Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is still on v8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm with ya sorka. Running the last v8 (18.36.2).

Although, I've shut off the VPN to Tesla for some time now. Then again, I don't have the app since I'm salvage, and the only thing I lack is a map update, which I am badly in need of. Tried to pull one today but ran out of time to mess with it.

Anyone have a recent US map archive?

I'd be surprised if Tesla actually turns off OpenVPN. That would leave a number of anointed customers in the dust and create service headaches.

Last edited:
I'm with ya sorka. Running the last v8 (18.36.2).

Although, I've shut off the VPN to Tesla for some time now. Then again, I don't have the app since I'm salvage, and the only thing I lack is a map update, which I am badly in need of. Tried to pull one today but ran out of time to mess with it.

Anyone have a recent US map archive?

I'd be surprised if Tesla actually turns off OpenVPN. That would leave a number of anointed customers in the dust and create service headaches.

Are you getting traffic data? Does slacker still work? Supercharging?

Still on V8. (2018.34)
Not going to update unless I can't stand missing the app functions.
I haven't done any road trips since this all started, but I just cannot deal with the interface. My most used controls while driving are map +, -, and climate off; all of which need extra touches to get to.

If you are forced to upgrade the voice commands to turn off climate and menu work well.

Well, at exactly 21:32 CEST my car went offline and is no longer reachable though the APP.

I went to the car and the connectivity indicator showed full strength 3G connection.
Spotify works just fine. Google maps are loading (also places that were not in the cache), traffic data is available and navigation works.

I haven’t checked the browser or status on SuC stall availability or voice commands as of yet.

So, pretty much everything in the car works, just the APP and APIs don’t work as of now.
I have a logger running which obviously stopped working since it can’t connect to the car. This is also how I got the exact time the car lost connection.

21:30 CEST is 12:30 PST if I’m not mistaken. Seems like OpenVPN was shutdown during the lunch break.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I wish I had been given the choice to update, but the service center did it without my consent. Now I wish they would just give me a setting to bring back the old UI. (I don't actually think this wish will come true, but I can dream!)

Just make sure the dream does not turn into a nightmare....reject all future updates. Based on today's Tweets, EM is unstable.

• Love
Reactions: markb1 and KArnold
The VPN connection is gone. No more app connectivity.

The good news is that navigation traffic, slacker, web browser, voice commands for music and navigation all still work.

This essentially puts me back in the same place I was when i was using a null wifi hotspot to prevent from getting updated so I'm pretty happy about this.

Well, at exactly 21:32 CEST my car went offline and is no longer reachable though the APP..

I examined the actual logs this morning and found that at 21:01 CEST the car started being unavailable consistently and it was only 30 min later the status changed to offline.
So, the OpenVPN appears to have been turned off at noon PST exactly.

Thought it might be worthwhile to correct my earlier statement.

I can't believe they actually did this. Maybe there really are only a handful left in v8.1(many of which are here in that case) so they bit the bullet. Will this affect how work is done in cars that are v9 and above? Can someone who knows Tesla's software elaborate on what this change actually does? Pros and cons etc?

I can't believe they actually did this. Maybe there really are only a handful left in v8.1(many of which are here in that case) so they bit the bullet. Will this affect how work is done in cars that are v9 and above? Can someone who knows Tesla's software elaborate on what this change actually does? Pros and cons etc?
It's not clear what you're asking, "Will this affect how work is done...". Websocket is just a different (and far more efficient) way of acting on the RESTful API interface of the car, than the clunky and terrible OpenVPN. I've never bothered to learn OpenVPN and went to WireGuard exclusively, from IPSec.

The Tesla VPN was a direct point-to-point connexion with Tesla's servers, so services which used that are now completely on websocket, services such as firmware and map updates (which I never got and very much need), feedback to Tesla on roads, maps, app connectivity, etc.

Services such as mapping, traffic, streaming, etc are not done through the VPN but connect directly to the respective services. Supercharging on v1 Sc's should not be affected as this is a setting in the car. Assuming Sc was originally paid for in your car you can feel free to turn it back on if rooted; otherwise this would be unethical.

For those who are rooted I've been in the process of overhauling and updating Lunar's scripts for security and functionality. Mine are practically unrecognizable from his now so can be considered a fork which I call 'solar', but MattG has my gratitude for blazing the trail. What my scripts will add up to is complete isolation from Tesla, first-ever backups of critical files from the CID to the IC and optionally to your home server, the addition of the advanced WireGuard VPN, and so on. I plan to also add 'nikola', which is MattG's phone app that I believe has functionality very much like Tesla's app, except it connects directly with your phone rather than through Tesla's servers.

These scripts are relevant to the newest firmware versions too, if taking countermeasures against new security measures. I don't have a newer car so can't advise... unless someone buys me one? :j

Last edited: