Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has traded a car in for a Tesla? Was it worth it? Thx.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will give you a low trade in offer because they don't even look at the car before they give a quote. You must accept their quote on the web page to move forward, then you can talk about a CarMax quote match when delivery comes.

CarMax quoted me $2,500 more than Tesla for my 2016 228i BMW. I could get more privately but the time and hassle are not worth it to me, so I'm going to do the trade in and ask them to match CarMax.

Note: You can see the Tesla offer online without accepting it. Even if you drive it to the store they don't care to look at it, it's just a formula offer.

No, you don't wait until delivery for CarMax match. Do it BEFORE Delivery. You Just need to fax them (OA) your Carfax quote and they will adjust your online numbers.

Tesla's trade was fair and CarMax made it sweeter. Trading in a Tesla with "Software extra's" like FSD, power boost, etc. not so great.

Private selling is really easy and fast if you price your car halfway between the dealer trade in value and the dealer retail value. It's an easy win of thousands extra for you and a big win for the private buyer.

You'll still come out ahead despite missing out on the sales tax break given how much dealers mark up your trade in when selling it.

If you want to get close to the dealer retail value as a private seller, you can do it, but it's a lot more work.

Not always. I could not sell privately even at the same price Tesla offered (factoring in tax credit on trade).

Hey guys, thanks a million for your great help. Will talk to the salesman I've been talking to just to get confirmation of a CarMax price match, but I'm not sure if I'd pick it up in Austin (600 miles), or Phoenix (400 miles). At which point do you have to decide on that? Didn't find that anywhere, and there's no such question while filling up the online order. I did an online quote on Carvana, so I have an idea what it is, and it'd be fine if I get that as a trade-in. The only hassle is having to travel 40 miles to a CarMax, and wasting a few hours on getting the quote done, but I guess it's the price to pay for convenience :).

By the way, I always pay cash for everything (old school guy here), so no loan hassle either. It's just deciding it's the right car for us now. Thank you again, and will keep you posted what we decide. Have a great weekend ahead.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The sales advisor asked me to just fill the trade in info first so I can select final payment, but what if I change my mind. I should be able to do that right?

Your advisor is correct. Fill in all the information online and then get the trade-in quote from Tesla first, then make your decision. If you decide not to trade in your car with them, just let your advisor know and they will take it off your profile and adjust your financing/purchase options to take that into accounrt.

I ordered a preowned Tesla (2018 MSP) here in Toronto from Tesla's stock and I had all the same questions. It took me a little while to get in touch with their used car manager to ask the same question that you have now, but once I did, it's been smooth sailing.

Also on an off note, I actually really liked the quote that they gave me, as after the 13% sales tax in Ontario was factored into their price, it was only probably a couple grand off of what a private sale would net me. With that said, I have a pretty rare car, so I'm selling it to my friend for the same price that Tesla offered me (with the tax incentive) so that it won't have to go to auction and somebody who will appreciate it will have it. But that's also why I know that they can change your financing options (reverse your trade-in) etc even after you've accepted the trade-in, as that's what I did.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I traded in a Ford Focus Electric when I bought my Tesla. Carmax offered $10K. Tesla offered me $11.5K. Not much of a market for private sale, when I looked, there were only two others being offered, both with way more miles than mine, and for about $8-10K. Since I only paid $13.5K for the car brand new (after rebates and incentives), I decided to go with Tesla's offer, and not try to sell private. Was completely painless, brought the keys and title when I was picking up the Tesla, and that was it; no inspection, other than verification of the VIN.

I didn't disconnect from the MyFordMobile app, so was able to track the location of my car. Within two days the car was at an auction house in San Diego. Two weeks later it was back up here in LA at a shipping company. Then it disappeared for a month. It then re-appeared in, of all places, Amman Jordan. It's been there since, if I log on to the app, I can see charging history, how many miles are on it, etc. Seems as though there is quite a lot of the Focus Electrics that went to Jordan.

Keith