Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White seats with Premium Upgrade Package: What do you actually get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who feel a vegan seat is the "ethical" choice, are you also ok that the vegan seats are made with a petroleum based product? Leather bad ...oil ok? Curious.

I think making products with oil is generally fine. It's the burning of oil that is stupid.

I've always said that oil is an incredibly precious resource that we need to conserve for important things like medical plastics. Burning it into the atmosphere is wasteful and damaging.

• Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I think making products with oil is generally fine. It's the burning of oil that is stupid.

I've always said that oil is an incredibly precious resource that we need to conserve for important things like medical plastics. Burning it into the atmosphere is wasteful and damaging.

Garrick, thanks for the thoughtful reply. The problem with oil for plastics and other uses is the process of extracting those products ends up with a lot of waste product if you can't use it as gasoline, diesel, bunker c, and petcoke. So when you refine oil for ethical purposes, you end up with a LOT of waste product if you can't burn it. Way too much to dump in a landfill. I just think both sides should be heard in this debate. You can't get the positives of oil without the negatives.

Four weeks and 3,400 miles and the ultra-white seats look great. However, I noticed that I have apparently been scraping against a small side panel below the shoulder harness and have scraped a 1"x1" curved area away. The material seems incredibly thin in that area. I will hope that Tesla will replace the panel as this should not have happened getting into the car after one month (and no, I did not scrape it with metal grommets/hardware on jeans (my first thought).

IMG_0665.JPG
Bruce, can you post a photo of the area in question?
. This should not really happen in one month.

I know that spot has been a frequently reported area of increased wear on all Teslas. I had heard at one point that Tesla made some changes to how prominent the spot was, but I can't really confirm. I think if you normally drive with your seat leaned back past a certain point, this spot will definitely be more exposed. I am especially careful getting in and out of the car, and I guess that is the only solution besides maybe covering the spot with a layer of protective plastic or cloth tape.

What I have done (and a lot of cars today have this as an automatic feature) is to make to different driver profiles... called something like "Driving" and "Parking" or "In" and "out"....the driving profile is my seat adjustment and mirrors and everything as I like them. The Parking profile I have the seat drop down and tilt the seatback so that it is easier to climb out of the car without putting undue stress on the side bolster of the premium seat as well as scraping the underside of the steering wheel and the pillar spot that you mention.

So when I get in the car I hit the "drive" profile and the seat adjusts to my driving position. Then when I get where I'm going I hit the "Park" profile and the seat adjusts to give me more space to get out of the car.

However, I noticed that I have apparently been scraping against a small side panel below the shoulder harness and have scraped a 1"x1" curved area away.

The small side panel on my 2015 S85D looks exactly like that i'm sad to say. I noticed at 19000 miles, roughly 1000 miles ago and was sad. There has also been leather dye transfer to my drivers seat which i thought was dirt. I had my cobbler look at it thinking he can treat the leather and get out the dirt but he told me it was dye transfer, I only noticed the scrape u mention when the shoe repair guy stopped by my car to try to clean the seats. oh well.

PS I have old school grey seats not the new stunning white or whatever they are called. YMMV.

So when I get in the car I hit the "drive" profile and the seat adjusts to my driving position. Then when I get where I'm going I hit the "Park" profile and the seat adjusts to give me more space to get out of the car.

I did basically the same calling it "EXIT" which works quite well. We really need to have TESLA let the driver pre-select a profile when pressing the "PARK" button.

For those who feel a vegan seat is the "ethical" choice, are you also ok that the vegan seats are made with a petroleum based product? Leather bad ...oil ok? Curious.
I know this thread is ancient, but I asked about it. The ultra white seats are apparently made from a vegetable oil process. Of course now I can't find any confirmation of that anywhere, so it's possible the employee was mistaken. I wouldn't put it past Tesla to make them out of vegetable oil though.