions) are definitely "de-tuned", but not in terms of efficiency and range. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to purposely waste energy just so you can update the fleet later to waste less energy, but perhaps I'm being a non-capitalistic optimist here.

The "miles" on the display is eyecandy. It's an estimate. And they keep changing how it's calculated. Get into the Energy page on the display. I wouldn't consider a 10 mile difference meaningful in any way.

If you want more range, it's impressive how much more actual range you get if you 1) set the acceleration to "Chill" and 2) set the automation to a lower top speed. I forget, look it up if you really care, but I think driving at 60 MPH vs 75 MPH is something like twice as efficient. Conversely, if you're loving the kick-butt acceleration, hitting that pedal to scare the horses, and cruising at 75-85 whenever you can get away with it, well, you're NOT getting anything like that displayed mythical "miles" you think you're charging to, are you?

But it's conceivable they'll release an update that will give your LR an actual 400 miles of travel. It will come in the mail as a pack of Xanax tabs and a USB stick for your sound system containing Brian Eno's Music For Airports. Oh, and instructions to set the display to Kilometers instead of Miles, it's a useful placebo.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the 2170 cells are larger and a more modern chemistry,
And that the 18650 cells will be changed to use that new chemistry.
And The model s/x will still use the 18650 cells, but with new chemistry.
Same battery packs, same cooling.
Wish I had the references.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo