Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is driving...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My girlfriend and I both drive our MY and we both have our phone keys activated. We often get into the car at the same time, both of us with our phones, the car seems to randomly select the driver, e.g. on a road trip where I was doing most of the driving, when we returned to the locked car after a stop, as I was getting in, the seat and mirrors were already in the process of being adjusted to my girlfriend's settings quite a few times. My girlfriend is shorter than I, so when this happens, I am being squeezed to the front while fumbling around with the screen to select myself as the driver.

I know that the car can't possibly know who is going to drive when two drivers with their respective phone keys get to the car at about the same time... but there's gotta be a better way. This is so annoying. Maybe Tesla could install two Bluetooth modules and detect from the difference between the signals who is on the driver side...

Anyone in the same situation - how do you deal with this...? Is there any way to improve this situation? On our last drive, I asked my girlfriend to turn off her Bluetooth so her phone wouldn't be detected by the car, but that's really just an awkward workaround, not a solution.

Could using key fobs instead of our phones help? Or they work the same way as phone keys?

When you sit down, instead of hitting the brake pedal to activate your profile, just select it on the center screen.

Keith
I'm not sure what you are talking about... I don't need to hit the break pedal to activate a profile. The car starts adjusting seat and mirrors as soon as it is unlocked (using phone key and pushing on the handle). And the center of the screen has the map...

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I understand and have no solution for you. My 3 also almost always changes to wife's profile if her phone is anywhere nearby, even if mine is considerably closer - and at least once that I've noticed, when hers was not present at all (she'd gone out earlier). Annoying because when it's both of us I usually drive. I have my phone set as preferred (as zpaul suggested above) but I think this applies just to media or something, not driver, as it seems to have no effect.

Would indeed be nice if it didn't start automatically adjusting seats as soon as the door is opened.

> Maybe Tesla could install two Bluetooth modules

There's also an internal camera in many vehicles which could be used...

I understand and have no solution for you. My 3 also almost always changes to wife's profile if her phone is anywhere nearby, even if mine is considerably closer - and at least once that I've noticed, when hers was not present at all (she'd gone out earlier). Annoying because when it's both of us I usually drive. I have my phone set as preferred (as zpaul suggested above) but I think this applies just to media or something, not driver, as it seems to have no effect.

Would indeed be nice if it didn't start automatically adjusting seats as soon as the door is opened.

> Maybe Tesla could install two Bluetooth modules

There's also an internal camera in many vehicles which could be used...

Camera - yeah, I guess that's a possibility although it would require some setup (in addition to a feature that doesn't yet exist).

Preferred phone - I guess that's what zpaul referred to - you can set a Phone in Media as "preferred" but that has nothing to do with seat/mirror/driving settings. It just determines whose phone will be connected to play music when multiple paired phones are present.

Reactions: Ogre
In a previous group, I worked on doing location and proximity tracking using BT. It is MUUUCH more complicated than most people realize. You can't just put a radio on the driver side and passenger side, and expect it to be fool proof... What if you keep your phone in your front pocket, and your wife keeps it in her purse? if she gets in the driver's side with it buried in her purse, the car could think it's further away that it is, and think that your phone in your front pocket is much closer... Likewise, it makes a huge difference if you keep the phone in your front pocket vs back pocket, etc. And this doesn't even get into the differences of antenna placement for different phones and different signal attenuation because of differing chipsets/hardware on said phone.

I'm not sure what you are talking about... I don't need to hit the break pedal to activate a profile. The car starts adjusting seat and mirrors as soon as it is unlocked (using phone key and pushing on the handle). And the center of the screen has the map...

Mine doesn't do that. It goes to the "easy access" preset position that I programed in when I unbuckle my seat belt, and it stays in that position from when I leave the car until I return to the car, get in, and hit the brake pedal.

Keith

Mine doesn't do that. It goes to the "easy access" preset position that I programed in when I unbuckle my seat belt, and it stays in that position from when I leave the car until I return to the car, get in, and hit the brake pedal.

Keith

This may in fact be the best workaround currently available: set up an easy entry profile based on the tallest/largest driver, and set both profiles to use easy entry. Interesting.

I guess another possible workaround could be for the passenger to temporarily turn off Bluetooth on their phone before you both approach, and only turn it back on again later once you've opened the driver's door. This is a bit of pain however, and if you have any other Bluetooth devices like a smartwatch this could be quite annoying (particularly if you forget to turn BT back on on the phone for a period of time). I think the dual-easy-entry-profile option might be preferable as there's minimal effort involved each time you get to the car.

FYI my partner and I have this same issue, it often picks the "wrong" one of us. I suspect it is quite common in multi-driver homes.

In a previous group, I worked on doing location and proximity tracking using BT. It is MUUUCH more complicated than most people realize. You can't just put a radio on the driver side and passenger side, and expect it to be fool proof... What if you keep your phone in your front pocket, and your wife keeps it in her purse? if she gets in the driver's side with it buried in her purse, the car could think it's further away that it is, and think that your phone in your front pocket is much closer... Likewise, it makes a huge difference if you keep the phone in your front pocket vs back pocket, etc. And this doesn't even get into the differences of antenna placement for different phones and different signal attenuation because of differing chipsets/hardware on said phone.
Good insights. I didn't think of those things but I can see how the distance of the phone from the antenna is just one of many variables and not a reliable indicator of proximity.

I set my phone as preferred phone and my profile is always on.
When my wife gets in she has to select her profile so seat, mirrors and the rest are adjusted.
My phone is also preferred in the media settings (which has no effect on driver profiles) and the car still randomly selects the driver if both of use get in at the same time. Your experience is most likely coincidental and has nothing to do with the "preferred" setting. It is more likely that that her profile is not tied to her phone key properly, or it's a bug.