Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which will ship first: Model X or iPhone 6S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. By they time Apple it taking pre orders, iPhones by the millions (all essentially identical except for case color and memory size) are already built and sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be shipped. Tesla still has to manufacture each individual car to custom specs for each owner.

I think the only truly objective metric on which to measure this little race is when the first actual, real, paying, non-tesla/apple employee, end-user gets their car/device in their hands. Not orders, not pre-orders, not design studio, etc. Actual delivered product. For that, Apple will win.

That's logical.

Most recent leaks from the past few days indicate that Team Tim Cook has finalized dates for iPhone 6S preorder and actual availability. Timbo is the undisputed Supply Chain genius. No pressure, Tesla.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/23/iphone-6s-preorder-date/

Popular French website mac4ever has the scoop thanks to an internal leak from a major French carrier (whose name the site is protecting), which confirms iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus orders will indeed be taken from September 11th.
To back this up, mac4ever’s contact at the carrier also sent a photo of the notificationApple AAPL -5.66% has sent out to French carriers and also flagged up September 18th as the day sales and shipments will begin (note European date formats run:day/month/year).

It is important to point out that as a tier one country, France has historically had the same pre-order and release dates as the US.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/24/elon-musk-colbert-late-show/

Elon Musk will be appearing on Stephen Colbert's September 9th show. This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase Model X with some dramatic flare in front of millions of audience members. I would be shocked if Elon didn't use this chance to show off Tesla's latest and greatest.

Based on this data point, I think it is likely that Tesla's design studio will go live on or shortly before 9/9. This will add to the drama if iPhone 6S is announced on 9/9 as credible rumors indicate.

I believe that there is 99.9% probability that Timbo the Supply Chain Wizard will have iPhone 6S in the hands of customers at 00:01 on Friday September 18th, 2015. On the Tesla side, photos of a nearly un-camouflaged Blue Model X were posted to the Sighting thread today, and there are rumors of Model X already in Europe.

Elon Musk will be appearing on Stephen Colbert's September 9th show. This is a tremendous opportunity to showcase Model X with some dramatic flare in front of millions of audience members. I would be shocked if Elon didn't use this chance to show off Tesla's latest and greatest.

Based on this data point, I think it is likely that Tesla's design studio will go live on or shortly before 9/9. This will add to the drama if iPhone 6S is announced on 9/9 as credible rumors indicate.

I believe that there is 99.9% probability that Timbo the Supply Chain Wizard will have iPhone 6S in the hands of customers at 00:01 on Friday September 18th, 2015. On the Tesla side, photos of a nearly un-camouflaged Blue Model X were posted to the Sighting thread today, and there are rumors of Model X already in Europe.

He's going to have 3-7 minutes on his slot with Colbert. No way he breaks anything on that show.

Reaching a large audience and the revealing the Model X makes me wonder: How will the NY Times broder the Model X? Will they drown it in a river and complain that it won't swim? Will they drive it off a cliff and complain that the "falcon doors" don't actually make the Model X fly like a falcon? So many questions but I'm saying it right here right now, we will see a bad NY Times review of the Model X within the next 6 months. Any thoughts?

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/27/apple-invites-2015-iphone-event/

As predicted in August, Apple is planning to hold a media event on Wednesday, September 9 at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, California. Media invites were sent out today, with Yahoo's Alyssa Bereznak sharing the first look at the artwork and tagline for the invitations: "Hey Siri, give us a hint."

Quick analysis of the artwork: The Apple logo has sort of a wave form shape, which makes it seem like the Siri wave form. Alternatively, the "leaf" part of the Apple appears to be pushing down on something, perhaps implying the implementation of the Force Touch interface (from Apple Watch and MacBook) on the iPhone.

Who will reach the finish line first? Elon Musk, the genius entrepreneur with a history of being late to the party? Or will it be Tim Cook, the supply chain and profit master who has yet to convince the Mac faithful that he can continue to dazzle as Steve did.

The safe bet is Tim Cook. Which is why I'm betting that Elon's Model X will beat the iPhone 6S to market. Not that it matters, as these products have almost no relation.

I am defeated (most likely) :crying:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/639180971418320896 @elonmusk: "First production cars will be handed over on Sept 29 at our Fremont factory"

My only sliver of hope is that Tim Cook announces on September 9th that iPhone 6S won't be delivered until September 30th or later, but I don't think there's any realistic chance of that happening.

My only sliver of hope is that Tim Cook announces on September 9th that iPhone 6S won't be delivered until September 30th or later, but I don't think there's any realistic chance of that happening.

Eh, it could happen! It wouldn't be the first time iPhone deliveries are delayed.

Anecdotally, I'm thinking of that 80's Michael Keaton movie Gung Ho where they patched together a few "demo" cars just to meet a deadline. I could see Tesla "delivering" the first few Model Xs on that date, and when the press leaves they whisper to the owners "umm... we need your car back for a few days to install the motors". :) I wonder if all the first deliveries are local owners.

And to answer the question: iPhone 6S wins by 4 days.

I was pretty surprised when Apple announced 9/25 for the 6S. I think they may want to ensure adequate stock on hand, because last year's 6/6+ launch was pretty awful. Asian scalpers (buying iPhones to re-import to China to sell for thousands of $ apiece) snapped up a lot of the early stock, and fights broke out at several Apple stores. This is not the image that a premium/luxury brand wants to have. Honestly some Apple Stores looked like refugee camps or had the atmosphere of rowdy biker bars.