Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which P will it Be? P100D or M3P

P100D or M3P

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Santa Fe TX.
I have some time to think this through. I’ll need to see the stock at $1,200.00 before I can consider the S anyway.
I don’t think it’s a matter of if but when we’ll see that price so I’m hoping to be prepared when it happens.

Wasn’t sure where to post, so I’ll start here. Besides, this thread is what started me really thinking of the S again.
I tried "Launch Mode" for the first time today.

A bit of background. Over two years ago we were the proud owners of a Model S 75 RWD. It was our first induction to Tesla ownership and I was in love. Less than a year, my wife Karen was really in hopes to get a Model X. Well, we know how that goes. So, I’ve been eyeing the chance to get back into an S but this time do it in all its glory.

When the Model 3 came out I was like, “na, not my cup of tea, one screen, ect.” It’s hard to ignore all the great stuff you hear about the car along with previous owners of the S really enjoy the 3. I thought it was about time to see what this was all about. So, I’ve been looking at the Model Y’s for business venture and decided to take a test drive in the 3 to see how the UI felt along with how it car felt on the road (considering the Y will be on a similar platform). Uh, well, I enjoyed how it drove and how fun it felt on the road. No this was not the performance version but that’s not what the drive was meant to consider. I kind of liked it. So here we are. I can only obtain one, so I have to choose. At first glance, I’m all in on the model 3 performance & I understand that’s now down to 2.9sec 0-60? The fun driving, easy to see out of. Simplicity ect. Owning the Model X for over the year, you get use to big windshield compared to the Model S. Driving a loaner one day when they were changing out to HW3 I felt, well, it’s not as easy to see out of the front as I remember. I feel this is where the 3 really shines. It easy to see out of with the lower dash. So, this is what I need to figure out. I feel if I go for the 3, I will get a nice enjoyable fun to drive car that’s fast. If I go for the S, I may not have that sport feel but I would be all in on that ludicrous performance. I’ve read a few post where 3 owners mention how quick the performance is only to be followed by a mention of the model S performance. .. and yes, I can go back and forth on free supercharging and no side pockets and lack of arm rest storage, (which really does get to me). Not a big racer but I did take the S75 to NOLA Motorsport during a track day lite and had a blast. I would consider some local SCCA events with the 3. I know, 3rd world problems right?

F-ing Karen...

Anyway, it sounds like your reasons for going for the P100D are its acceleration. The M3P is nothing to scoff at, and will be a better track performer than the S. The S is a more comfortable, luxurious vehicle with more space, and a bit more accleration, but I would not call it a slam dunk. I'd say if you're buying the S for just a tiny bit more speed, you are missing its stronger suits, but that's just me. Everyone's priorities are different, and it's difficult to put your own priorities over someone else's. This is really a gut check.

Best thing I can offer you is this...test drive an m3p and a p100d back to back. Do a couple launches take a few corners and then decide what you’d prefer.

for me I can’t stand the lack of air suspension on the 3 so it would be a no go. I don’t know if the m3p is truly 0-60 in 2.9 or not. I went head to head with a friend that has a 2020 m3 stealth sleeper and my p85d beat him by just a tiny bit. I usually run around a 3.1. 0-60.

Interesting because I hate the air suspension because it’s soft and loose. P100D gives u sports car acceleration that handles like an 80’s Cadillac (and that’s not a compliment!)

too bad Tesla doesn’t have a suspension with adjustable dampers

I don't think the pre-Ravens offer true adjustment, but the Raven S/X does for sure. There is a noticeable difference when I set it to Comfort vs Auto vs Sport. Sport is too rough for me to keep on all the time but it does tighten up the handling. The M3 will still handle better like a go-kart. Just depends what you're after. I still prefer the versatility of air suspension, comfort, and space of the S over the 3. If you already have an X then maybe a 3 would make more sense to balance out the equation -- although in terms of ride quality the S is still better than either 3 or X.

Last edited:
Have you considered a used P100d? I've seen a few for around high 70s/low 80s if price is keeping you at bay. Of course we still don't know when an actual cosmetic refresh will take place, so if looks are a criteria you may want to hold off re: buyer's regret. Of course the other issue seems to be that Model 3 owners appear to be getting priority with regards to getting issues resolved quicker, probably because they seem to have reigned in any issues over the past year or so. But again, being an X owner maybe you've already seen this firsthand.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
Bruh. Is you wife really named Karen?
Yep.gif

Best thing I can offer you is this...test drive an m3p and a p100d back to back. Do a couple launches take a few corners and then decide what you’d prefer..

Good idea and hope when time get's close I'll get that chance. Not a concern about air vs coil over for I believe, could be wrong, that is what makes the M3 handle so well.

Have you considered a used P100d?
Model 3 owners appear to be getting priority with regards to getting issues resolved quicker, probably because they seem to have reigned in any issues over the past year or so. But again, being an X owner maybe you've already seen this firsthand.

Not at this time. Good idea to looked in used market. Not a reason to hold off the purchase. Just want to ensure I'm happy making the best pick. Good point on service. Again, I can easily get lost in the woods trying to add up all the small differences. One thought is the new technology in the 3 vs the S but again, I want to ensure I look at all options.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
If you get an S, get a Raven. MCU2 + AP3 + you get a little bit better acceleration and 1 pedal hold mode driving .

How often would you take advantage of the M3P's handling? I've got an AWD+ and a friend has an M3P that he actually tracks. For me I would have gotten a S LR Raven if it weren't so much more expensive. There are very few twisty roads near me.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
I don't think the pre-Ravens offer true adjustment, but the Raven S/X does for sure. There is a noticeable difference when I set it to Comfort vs Auto vs Sport. Sport is too rough for me to keep on all the time but it does tighten up the handling. The M3 will still handle better like a go-kart. Just depends what you're after. I still prefer the versatility of air suspension, comfort, and space of the S over the 3. If you already have an X then maybe a 3 would make more sense to balance out the equation -- although in terms of ride quality the S is still better than either 3 or X.
interesting, was unaware that it was fully adaptive. I might have to take a test drive to see how different it feels since that's one of my biggest gripes.