Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR RWD, just mounted X-ICE onto VMR wheels. Get virtually no regen until almost to a stop. Watch it try to ramp up, and then quickly go back down to nearly nothing. If you watch the power bar, you can see it trying to regen over and over but it pulls back each time.

Reactions: PlasmaRitual
LR RWD, just mounted X-ICE onto VMR wheels. Get virtually no regen until almost to a stop. Watch it try to ramp up, and then quickly go back down to nearly nothing. If you watch the power bar, you can see it trying to regen over and over but it pulls back each time.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing, as well. I've been meaning to take a video but haven't gotten around to it yet. Would make communicating the issue a lot easier. In short, it's definitely the car being cautious, and it's definitely not a perception issue by some of us with winter tires. It's a major change, and the fact that it won't smoothly apply regen is pretty jarring.

Yep, that's what I'm seeing, as well. I've been meaning to take a video but haven't gotten around to it yet. Would make communicating the issue a lot easier. In short, it's definitely the car being cautious, and it's definitely not a perception issue by some of us with winter tires. It's a major change, and the fact that it won't smoothly apply regen is pretty jarring.

Keep those reports flowing to Tesla, and note the jarring/unpredictable nature of regen. This is a really a barking safety issue that Tesla can't keep ignoring. The Model S doesn't have this issue with any winter tires, so it's within their power to fix it.

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Request Help
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Here's a quick demonstration of what my car is doing. This is smoother than it has been over the past few days (It's also warmer today. Not sure if that's related.) but still shows much weaker regen than I saw on my all-seasons. The car will not allow sustained full regen except at very low speeds.

Apologies for crappy cell phone video...

I followed up with Executive Care a few days ago and they just responded now with the following:

"Hello Tony,

Thank you for following up. Our team has found a fix which is under going a testing phase. We still do not have ETA but hopefully, it will be fixed with firmware update soon.
Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Best Regards,
Executive Care
6800 Dumbarton Circle, Fremont, CA 94555
24/7 Customer Support: 877-798-3752"

Same basic info others ahve posted, but here's the reply I just got from support:

Thank you for contacting Tesla support; apologies for the delayed response. I am sorry to hear you are one of many who are affected by the issue with winter tires. We are still working with fervor on an update to help resolve this behavior, and appreciate your continued patience. We recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out. Sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regen seems to be back to normal on 48.12.1 and my Hakka R3’s. Noticeably more efficient drive this morning and autopilot is much much smoother and confident.

BC1C3CF5-D7E0-42A8-A797-7C44673587DD.jpeg

I'm not sure if mine is totally back to normal (it still seems to 'clamp down' a bit at 25 mph, making the deceleration less smooth), but it is much improved.

And I suppose that hitch at 25 mph could have something to do with properties of the tires themselves. (Michelin X-Ice)

It does seem to me that there has been a positive regenerative braking change with this update (2018.48.12). I was able to pretty much use one pedal during today's morning commute which I have been unable to do for the few month+ when the FW update (and/or winter tires) broke regen... at least at city road speeds.

AWD here BTW.

I tried briefly at highway speeds and it doesn't seem as strong as it was originally. But there's definitely been some improvement overall.