Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is easier to lower?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am ordering a 85d soon and plan on getting some 22" wheels. Which suspension is easier to lower? The standard coil suspension or the air suspension? From searching it seems one just needs to change the links on the air ride cars. Any help for a newbie appreciated.

John

I am ordering a 85d soon and plan on getting some 22" wheels. Which suspension is easier to lower? The standard coil suspension or the air suspension? From searching it seems one just needs to change the links on the air ride cars. Any help for a newbie appreciated.

John
The air suspension has a selection for "low always" if that helps. It can actually go even lower, but is limited by the software.

Lowering links on the air suspension is really easy. I installed mine in about a 45 min. It's a little tough without taking the wheels off, but I was able to do it by just using a floor jack to raise the corner I was working on. Make sure to use jack stands for backup.

I've lowered both cars--- and now there are even springs for the coil cars. But the only real DIY solution is links, and air suspension. If you go links, I suggest:
Audi Porsche Bentley Mercedes Volkswagen Range Tesla Rover Lowering Kits

Those can be done yourself... but if you go low enough you'll need to consider adjustable or different rear upper arms to resolve camber (otherwise, be ready to replace tires often). No matter what you do, after lowering any car, a four wheel alignment is always best.