Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which adapters to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up MY LR today. I had a HPWC installed in my garage yesterday so i have home charging figured out, but I am uncertain of which adapters to buy. Is the NEMA bundle useful, or is the 14-50 only enough? Same question for the Chademo adapter. Are these type of chargers common enough that purchasing them is essential?

I am assuming you have the WC that is hard wired and NOT a 14-50 outlet based version. As I understood it, the 14-50 WC is no longer or delayed in being produced anymore and the only option is a hard wired WC.

If that is the case, you dont need anything. the WC has a built in Tesla charger that will fit in your Tesla charging port.
If it isnt the case, your WC will have a 14-50 pigtail on it that should plug into a 14-50 outlet. But again, those are really hard to find.
If all you have is a 14-50 outlet installed (dryer outlet) you will need a 14-50 adapter. Tesla sells them for $35. Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
I dont think you need the full charging bundle. I dont plan on buying one. All I currently have is a 14-50 adapter. I may go WC x 2 if my wife buys a M3 after i get my MY. Then we can piggyback and load share the circuit and charge both cars.

I dont plan on buying a Chademo adapter for my MY. There are enough superchargers and my house 14-50 that I dont think I'll need it. Just need to plan ahead. However, if you wanted one, Tesla sells the adapter for $450. CHAdeMO Adapter

I'd probably go with a J1722 adapter if I were going to use public, non Tesla chargers. Much cheaper than $450 for Chademo. It is only $95 from Tesla but I think it comes with every car for "free". SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Keep the J1772 in the car at all times.

I’ve only used the UMC on the road at my families house when visiting. That was with a 14-50.

do you plan on going anyplace special? Camping? Other places?

I purchased a chademo used, but have t used it ever. Had it 2 years now.

I’d suggest:
14-50 - useful at RV parks for emergency
5-20 - faster charging from 120v if you happen to need it and stumble onto that outlet.

A 10-30 or 14-30 are the two common dryer outlets. But usually they are not readily available, so I didn’t buy them and I haven’t missed them.

I am picking up MY LR today. I had a HPWC installed in my garage yesterday so i have home charging figured out, but I am uncertain of which adapters to buy. Is the NEMA bundle useful, or is the 14-50 only enough? Same question for the Chademo adapter. Are these type of chargers common enough that purchasing them is essential?

Don't purchase any adapters in advance of having found a specific need for one of them. The reason is that you never know which adapter that you will need (if any) and purchasing all of them is expensive.

The NEMA outlets are used primarily for large home appliances, construction and heavy industry, for example to provide power to a welder, drier, RV, or electric range oven. They are not explicitly designed for EVs, but the 14-50 is found in some campgrounds for RV power.

J1772 is the plug designed for EVs that you will find in all the other U.S. based L2 chargers.

J1772 adapter comes with the car and should last the life of the car if you don't intentionally break it or loose it.

Chademo is common in some parts of the world and may serve a need where there is no Tesla supercharger. You shouldn't waste money on it because Tesla's supercharger network is just about everywhere that you would expect to go, and there is no guarantee of a Chademo being right where you need it.

I dunno, I like the idea of being able to charge anywhere I happen to be, including not hunting down a supercharger. That's why I bought the bundle, as well as the TT-30 adapter

I'm taking delivery in the next 1.5 weeks of my MY LR, and I have been researching and thinking a LOT about charging strategies. I bought the 3rd Gen wall charger, a NEMA 14-50 adapter, and of course the J1772 adapter that comes with the mobile charger with the car. I think I'll invest in a CHadEMO adapter at some point, but $450 is a bit much to me. I'm all about having the most charging options, so I'd keep J1172, 14-50 and CHadEMO in the car at all times, once I get up to speed. For now, I just need to hit a supercharger 15 miles from the house until my Wall charger will be installed.