Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Had ICE Ruined For Them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They still currently have an advantage when it comes to long distance travel. You can fill up an ICE car in 5 minutes and get on your way. It takes over an hour to fill a Tesla to 100% even using a supercharger.

While sometimes your long distance travels might require that, most of the time if you are traveling SC to SC on navigate you’ll be going to 80% SOC or less and under an hour. As more of the SC network gets built out that will be the case for more people and with the advent of the faster rate chargers even less of a thing. If I was taking a long distance trip and could take our MS or Model 3 or let’s say my traded-in Toyota Avalon, both my husband and I would still rather take one of our Teslas. Which is why we have been a 2-Tesla family now for almost a year. We also don’t look at our typical 30-40 minute charging time an annoyance. It gives us time to decompress and get caught up on the news or grabbing a cold drink or bite to eat.

BTW I was also wondering if @Dan203 owned a Tesla. Seems more like the comments from an ICE owner or at least non-Tesla owner.

Saw that he’s ordering one and I think once he’s been driving his Tesla for a bit and getting more familiar with how it’s recommended you charge on longer trips, he’ll have a better understanding of why, those of us owning one already, don’t really agree with some of his statements.

Last edited:
Well I've had my Model 3 a few months now, and despite the flaws with the "customer service" side of things, the driving dynamics are amazing. I went back to driving a Mercedes C63s the other day and I was blown away. The car felt... slow, sloppy, and almost annoying to drive. I used to work for Mercedes and anyone who knows cars knows the 63 AMGs are no slouches. But after driving the Tesla exclusively for a few weeks I can't enjoy the twin turbo V8 (besides the sound, which is still amazing). Considering the price I paid for the Model 3 is half the Mercedes, I feel like an idiot for not buying the Tesla sooner. Have any other car guys had gasoline cars ruined for them? I'm almost sad that I can't really enjoy driving my ICE cars anymore!

Agreed 100%. Converted ex-BMW M fanboy, I drove every version of the M5 since 1991 my latest being the F10 M5 before moving to the Model 3. I'll never go back to ICE. As corny as this might sound it changed my perspective and opened my eyes. Sure it's not perfect but it just keeps getting better with every software update. ;)

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I won't buy anything but EV for now on. I'm on my second Tesla and I absolutely cannot think of a reason to buy an internal combustion engine vehicle ever again.

I don't understand why anyone who has spent any time with a Tesla would consider spending the same or more money on an ICE vehicle.

Because you need to haul a big load and have great range.
However going to work and back is an entirely different matter.

On the plus side it looks like they have plans to install a supercharger at Kirkwood, which is about 1/2 way along that route and one in Stockton somewhere. So in the not to distant future I'll be able to visit my niece without having to take a special route.

@Dan203,
Not sure where you are coming from as my map suggests Kirkwood is 100 miles from Stockton, sure that may be a bit "out of your way" but you could also easily charge at -
Manteca Supercharger
The Promenade Shops at Orchard Valley 960 Perimeter Dr Manteca, CA 95337
or maybe
Antioch, CA Supercharger
Target 5769 Lone Tree Way Antioch, CA 94531

Both seem a lot closer to Stockton, and if you play your cards right you could charge during her play and not miss a beat.

Some mentioned the OTR charging time...I've made a few trips to Chicago from Lansing about 220 miles and so as not to arrive in a low SOC I usually charge for 20 minutes about halfway there. In addition to the personal refueling (for food, drinks, restroom) I figure that I'm willing to spend about 20 minutes and $9 to go another 160 miles vs. about 5 minutes and $30 to go that same 160 miles. Of course when I get to Chicago I can charge at many or most hotel parking ramps and Superchargers or wherever.....

@Dan203,
Not sure where you are coming from as my map suggests Kirkwood is 100 miles from Stockton, sure that may be a bit "out of your way" but you could also easily charge at -
Manteca Supercharger
The Promenade Shops at Orchard Valley 960 Perimeter Dr Manteca, CA 95337
or maybe
Antioch, CA Supercharger
Target 5769 Lone Tree Way Antioch, CA 94531

Both seem a lot closer to Stockton, and if you play your cards right you could charge during her play and not miss a beat.

Some mentioned the OTR charging time...I've made a few trips to Chicago from Lansing about 220 miles and so as not to arrive in a low SOC I usually charge for 20 minutes about halfway there. In addition to the personal refueling (for food, drinks, restroom) I figure that I'm willing to spend about 20 minutes and $9 to go another 160 miles vs. about 5 minutes and $30 to go that same 160 miles. Of course when I get to Chicago I can charge at many or most hotel parking ramps and Superchargers or wherever.....

Wrong direction. I'm coming over 88 from NV. If you're looking at the map basically just follow 88 from Minden. NV to where it dead ends into the 99 in Stockton, CA. That's essentially my route. Only planned SC on that route is in Kirkwood, which is almost the 1/2 way point of the trip which would be perfect. They also say there is one planned for Stockton itself, but right now the map just shows it plopped into the middle of the town name so it doesn't have an exact location yet. If it's actually near where I'm going then I might be able to use them both to limit how long I have to spend charging.

I could also go the 50 route through Tahoe. It's an extra 30m or so to go that way, but they have 3 SCs along the route so I could if needed.

In the past this was just never something I had to even consider. Gas is ubiquitous so it's not something I had to think about.

I like the drivetrain of my Model 3, but everything else is fairly neutral to negative vs. some ICE cars at this point. I vastly prefer the handling, feeling of connectedness, and ability to do an entire track day of my Miata and my sister-in-law's BRZ. And I prefer my ability to maintain/beat up/not worry about repair costs on our family car (a CX-5, and formerly an Expedition). And I prefer the brake feel of literally every other car on the road. We rented a Pacifica the other day and I actually had the thought "I wish my Model 3's brakes were as good as the ones on this minivan."

Once the EV offerings expand and improve, I think I'd generally prefer an EV over an ICE car due to some inherent advantages. But not yet.

And I prefer the brake feel of literally every other car on the road. We rented a Pacifica the other day and I actually had the thought "I wish my Model 3's brakes were as good as the ones on this minivan."

What setting do you have for regen? When I did my test drive I tried both modes. In low mode it felt more like a normal car, where it sort of coasted when you let off the gas. (well coasted like an automatic) With it in standard mode it was jarring and hard to get use to, but once I did I rarely had to use the brake at all.

I am thinking about buying a Tesla, likely the 3 because it apparently handles better than the others. I have test driven the X. There is no question in my mind that electric cars are the future, and if you can charge them at home overnight (I cannot), I think there time has arrived outside of the cost issue. The Teslas are decidedly pricy. The 3 is worth it to me because I am into performance cars. But at around $80,000ish for the others, it makes little economic sense, particularly for those for whom performance is not a major factor. One can buy a comparable gas car for less than half that. But the ICE's days are numbered. The cost of electric cars will keep coming down. Of course, if the source of electricity is coal, the benefit of driving on electric car on climate change is small (though, I am told, not zero--easier to regulate a coal plant than a bunch of car owners).

You are backtracking, backfilling and backpedaling. What you said that was counterfactual was that it takes an hour for people to charge fully at a supercharger. That's just plain wrong and again you are spreading misinformation.
If I’m almost empty, and am actually charging my 3 to full on a Supercharger, it does in fact take an hour. Of course, most people charge to 80-90% and get on their way.

I like the drivetrain of my Model 3, but everything else is fairly neutral to negative vs. some ICE cars at this point. I vastly prefer the handling, feeling of connectedness, and ability to do an entire track day of my Miata and my sister-in-law's BRZ. And I prefer my ability to maintain/beat up/not worry about repair costs on our family car (a CX-5, and formerly an Expedition). And I prefer the brake feel of literally every other car on the road. We rented a Pacifica the other day and I actually had the thought "I wish my Model 3's brakes were as good as the ones on this minivan."

Once the EV offerings expand and improve, I think I'd generally prefer an EV over an ICE car due to some inherent advantages. But not yet.
You prefer the minivan's brakes compared to the regen braking of the M3? I'm wondering if there's something wrong with your Model 3.

I like the drivetrain of my Model 3, but everything else is fairly neutral to negative vs. some ICE cars at this point. I vastly prefer the handling, feeling of connectedness, and ability to do an entire track day of my Miata and my sister-in-law's BRZ. ...But not yet.

Wait, wait - did you say that the handling and feel of 2 lightweight 2-seat (or 2+2 seat) sportscars is better than that of a 3700-lb 5-seat luxury sports sedan?!? STOP THE PRESSES!!!! ( /S)

Here, I'll do one too: We rented a Suburban over the weekend for some hauling duty. The Model 3 sucks by comparison (for hauling), therefore ICE vehicles are preferable overall. WTF?!?!

I prefer EV at this point but many of you are exaggerating the negatives of ICE.
My wife's 2014 Impala drives nicely(can't even tell when the 300hp V6 is running) and has been cheaper to own and more reliable than my same year slightly less mileage S. My biggest complaint is it is front wheel drive which I hate in all cars. Yeah the first few stops the lack of Regen is weird but I adapt.
I even have a 135k mile 2005 GMC Sierra kids call it big white rusty, I use for hauling particularly large or messy things. On a roundabout it feels like the Titanic listing to starboard but even that isn't as bad as many of you PRETEND ICE are.

This ICE is awful and you have to be an idiot to enjoy one attitude some of you have is very off-putting.

I prefer EV at this point but many of you are exaggerating the negatives of ICE.
My wife's 2014 Impala drives nicely(can't even tell when the 300hp V6 is running) and has been cheaper to own and more reliable than my same year slightly less mileage S...his ICE is awful and you have to be an idiot to enjoy one attitude some of you have is very off-putting.

The Impala is a really good car, full stop, and a great value in a big sedan.

To me it's not a matter of bashing ICE vehicles, but more just stating a preference for the overall EV driving experience, as you did.

Wait, wait - did you say that the handling and feel of 2 lightweight 2-seat (or 2+2 seat) sportscars is better than that of a 3700-lb 5-seat luxury sports sedan?!? STOP THE PRESSES!!!! ( /S)

Here, I'll do one too: We rented a Suburban over the weekend for some hauling duty. The Model 3 sucks by comparison (for hauling), therefore ICE vehicles are preferable overall. WTF?!?!
Correct. Indeed I do not find the Model 3 to be The Greatest Car Ever Made as is commonly asserted here and elsewhere. It did not ruin me for ICE vehicles because there are many ICE vehicles I prefer over any available EV. My reaction to this thread is: I find the idea that the Model 3 could "ruin" you for ICE vehicles to be an odd idea in the first place for exactly the reasons you have identified in the part where you talk about renting a Suburban.

Now, assuming you could find every car in every style available with a battery and electric motor instead of a standard ICE power plant, I think EVs would have some inherent advantages. There are still many disadvantages in my opinion, although most could be addressed over the mid-long term.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dfwatt