Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Model Y - Visible knicks - last day - return or no return.

Return or not

• Return to Tesla

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Keep

Votes: 28 82.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a long wait, I finally got a model Y last Thursday VIN 32xxx. All looks good with some minor acceptable defects.

The only thing that really bothers me is a knick in paint at the passenger side rear door that's very visible. Wondering if you guys think this is fixable?

If it is not fixable, do you guys think I should return? If it were near the Bottom of trunk or elsewhere, I might be ok with it. But this is at prime spot where I would notice going in and out, and I am super OCD.

Went to PDX service today, and their solutions was to put touch up paint but didn't really make a difference. Plus the paint look grayish instead of white.

If you think I should keep, do you know if we can get rid of that knicks?

Attachments

• IMG_5497.JPG
    IMG_5497.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 108
not knowing if it was there or if it happened on your watch, I'd have to default to keep the car...might not be their fault.
Now if it was there at delivery then I'd think you would have seen and documented it...although sometimes it's easy to overlook things in the excitement of the new toy I suppose. Still, doesn't seem like their fault.

look at it this way.... even if you trade it in and get another... you're going to get a door ding eventually. If it's no worse than that little chip count your blessings.... that should be easy enough to touch up I would think

@glide was inside the service center today for bad sanding mark. It looks like they focused on that and didn't fix the nick. (touch up paint on the nick which make it worst instead).

see pic for the botch sanding near the fuel

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 90
I think this is a very minor problem. I had a similar knick on the passenger side at about the same location: "c'est la vie..."
I guess from someone opening a door next to my car. I did put some touch paint and it is barely noticeable.

However, the spot is not as shiny if you look very close because I use a little bit of sand paper to make smooth.
The only perfect solution would be to paint the whole door as the more you try to work on this knick the more you make it larger : )

Note: I ordered a Kit (primer, paint, clear coat) from AutomotiveTouchUp but also other companies like TouchUpDirect have similar products.

- I used first the Pen type but I had difficulty for getting the paint out so I would recommend getting the Brush instead.

Reactions: ArtK
If people are returning it for this, Tesla might end up canceling the return process one day. Hopefully they will fix it, but being white pearl, it probably won’t happen because they will have to paint most of that side of the car.
Or they will learn how to paint/handle new vehicles.

Don’t blame OP for Tesla’s incompetence.

The existing 7 day return policy actually benefits Tesla at this time because customers are accepting cars with issues and they are putting faith in Tesla's repair dept. that the issues will be corrected to acceptable standards. Without the return policy.. everyone would be rejecting cars right off the bat because a take it or leave it approach doesn't work with a $60k purchase.

Right now "we the people" hold all the cards, if your car has issues.. note them and give the SC 7 days to correct them. If they can't/won't... reject the car right then and there... send a message! No reason to be unhappy with a $60K purchase! Use the power you have before the 7 day window slams shut with you being on the outside :(

I had some paint issues on my white Y, along with cracked paint under the lift gate handle area, and very small dent on the rear passenger door. Dropped it off at Service last week and they are having Fix Auto fix the paint issues and repair the dent. So, I'm pretty sure your local service center will offer to send it to a local body shop if they don't handle those issues themselves.