Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which X and options are best for us?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the same boat except I’m trying to convince my wife that a Tesla is the way to go, especially the model x. 6 seat option is what I want. I just looked and even took my kids to sit in one 2 days ago and I’m sold and I haven’t even test driven one. Anyone have tips on how to convince their spouse to buy one? I’d appreciate it.

It all comes down to affordability. If your family can afford it without tightening the belt, there should be very little convincing you need. It's the coolest SUV you can buy hands down. Let the kids do the talking.

It all comes down to affordability. If your family can afford it without tightening the belt, there should be very little convincing you need. It's the coolest SUV you can buy hands down. Let the kids do the talking.
When I did the extended test drive (take an X home Sat 5pm, return it Monday 10am) - my wife drove it and loved it. That sold it. She loved the instant response, the self opening and closing doors, and the music selection.

We are a minivan family. I convinced everyone around us by saying 1) it’s electric, 2) it’s safer for kids than a gas engine car, 3) it has 6-7 seats and can replace the minivan when that craps out.

Those 3 points plus letting my wife experience all the automatic features while driving it won the day.

When I did the extended test drive (take an X home Sat 5pm, return it Monday 10am) - my wife drove it and loved it. That sold it. She loved the instant response, the self opening and closing doors, and the music selection.

We are a minivan family. I convinced everyone around us by saying 1) it’s electric, 2) it’s safer for kids than a gas engine car, 3) it has 6-7 seats and can replace the minivan when that craps out.

Those 3 points plus letting my wife experience all the automatic features while driving it won the day.
I haven’t heard of an extend test drive! This might be something we need to consider. How did you set it up?

I haven’t heard of an extend test drive! This might be something we need to consider. How did you set it up?

Get in contact with a showroom sales person. Let them know you're serious, and ask for a 24-hour test drive. Most locations will grant these if they believe you are close to making the purchase. In my case I mentioned that our garage is small and we needed to see how well the car fit inside in the 'real world.'

Get in contact with a showroom sales person. Let them know you're serious, and ask for a 24-hour test drive. Most locations will grant these if they believe you are close to making the purchase. In my case I mentioned that our garage is small and we needed to see how well the car fit inside in the 'real world.'
Same for us. Wanted to see it fit in the garage. Also had a blast showing it to friends and trying ludicrous mode. We didn’t buy ludicrous mode bc it’s too hard for us to justify the expense for just the speed benefit. Also I noticed after punching it so much the car blower got really loud - like a vacuum cleaner - for 20 min trying to cool the battery. Then it would cool too far and emit a low pitched whine for another 20min to warm up the battery. We don’t have that noise issue in our Raven MX LR. Super quiet exterior and interior. We hear a faint electric whine when accelerating - like a quiet golf cart - which we accept as the new “engine noise”.

Same for us. Wanted to see it fit in the garage. Also had a blast showing it to friends and trying ludicrous mode. We didn’t buy ludicrous mode bc it’s too hard for us to justify the expense for just the speed benefit. Also I noticed after punching it so much the car blower got really loud - like a vacuum cleaner - for 20 min trying to cool the battery. Then it would cool too far and emit a low pitched whine for another 20min to warm up the battery. We don’t have that noise issue in our Raven MX LR. Super quiet exterior and interior. We hear a faint electric whine when accelerating - like a quiet golf cart - which we accept as the new “engine noise”.
Incidentally, we also test drove the Jaguar I-Pace. I sold a 2005 Jaguar XJ8L before we got the Tesla and I love Jaguars. The I-Pace was good looking and the driver cockpit was great. The seating for everyone else wasn’t great which killed our interest.

It also doesn’t have all the innovative tech features a Tesla has. But I’ll say this for the I-Pace - it was silent. Not even the electric whine. In fact they had an option to pipe in subtle, simulated engine noise through the audio to make it feel more like a traditional car. Build quality was awesome on the I-Pace but the Tesla won out for us on seating, tech and innovation.

Pretty sure the MX is in our future. Need to get into the new house and will begin shopping around. Guarantee I'll be around here asking random questions!

I look forward to hearing them.

PS - We've had our X for 11 days and are past 600 miles already. Can't wait to take this puppy (along with our 3) on an extended family road trip next month.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: candy_sr
@SeaNile - Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but your $80k budget might get you an existing inventory, brand new model. Lots of them with steep discounts off sticker for the month of July,. We got our X100D last June 10 with a $15k discount off sticker and free unlimited supercharging. That, plus our downpayment plus our trade in and the $3,750 Federal Incentive and the $500 from NY State - it made a lot of sense. We are now an all-electric family with me driving the S and my wife driving the X. :)

You may say you don't need Autopilot, but it's one of those things that you don't know you need until you experience it on your daily commute. Newer ones also get you the Dash Cam and Sentry mode which record what's going on around your car, while you're driving (dash cam) or when parked (Sentry). Most of the inventory cars have FSD (Full Sell Driving) options built-in, meaning when that becomes available, your car will just get it OTA (over the air) if you have the latest computer, which some existing inventory 2019's do.

Talk to a Sales Advisor and ask them to scour the existing inventory database and see if you can get one within your budget. You might be surprised. If you find one, make sure you get it delivered prior to month-end to take advantage of the incentives from Uncle Sam and your local State gov't.

Good luck!

Were they implying that yesterday (06/22) was the last day to get your order in to guarantee delivery before July 1st? I ordered 06/20 and am skeptical that they can deliver in time, but maybe there's hope!
They told me that I couldn’t even test drive on Wednesday unless I was going to place an order that day.

I did get an email late last night after I asked for clarification. They told me that they want me to know that if I test drove Wednesday and placed an order that day that I would not meet the deadline.

So i am able to test drive still, but I basically won’t be able to get the tax break. I wasn’t too happy with them saying I wasn’t even able to test drive unless I was ordering which their email clearly said, but I’m glad they changed their minds.

They told me that I couldn’t even test drive on Wednesday unless I was going to place an order that day.

I did get an email late last night after I asked for clarification. They told me that they want me to know that if I test drove Wednesday and placed an order that day that I would not meet the deadline.

So i am able to test drive still, but I basically won’t be able to get the tax break. I wasn’t too happy with them saying I wasn’t even able to test drive unless I was ordering which their email clearly said, but I’m glad they changed their minds.

Got it. Yea, no kidding, I'd have been mad too if they had refused to let me test drive. We test drove 06/20 and ordered shortly thereafter.