Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Cybertruck - Foundation Series

Which version - Foundation Series Dual Motor or Cyberbeast - $102k vs $122k

• All wheel drive - 318 range, no light bar, 600hp

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Cyber beast - light bar, 301 range, 845hp

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • None - wait until you can order without the $20k Foundation option

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Wait until owner reviews are in

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Wait until Kyle does a review - Out of Spec Motoring

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I had the choice, I would go for the $79,990 version that would get the $7500 tax credit. I have a feeling that the majority of the year will be the Foundation Series year and I don't want to wait any longer. Tesla is getting my money for the Dual Motor Foundation series because they sent me an early invite. It isn't because I want it, it is because they gave me no other choice. ;)

Reactions: weleckid
Kyle - Out of Spec Motoring is not technical enough for me to evaluate the CT. Every other Tesla is close enough to other EV's for a predominantly visual comparison.

The CT is a technical marvel compared to other vehicles in its class.

For instance - how is Kyle going to compare things he can't see - Like the 48V system? I think Kyle does a good job of things he can see, but the CT is a marvel at what you can't see. I would love for Kyle to do a dissertation on the 48V system and the still single non 48V parts such as the seat motors...and the vendors response to Teslas 48V requests after a thousand years of 12V.

I would love for Kyle to do a dissertation on casting. He can't.

already have a plaid so no need for a super fast truck. Dual motor with more range.
I was going to do exactly the same Since I have the plaid S and ludicrous X already, but then I found out that the dual motor will not come with locking differential front or rear. Based on that I am leaning towards the beast again. I got my invitation just need to pull the trigger. I wanted the dual since it comes earlier, but without the locking differentials it sucks.

Idk.

Tesla is doing lots of new things with this truck which makes me nervous. Anything unique tesla does, they don't land 100 percent. Auto wipers, FSD, auto brights, the control arm problems on the s/x... I'm sure I can go on and on.

On the one hand. I'm SUPER excited they are adding steer by wire to the cybertruck and I hope they add this to future versions of the X. On the other hand, I don't want to be one of the first owners of a steer by wire tesla and I want to see how the steel body holds up to key scratches and the elements, how it looks wrapped irl, and what it feels like when the uniqueness of this truck wears off after you see 1-2 a day.

I also wonder how much the price for this thing is going to drop. Personally, while I don't think this will ever be a 40k truck, I don't think it will be like plaid bad (plaid during the pandemic was like 140-150k, and now it's 100kish) either. Rather, I think the 'launch' price (for foundation series) 100-130k is probably the raised price for 2024 and they are expecting to bring it down to 80-100k in 2025, then maybe another 5-10k lower in 2026+ with the cancelation of the 60k version.

Lastly, it's very likely the foundation series version of this truck will be the worst version of this truck. Remember how steam games were teased for the plaidium cars? How the original plaids didn't come with rotating screens (which is essential for usability of that massive screen imo)? How it was teased there would be games on the back screen with their own bluetooth connections for earphones/games? I don't think the original plaids get any of these features (maybe the bluetooth in the back, I'm hearing conflicting reports). I'm stumbling around, but what I'm trying to say is that we don't know what things elon promised is coming for the cybertruck won't be coming to the foundation edition, or how long it'll take to add missing features back to the truck (like FSD).

I voted None. Wait and see how all of this plays out. HOWEVER, if you are in love with the truck. If you have a preorder with a foundation invite, and if you have enough money to buy the foundation edition laying around to burn. Why not. Go Cyberbeast! Just remember the parable of the broken teacup:

"'One day Ajahn Chah held up a beautiful Chinese tea cup, “To me this cup is already broken. Because I know its fate, I can enjoy it fully here and now. And when it’s gone, it’s gone.'” When we understand the truth of uncertainty and relax, we become free."

The Cybertruck will be cheaper in the future, it won't be as rare at some point, and the foundation series is likely to be the worst version. Just like Ajahn Chah with his teacup, accept it for what it is and enjoy it in the here and now (or in 2024 when you get it). After the warning that was the overpriced plaid cars, I don't want to see anyone here who ordered the foundation version of the cyberturck back crying in 1-2 years when their value plummets. You're paying the high price to enjoy it before most others. That could be 6 months or less or it could be a year or more. If you need the money, you should wait. Congrats to the people taking the plunge with the foundation series. Make sure to post about your experiences frequently!

I was going to do exactly the same Since I have the plaid S and ludicrous X already, but then I found out that the dual motor will not come with locking differential front or rear. Based on that I am leaning towards the beast again. I got my invitation just need to pull the trigger. I wanted the dual since it comes earlier, but without the locking differentials it sucks.
I get that for sure. I also wanted more range, or at least as much as I could get. The extra 20K didnt agree with my pocketbook as well.

Idk.

Tesla is doing lots of new things with this truck which makes me nervous. Anything unique tesla does, they don't land 100 percent. Auto wipers, FSD, auto brights, the control arm problems on the s/x... I'm sure I can go on and on.

On the one hand. I'm SUPER excited they are adding steer by wire to the cybertruck and I hope they add this to future versions of the X. On the other hand, I don't want to be one of the first owners of a steer by wire tesla and I want to see how the steel body holds up to key scratches and the elements, how it looks wrapped irl, and what it feels like when the uniqueness of this truck wears off after you see 1-2 a day.

I also wonder how much the price for this thing is going to drop. Personally, while I don't think this will ever be a 40k truck, I don't think it will be like plaid bad (plaid during the pandemic was like 140-150k, and now it's 100kish) either. Rather, I think the 'launch' price (for foundation series) 100-130k is probably the raised price for 2024 and they are expecting to bring it down to 80-100k in 2025, then maybe another 5-10k lower in 2026+ with the cancelation of the 60k version.

Lastly, it's very likely the foundation series version of this truck will be the worst version of this truck. Remember how steam games were teased for the plaidium cars? How the original plaids didn't come with rotating screens (which is essential for usability of that massive screen imo)? How it was teased there would be games on the back screen with their own bluetooth connections for earphones/games? I don't think the original plaids get any of these features (maybe the bluetooth in the back, I'm hearing conflicting reports). I'm stumbling around, but what I'm trying to say is that we don't know what things elon promised is coming for the cybertruck won't be coming to the foundation edition, or how long it'll take to add missing features back to the truck (like FSD).

I voted None. Wait and see how all of this plays out. HOWEVER, if you are in love with the truck. If you have a preorder with a foundation invite, and if you have enough money to buy the foundation edition laying around to burn. Why not. Go Cyberbeast! Just remember the parable of the broken teacup:

The Cybertruck will be cheaper in the future, it won't be as rare at some point, and the foundation series is likely to be the worst version. Just like Ajahn Chah with his teacup, accept it for what it is and enjoy it in the here and now (or in 2024 when you get it). After the warning that was the overpriced plaid cars, I don't want to see anyone here who ordered the foundation version of the cyberturck back crying in 1-2 years when their value plummets. You're paying the high price to enjoy it before most others. That could be 6 months or less or it could be a year or more. If you need the money, you should wait. Congrats to the people taking the plunge with the foundation series. Make sure to post about your experiences frequently!
I really appreciate this post. I bought a Plaid S in 2022 for $140k and would be lucky to get $75k for it now. But I didn't learn my lesson and picked up my Foundation series Cybertruck yesterday. I'm completely in love with it but I'm freaking out.

My wife and I have had Teslas since 2018 and are fully offset with 48 solar panels on our home. We have two young boys and we spend a lot of time outdoors. I also have a job that involves moving a lot of equipment and using the Model X wasn't very practical so I've been patiently waiting for an electric truck. I finally broke down in October and bought a pre-owned R1T because it looked like it would be years before the Cybertrucks would actually deliver. Then I got the invite for the foundation series in December.

The foundation is obviously just paying to cut the line but I figured I would go through the motions and see how the math would work out. So I put the $250 deposit down and started looking into it. Because I got the Rivian pre-owned, I was able to get almost what I paid for it, so I didn't take a hit there (actually came out ahead considering the tax saving I got through my business last year). The insurance for the Cybertruck was actually a few bucks cheaper than the R1T, so I was good there too. I've been fortunate enough to tuck away some cash so I was able to put enough down to keep my payment about the same as the Rivian.

I honestly wasn't sure I was going to go through with the purchase until I went to pick up the truck on Thursday. The wonderful Tesla rep told me I could look at the truck before finalizing the sale. After the embarrassing reveal with smoke machines and lasers and cheering employees, I got to spend some time looking over the at the truck. And I completely fell in love with it, especially after spending a few months with the Rivian.

The R1T is a really nice vehicle but the Cybertruck is in a different universe. Everything about it is more premium, from the software to the automatic tonneau cover to the interior to the insane lines, it's really just in a league of its own. And I know the first version is generally the worst and I'm sure this won't be an exception but I looked for flaws that I've seen in other Teslas I've owned and I just couldn't find any. I think because they're not mass producing yet, the quality is much higher. It really feels like they have something to prove.

So I finalized the purchase and drove off with the truck. I knew I would get some attention but I was naive to just how much. The amount of people going out of their way to take videos and talk to me is insane. I even had a passenger hang out her window and flip me off as she drove by completely unprovoked. I know it's a very polarizing vehicle but didn't think it would be so uncomfortable to take out in public. And I think because of that in combination with the insane price that I've been wondering if I made a mistake.

Obviously new cars depreciate quickly but for the first year Tesla will either buy the car back for purchase price minus 25¢ a mile or let me sell it, which I imagine would even be for a profit. So it's a pretty low risk purchase. But even still, I know eventually it will be a broken teacup. Still very overwhelming and keeping me up at night.

All that to say, thank you for your post. It reminded me that I might as well try to enjoy it while it's new.

I really appreciate this post. I bought a Plaid S in 2022 for $140k and would be lucky to get $75k for it now. But I didn't learn my lesson and picked up my Foundation series Cybertruck yesterday. I'm completely in love with it but I'm freaking out.

My wife and I have had Teslas since 2018 and are fully offset with 48 solar panels on our home. We have two young boys and we spend a lot of time outdoors. I also have a job that involves moving a lot of equipment and using the Model X wasn't very practical so I've been patiently waiting for an electric truck. I finally broke down in October and bought a pre-owned R1T because it looked like it would be years before the Cybertrucks would actually deliver. Then I got the invite for the foundation series in December.

The foundation is obviously just paying to cut the line but I figured I would go through the motions and see how the math would work out. So I put the $250 deposit down and started looking into it. Because I got the Rivian pre-owned, I was able to get almost what I paid for it, so I didn't take a hit there (actually came out ahead considering the tax saving I got through my business last year). The insurance for the Cybertruck was actually a few bucks cheaper than the R1T, so I was good there too. I've been fortunate enough to tuck away some cash so I was able to put enough down to keep my payment about the same as the Rivian.

I honestly wasn't sure I was going to go through with the purchase until I went to pick up the truck on Thursday. The wonderful Tesla rep told me I could look at the truck before finalizing the sale. After the embarrassing reveal with smoke machines and lasers and cheering employees, I got to spend some time looking over the at the truck. And I completely fell in love with it, especially after spending a few months with the Rivian.

The R1T is a really nice vehicle but the Cybertruck is in a different universe. Everything about it is more premium, from the software to the automatic tonneau cover to the interior to the insane lines, it's really just in a league of its own. And I know the first version is generally the worst and I'm sure this won't be an exception but I looked for flaws that I've seen in other Teslas I've owned and I just couldn't find any. I think because they're not mass producing yet, the quality is much higher. It really feels like they have something to prove.

So I finalized the purchase and drove off with the truck. I knew I would get some attention but I was naive to just how much. The amount of people going out of their way to take videos and talk to me is insane. I even had a passenger hang out her window and flip me off as she drove by completely unprovoked. I know it's a very polarizing vehicle but didn't think it would be so uncomfortable to take out in public. And I think because of that in combination with the insane price that I've been wondering if I made a mistake.

Obviously new cars depreciate quickly but for the first year Tesla will either buy the car back for purchase price minus 25¢ a mile or let me sell it, which I imagine would even be for a profit. So it's a pretty low risk purchase. But even still, I know eventually it will be a broken teacup. Still very overwhelming and keeping me up at night.

All that to say, thank you for your post. It reminded me that I might as well try to enjoy it while it's new.
Did you get the beastie, or other version? Please say more about your ownership experience..

Congrats. Sounds awesome.

Reactions: Leeclanual
I’m a first day second hour res holder. Own 3 Tesla’s now. Just because I’m ripping the CT, doesn’t mean I haven’t supported Tesla.

I just call them like I see them.

I’m not a betting guy but you would loose that bet

Another buzz kill post… let the man enjoy his new CT and go cry in your cereal somewhere else… like the “CT is a Scam” thread with the other trolls

I paid the deposit 4 days ago for the dual motor. I decided not to get the Beast because I want to get it as quickly as possible. I ordered a Beast 6 months after the first order so maybe it will be one, two or three years from now and I can order another one. At that point I will probably buy the Beast. I'm not buying the truck for resale to make money. I loved the design when I first saw it and now I also love the engineering. Since I did not buy it for resale I don't care if I get the $20,000 back for the foundation series if and when I eventually sell it.

I don't think I would have bought full self driving if it was an option but I was glad the Foundation Series made me buy it. On Saturday I test drove a Model X with Full Self Driving and I thought it was amazing. Now I want it. I hope they get FSD or at least the basic autopilot activated in the CT soon.

Reactions: outdoors
1712577805837.png

Kyle - Out of Spec Motoring is not technical enough for me to evaluate the CT. Every other Tesla is close enough to other EV's for a predominantly visual comparison.

The CT is a technical marvel compared to other vehicles in its class.

For instance - how is Kyle going to compare things he can't see - Like the 48V system? I think Kyle does a good job of things he can see, but the CT is a marvel at what you can't see. I would love for Kyle to do a dissertation on the 48V system and the still single non 48V parts such as the seat motors...and the vendors response to Teslas 48V requests after a thousand years of 12V.

I would love for Kyle to do a dissertation on casting. He can't.
Does anyone here listen to what Sandy Munroe has to say? He sounds like he knows a thing or two.