Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who did NOT get the tech package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get the tech package and don't regret it either. I bought my car more than a year ago when the feature set was different. Back then, driver profile (a biggie for me) was included with my leather seat package. Parking sensors did not exist. For me, the only interesting features were navigation and self-presenting door handles. I reasoned (helped by less than deep pockets) that the door handle thing would lose it's novelty eventually and just touching the handles to present was almost as good. I rarely use navigation as I am almost never in an unfamiliar place. My Iphone is an adequate standin. At the end of the day, those features were not worth $3750 (plus tax) to me.
If I were buying today, it would be a different story because of how it's packaged. I may upgrade anyway in a few years.

yep. I didn't get tech package on my car delivered in Feb'12. I have features that aren't available without tech package today

I have lighted door handles and I can pop by touch
I have LED daytime running lights

I use my phone for use turn-by-turn navigation.

If buying the car today, I'd get tech package. I don't regret not having it on my existing car.

Interesting...my car does not have tech but I can unlock and open by simply pushing the handle of the driver's door. I can also open the trunk while locked with the key just in my pocket. I have an early VIN so perhaps the behavior is different on earlier cars?

I also do not regret forgoing the tech package...the only thing I really missed was navigation, and that was not worth $3750 to me. My non tech car came with LED DRLs, lighted door handles, premium interior lighting, and electro chromatic mirrors. .

Ditto. My May 2013 car came without tech package (an acquaintance in the factory even took a photo of it on the assembly line; it had a special sticky note "NO TECH PACKAGE" stuck on the dash).

Mine has:
touch sensitive door handles
driver profiles
LED Daytime running lights
Interior LED lighting
electrochromatic mirrors
tracking maps with traffic

It lacks
voice-activated turn-by-turn navigation
power liftgate
probably some other doo-dads
The sum of which did not add $3750 of value to me.

Retracting mirrors and parking sensors were not available when I ordered.

Really, the whole point of all these option packages is to be able to claim a certain MSRP. When I ordered, the features were priced like regular manufacturer's features. Now they have taken a page from Porsche and made formerly standard stuff like headliners and wood paneling into expensive options. And jacked up the price of the other options. MSRP is $72k, but ASP is more like $100k with options and big batteries.

Last edited:
If the tech package is so integral to the car, then Isn't it rather disingenuous to offer it as an "option"? This is a holdover from the "old regime" of auto sales. TMC should rise above it. We're spending $100k + or -, why treat us like fools?

If the tech package is so integral to the car, then Isn't it rather disingenuous to offer it as an "option"? This is a holdover from the "old regime" of auto sales. TMC should rise above it. We're spending $100k + or -, why treat us like fools?

yea...I guess they had to keep the base costs down. But notably , aside from the 85kW over the 60kW choice (85kW "option" = huge value, I never recommend the 60), the tech package is the best value out of all the options for the Model S. It was observably clear when they went through a round of price changes last year that the reason for doing so what not for consumer benefit but instead to increase their margins (aka $1k for a few $5 LED lights, $1.5k price hike for a "name change" of the sound studio, $1k price increase of 21" wheels (bc they know thats pure profit due to the amount of rim replacements they have to do post-sale), etc).

I would agree with you that out of all the options, I think the "tech package" should be standard equipment. Everybody should have it. It's part of the experience of owning the car. You're missing out I think if you don't get it. I think it's integral to the high quality of the vehicle. The "premium lighting" package should also be standard. That one was just ridiculous to pull out and have it as a separate option. The rest of the options can remain as-is because I truly feel they are real options.

I would agree with you that out of all the options, I think the "tech package" should be standard equipment. Everybody should have it. It's part of the experience of owning the car. You're missing out I think if you don't get it. I think it's integral to the high quality of the vehicle. The "premium lighting" package should also be standard. That one was just ridiculous to pull out and have it as a separate option. The rest of the options can remain as-is because I truly feel they are real options.
It would be kind of ridiculous for Tesla to make the tech package standard and either increase the base price or reduce their profit margins below target. I think the only way it would happen is if they reduce their costs on the base model to the point that they can make it standard without either of those compromises. Some people really need to stretch to afford Model S and sometimes that means leaving out the tech package, so in that respect I think Tesla is doing the right thing to make it an option so more people can buy a great car.

My thought is that when the Model S first came out Tesla was really hard pressed to keep the base price under $50K, and moving some items to the tech package was part of that. Once it got moved out from under the base price, putting it back would be hard at this point.

yea...I guess they had to keep the base costs down. But notably , aside from the 85kW over the 60kW choice (85kW "option" = huge value, I never recommend the 60), the tech package is the best value out of all the options for the Model S.

The value of any of these options is purely in the eyes of the beholder. I skipped on both these options, I do not regret my battery choice one bit. I have driven 500+ miles in a day, have 3k miles in about a month (and thats a lot of extra driving). I just don't need 85kWh for this car and my 99% driving habits. But to each his own, to me it has no value for the 1% of the time it might make my life easier. I know the warranty is a bonus, but I have driven a lot now on purpose, forcing my habits, but this will level out for me and I expect 6 years before I hit 125k in this car.

I do however regret not getting the tech package, kinda. I definitely wouldn't regret the pre-10k VIN non-tech package (touch entry, driver profiles, DRLS). The touch entry and DRL (safety) missing on non-tech cars is the most ridiculous thing, IMO. Thats really all I wanted and actually thought I was getting the former. They tried to add it to my car for $250, but got bad info from engineering and it actually required a whole new wiring harness instead of just some antenna ($2000). I have some creative ideas on how I might retro-fit my own automatic keyless entry though :)

The nice thing is most of these options are retro-fittable (at a cost) later if you really regret it. Even the battery upgrade is only an extra 5-8k on top of what it would have cost you from the factory, but if my car is really holding up that well after 6 years and my 60 battery warranty is about to expire - I will happily pay that then (and probably get a bigger battery), given the good chance of saving 8-10k now if it doesn't hold up or is not needed.