Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which one should I buy 3 or S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Laxeus

Feb 25, 2019
NC
Hi,

I am a future model 3/S owner and new to this forum.

I am struggling between the Model 3 performance and the Model S with the 60K price tag.

I wanna know which one will be the better choice.

Hi,

I am a future model 3/S owner and new to this forum.

I am struggling between the Model 3 performance and the Model S with the 60K price tag.

I wanna know which one will be the better choice.

As others said, these are VERY different cars. Similar to the difference between a BMW 3 series, and BMW 5/7 series. I have a Model 3 performance, and am in a Model S 75D. For "me" while the model S is a very nice car, if this was the only tesla that was available, I would not be driving a tesla. It feels very "big" and "heavy" to me. Very fast in a straight line, but the handling is nothing like the model 3. For me, this is a "cruising" car that is skewed much more toward "luxury".

Nothing wrong with that, but its not what I want for my primary driver. I had a BMW 435 "grand coupe" which is the 4 door version of their coupe. Hatchback, sloped roof line, aggressive styling, factory lowered a bit, adaptive suspension. That was my previous daily driver. Even though I am not "boy racer" on my commute, I like a nice car that handles well when I am driving. My wife drives the SUV and even hers is a "performance" SUV.

I could have bought a nice BMW 5 series for what I paid for the model 3 performance, but I dont like the 5 series.. same as model S its too "big" for me, even though it handles nice.

So, OP no one can answer this for you, because the cars drive very different. Additionally, the model 3 cockpit is completely different than anything else on the market, including the model s. The model S feels much more traditional (although I bet on the re design the model S moves toward the model 3 look inside).

You have to drive them. I will be happy to give this loaner model S back after my 3 gets out of service. Very nice car, but not for me. Model S drivers would probably say the same thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: bredi
As others said, these are VERY different cars. Similar to the difference between a BMW 3 series, and BMW 5/7 series. I have a Model 3 performance, and am in a Model S 75D. For "me" while the model S is a very nice car, if this was the only tesla that was available, I would not be driving a tesla. It feels very "big" and "heavy" to me. Very fast in a straight line, but the handling is nothing like the model 3. For me, this is a "cruising" car that is skewed much more toward "luxury".

Nothing wrong with that, but its not what I want for my primary driver. I had a BMW 435 "grand coupe" which is the 4 door version of their coupe. Hatchback, sloped roof line, aggressive styling, factory lowered a bit, adaptive suspension. That was my previous daily driver. Even though I am not "boy racer" on my commute, I like a nice car that handles well when I am driving. My wife drives the SUV and even hers is a "performance" SUV.

I could have bought a nice BMW 5 series for what I paid for the model 3 performance, but I dont like the 5 series.. same as model S its too "big" for me, even though it handles nice.

So, OP no one can answer this for you, because the cars drive very different. Additionally, the model 3 cockpit is completely different than anything else on the market, including the model s. The model S feels much more traditional (although I bet on the re design the model S moves toward the model 3 look inside).

You have to drive them. I will be happy to give this loaner model S back after my 3 gets out of service. Very nice car, but not for me. Model S drivers would probably say the same thing.

I would echo jj's sentiments, but the other way around. I have an MS as my daily and am currently doing an overnight test drive of the M3P.

For me the M3P is fast, fun, go-cart like but I love the big heavy luxurious cruising of the model s on my commute. The model 3 feels like a toy and I can't drive it every day. The cockpit is too small and the storage is much smaller too. I have the 911 as my weekend toy car and my wife drives the behemoth model x, so the m3 doesn't fit my needs in any way.

So just like everyone said, your situation is unique and only you can say what is right for you.

IMO, now that I've rented a Model 3 over the past weekend, Model 3 is hands down far superior to Model S.

The only advantage of the Model S is the rear seat space and trunk. The Model 3 trunk is terrible.

From a driving/functionality experience, the 3 is worlds better than an S. The cockpit is better IMO, the vents are way better, the interface is faster, the storage is better, I found the audio to be better too. It charges faster, is cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to charge at home.

Deciding between a Model S (used for 60K) and a new Model 3 is a no-brainer for me. Hands down Model 3 all the way. Much more refined and much better car. I wouldn't pay 60K for a 2012 design car (Model S) that handles like a barge and desperately needs a refresh.

As an X and previous S owner, I love my business partner's P3D!

If I was to buy a car just for me as a driver's car, the P3D wins hands down.

Though I enjoy driving my X P100D, I love the tech in the 3.

As everyone says, check them out in person. Assuming your local Tesla store isn't getting shut down, you can probably ask for an "overnight test drive". I was able to do that and keep the car for about 15 hours. If they'll still let you do that, that is the best option.

I was a day one reservation holder and totally planned to get a Model 3. Then after multiple delays, I did the overnight test drive on the Model S...and I was hooked.

When the Model 3 came out I test drove it, and was one of the first batch of people in the Bay Area to be able to test drive the Performance Model 3 when it came out.

Model 3 is very BMW 3-series like. I don't know the exact difference in size and interior space, but to me (having previously owned a 3-Series) they felt similar. Fun, nimble and great on curvy roads. For me, I still prefer the S, though I enjoyed the Model 3 as well in my various test drives - particularly in high-speed canyon carving (hats off to the anonymous Tesla rep that let me do that for almost 30 minutes!).

So while I originally thought I'd drive the S for a few years until the Model 3 (Performance) came out, ultimately I changed my mind. I love the comfort, the dual screens and the hatchback. It is a bit unwieldy in some parking lots because of the size. But overall, I prefer it.

But as everyone is saying, they are quite different and it really depends on what you prefer and/or need in a car.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

I have a model S. I sat in a Model 3. They're both OK on the inside.

I prefer the hatchback/liftback design of the Model S as I can easily get a couple of mountain bikes in the back with the seats down. I find boot/trunk designs too restrictive.

I can see that the yacht vs speedboat size differences will make a big difference to your preferences. I like the bigger size of the Model S. It has adequate legroom for most of my passengers.

Model S is the Swiss Army Knife of cars. I have raced it, driven through blizzards with snow obliterating any road markers, and carried 50 lava rock bags over a tarp with rear seats folded.
For a multikid family this is da car.
Just got the extended warranty, will haul eight years in this car, me of all people, who used to swap ICEs every 2-3 years.

Thanks for your advice and I just test drove both last Friday!
That P100d is quick, like nothing can describe that acceleration. It’s not like MCL-720s and other supercars, the instant response from the pedal is insane.

I still decided to purchase M3P for the better battery, tech and most importantly, lower price.

For me, a recent college grad, even if my projected salary is competitive, that 120k price tag is still a more than considerable amount for me.

M3P is probably the best choice for me and if there is no more hardware update for MS, I think I will use my balance to purchase a M3P 6 months later.

Thanks for all Tesla users for their opinions!

Even if I don’t have a Tesla now, I’m lovin’ this community already!