Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is shorting TSLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this isn't exactly related directly, but, I found it interesting to see how yesterday's market action on TSLA was a shifting of a full $11/share by the market makers ... nice profits they (at of course the obvious expense of losses of others) are making, riding the wave of news like the Berlin announcement and the M3 winning Germany Car of the Year on Tues.

I would like to understand who's shorting TSLA, and their rational. Please add to this thread if you have info.
Just go to SA and look around.

First article I saw: Tesla Lost Market Share In Q3 To BMW, Mercedes, Audi And Volvo - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

This guy discloses he is short TSLA because he presents "facts" to prove Tesla loses market share to OEMs, so the narrative that Tesla is gaining market share is false.

Watch CNBC and you'll hear similar opinions.

I prefer to base my investment thesis on facts given out in the ER.

Most of the large investment funds - so-called "hedge" or otherwise, have by law their investment positions as of the end of each prior quarter showing in publicly-accessible documents.

If anyone is so inclined to go through the tedium, you can do your EDGAR searches to come up with the answer to this thread's question. Alternatively, Barron's used to be a source of same but I've not had a subscription for...gaaacckk...about thirty years.

The daily televised show-and-tell farces are truly reprehensible (Curt R can debate me with this one). But if you care to disagree with me on that, you have to be able to counter this rhetorical question: Why on earth would we ever publicly discuss anything but our book (what our current investment positions are, combined with bashing the positions we've recently sold and not discussing what we're trying to accumulate)? The sole utility they had...and still have, I am sure, is in demonstrating insight as to macroeconomic events we consider important.