Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With transfer of FUSC, which Model Y should I get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S with FUSC (SC05, non-transferable). With the latest offer, I could buy a new Model Y and I believe the FUSC would transfer over to it, for as long as we own the Model Y. That would be great, we would appreciate the faster battery charging, and a battery warranty that extends out a few more years. Wifey also likes the higher ride height of the Y. With 3 superchargers in a 3 mile radius of my house, there’s plenty of options to supercharge when needed. Here’s my charge stats for the past 12 months.
IMG_6492.jpeg

So getting a new Model Y would work out great for us. However, between the LR and the P, which is the better choice right now? I can’t believe they’re only $4,000 different in price, which makes me lean toward the Performance model, but I’m not sure if there are any negatives about the Performance model. Thanks for the help in deciding.

The only negative of the performance model is the low profile tires and the size of the rims on it. I didnt care about that, because I like the larger tires from a looks standpoint.

EDIT:

I guess I should have also said that when my wife and I made this decision for ourselves (selling her BMW X3 M40 for a model Y because she was tired of going to the gas station), we got the performance model. The difference at that time was 5k, and I felt that a 5k difference on a car that cost as much as these do, for the additional performance when I wanted it, was worth it.

Its the same reason she had the X3 M40, instead of the X3 30i (because when I drove it, I sometimes wanted a little more performance). For a 4k difference they are basically begging you to buy a performance model, if you dont mind the tires and rims it comes with.

Last edited:
I believe the brake calipers on the Performance are larger than the standard model. You'll have to check if the 19" rims will fit. Even if they don't, I test drove the Performance car extensively and the ride with the larger tires/rims is fine, especially if you're used to performance suspensions/handling. It's well worth the upgrade price, which is a bargain, and I would have bought one myself, but at the time the waitlist for a Performance was 3 months long and I needed a car quickly.

Reactions: El joe and David99
I believe the brake calipers on the Performance are larger than the standard model. You'll have to check if the 19" rims will fit. Even if they don't, I test drove the Performance car extensively and the ride with the larger tires/rims is fine, especially if you're used to performance suspensions/handling. It's well worth the upgrade price, which is a bargain, and I would have bought one myself, but at the time the waitlist for a Performance was 3 months long and I needed a car quickly.

Yes, the 19” fits over the Performance trim brakes. However bear in mind that the factory Performance wheels are staggered in width with wider 10.5” rims in the back so the offset and where other Tesla wheels will sit in the wheel well will be “off” from OEM if you slap on a set of 20” or 19” rims from a normal Model Y or Model 3.

Some aftermarket companies make 18” rims specifically to clear the performance brakes - Tsportline and Martians come to mind. It’s a popular mod with the Model Y Performance.

Alternatively if you like the big wheel look that the 21’s come with the MYP, a popular swap is to put on bigger tires to provide a smoother/softer ride and curb protection. 265/40 21 and 295/40 21 are the tire sizes to go with. Pilot AS for all season or the Pilot 4 summer tires if you don’t drive in the snow. Continentals if you want to save a little weight I think.

-Paul

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
Yes, the 19” fits over the Performance trim brakes. However bear in mind that the factory Performance wheels are staggered in width with wider 10.5” rims in the back so the offset and where other Tesla wheels will sit in the wheel well will be “off” from OEM if you slap on a set of 20” or 19” rims from a normal Model Y or Model 3.

Some aftermarket companies make 18” rims specifically to clear the performance brakes - Tsportline and Martians come to mind. It’s a popular mod with the Model Y Performance.

Alternatively if you like the big wheel look that the 21’s come with the MYP, a popular swap is to put on bigger tires to provide a smoother/softer ride and curb protection. 265/40 21 and 295/40 21 are the tire sizes to go with. Pilot AS for all season or the Pilot 4 summer tires if you don’t drive in the snow. Continentals if you want to save a little weight I think.

-Paul
How much large is the diameter of a 255/50 vs a 255/45? Just wondering if there is a risk of the tire hitting the upper part of the wheel well when the suspension is all the way compressed...

I have a 2015 S with FSC. I just ordered a RWD Y. At first, I was certain I was getting the MYLR, no questions asked but then I read about LFP vs Cobalt. Degradation on the LFP is much better. I took a test drive on an RWD this afternoon at its performance was fine by me.

If you want performance, get the MYP. If you want mileage, get the RWD. You're not going to get 330 miles out of the LR. It's going to degrade quickly.

I have a 2015 S with FSC. I just ordered a RWD Y. At first, I was certain I was getting the MYLR, no questions asked but then I read about LFP vs Cobalt. Degradation on the LFP is much better. I took a test drive on an RWD this afternoon at its performance was fine by me.

If you want performance, get the MYP. If you want mileage, get the RWD. You're not going to get 330 miles out of the LR. It's going to degrade quickly.
That's a great point. With LFP batteries are you supposed to keep them charged to 100%? So you'd get the real 260 miles range out of it, whereas with a LR with degradation and only charging to 80% means you'd get about .... the same amount of range anyway?

That's a great point. With LFP batteries are you supposed to keep them charged to 100%? So you'd get the real 260 miles range out of it, whereas with a LR with degradation and only charging to 80% means you'd get about .... the same amount of range anyway?

You do get the real 260 miles of range and that range will last longer. But I don't think you are supposed to keep them charged to 100%. Instead, you can charge them to 100% whenever you want.

Remember, if you're at a Supercharger getting that last 30 miles of range is really slooow. Still it's a nice option to have before a road trip. I've done plenty of road trips in my S and its better to go from something like 80-90% down to 20-10% because Supercharging is faster in the middle of the capacity range.

I placed the order last night at 9PM for a new Model Y Performance, MSM, White interior. Base price $52,490 plus $1,000 for the interior upgrade. Uploaded all my driver license info, insurance, etc. and applied for a loan. By 9AM this morning I have the loan approved, and a VIN has already been assigned!? And now it's time to schedule delivery, oh boy! That was so fast. I think before delivery, I have to fill out some paperwork regarding the transfer of FUSC from my 2018 S100D to the new Y Performance.

Reactions: SO16 and David99
So to recap, I placed my order on Thursday at 9PM for a Model Y Performance, Friday morning at 9AM the loan was approved and I had been assigned a VIN, at 10AM I had the paperwork for the supercharging transfer which I signed and returned by 11AM. The sales center contacted me all weekend to try and take delivery of my new Tesla but I waited until the transfer paperwork was officially uploaded to my account. Monday morning I received that confirmation that the paperwork checks out, that my old VIN is eligible for free supercharging transfer. My appointment to pick up the new Model Y Performance is on Wednesday afternoon. So hopefully, start to finish, in less than a week. Yay! Furthermore, I reached out to the Tesla rep who processed my supercharging transfer, and he confirms that yes, if I had taken delivery of the new Tesla over the weekend before my paperwork was processed, I probably would not receive the supercharging transfer. So that's good to know.

at 10AM I had the paperwork for the supercharging transfer which I signed and returned by 11AM
Would you mind sharing what the paperwork stipulated? as in, did it state the transfer will remain with owner and no longer be valid if vehicle ownership is transferred and/or the vehicle losing FUSC will be "pay-as-you go"...

Really appreciate you going through the process for the rest of us. Can't wait for an update on/or after Wednesday.

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: kingkong5
Would you mind sharing what the paperwork stipulated? as in, did it state the transfer will remain with owner and no longer be valid if vehicle ownership is transferred and/or the vehicle losing FUSC will be "pay-as-you go"...

Really appreciate you going through the process for the rest of us. Can't wait for an update on/or after Wednesday.

Thanks in advance!!

Its posted in one of the many other threads on this offer, here:

It specifically confirms that FUSC that ends up on the new vehicle is valid for as long as YOU own the vehicle. This is the same thing it says on the free unlimited supercharging transfer offer page.

Thanks in advance!!
Here's a copy of the agreement you have to sign and return and allow them to process, BEFORE you can take delivery of your new Tesla. It's my understanding that as soon as I take delivery of the new vehicle, my older vehicle will have the FUSC removed immediately, and it becomes pay-as-you-go supercharging. Tesla staff also told me that it can take up to 72 hours before the FUSC is officially moved over to my new vehicle. I'll see what happens tomorrow!

When I purchased the new Tesla, the system gave me the $250 referral bonus for being a repeat buyer. When they applied the FUSC transfer, the bonus was removed, so I ended up having to make an additional $250 payment to Tesla (It was actually $270.36, I guess because of tax?). I've made that payment already, so everything checks out for delivery tomorrow.

Attachments

• Supercharging Transfer Agreement v2 (1).pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 83

Thanks in advance!!
1698897103737.jpeg

1698897169791.png

Unfortunately it’s confirmed that the new rwd is non LFP batteries. I ordered a rwd and quickly changed it to LR because of this

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Helpful
Reactions: David99 and EVChris
...The sales center contacted me all weekend to try and take delivery of my new Tesla but I waited until the transfer paperwork was officially uploaded to my account. Monday morning I received that confirmation that the paperwork checks out, that my old VIN is eligible for free supercharging transfer...
...I reached out to the Tesla rep who processed my supercharging transfer, and he confirms that yes, if I had taken delivery of the new Tesla over the weekend before my paperwork was processed, I probably would not receive the supercharging transfer. So that's good to know.
To confirm, the signed transfer agreement appeared on your account? Where was the signed agreement located? What did your final MVPA list?

I have an email from an "Inside Tesla Advisor" confirming my signed agreement was submitted for the transfer and I have a message within the app from the Delivery Advisor stating my account reflects the transfer from my FUSC VIN.
I DON'T have any copy of the transfer agreement (signed or unsigned) in my account under either the old or new vehicle, and the MVPA for the MY shows "Supercharger Network Access + Pay-as-you-go".