Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is still on v8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks as always rooter. I wish I had more linux skills. What I meant was will rooted users on V9-10 lose their ability to do anything because of this change of connection to mothership? If I remember correctly redeploying on AP2+ you couldn't get APE files from the mothership and had to push them yourself for a successful staging a few months ago. Is change to WebSocket another barrier like that?

Looks like it. Getting anything from the mothership is now impossible on v8, and can only be done on newer versions if the mothership thinks it's the car requesting it for legitimate reasons.

That is, unless someone cracks websocket or gets the private key.

There is a complete firmware repository (which I don't have access to). Maybe they're collecting APE files too. (And map files?) Sure do need a new US map file. Maybe someone with root can dd /dev/mmcblk1 for me.

Looks like it. Getting anything from the mothership is now impossible on v8, and can only be done on newer versions if the mothership thinks it's the car requesting it for legitimate reasons.

That is, unless someone cracks websocket or gets the private key.

Even with MCU1 they're still cracking down...

Some poor 8.1 driver unbeknownst to all of this somewhere will need a part change sometime, will change it themselves only to find themselves or any 'hacker' helper unable to redeploy. IT is quickly turning into Apple vs. jailbreaks.

Well, MCU1 in hardware 2. MCU1 hardware 1 won't have any problem redeploying.

And keep in mind that all problems are solvable when you have control over the hardware and are willing to shut Tesla out. It's just a question of understanding it.

You need third party repair to keep v8 for most any repair. They're so afraid of batterygate fires they will force update anything they can get their hands on if they have an excuse. They were even remoting into v8 and updating without owner permission for a while until the class action suit named several specific California hacking laws they had to break to remotely force updates.

No, the OpenVPN certs for Tesla are now useless and will eventually expire. For v8 users no more connexion to the mothership. This means no more firmware updates (obviously being ignored anyway) and no more map updates. And if you are amongst the anointed, no more app functionality, but then we few on v8 are unlikely to have the Tesla app anyway.

I've been mulling over a move to v10 as there seems to be a general acceptance of it, including by vg which is compelling. I don't need websocket (aka "hermes"), the replacement for OpenVPN, as I need nothing from Tesla (except map updates, which I can get by other means... if only someone with root will help).

With an upgrade I am concerned though about losing access to the gateway, which happens as you move into v9 territory. Given enough time (which I don't have) I may be able to work around that. (I recently had a problem where I was forced to work out how to get in to the CID through the gateway, and thank goodness that was possible -- and sorry, can not share that. Although... Tesla knows most of our secrets anyway, if we're real about it)

But it seems that all told, moving to v10 might just be a headache with no substantive reward that I can discern, at least for MCU1, and most especially with MCU2 and up due to dm-verity. There is a crack for dm-verity but I could not write an article on it as then it would be 'fixed'. If there's a fatal compromise for it I could publish; but I don't have an MCU2+ car so am not working on it. Maybe I'll resist this 'firmware envy', Fart app notwithstanding. unless there is a good countervailing argument.

I am very happy to have WireGuard compiled and working on the CID though. And I am very happy about my shiny new PPP loan -- three days to approval. I still can't believe it. Thank goodness for Covid-19, lol.

Last edited:
I've been mulling over a move to v10 as there seems to be a general acceptance of it, including by vg which is compelling.

Don't! V8 lets you keep your full capacity, full horsepower, and full charging speed. Even if your roll of the dice update doesn't get batterygate nerfed you WILL get your supercharging speeds reduced by half.

Part of me wants you to be on V10 so maybe you can figure out how to fix what they've been breaking and share it with us, but I have to give you fair warning.

Yes, the cut in supercharging is a real problem. And no doubt there will be other problems which would make upgrading a total faff.

I suspect that it would be possible to de-fang this Sc neutering, even as it's probably buried in an executable somewhere. Vg probably knows. As a rule I don't mess with the partitions 1 & 2 saveset in an effort to keep my scripts portable, but in this case it may be necessary. It's not going to be as easy as turning off a daemon. And who knows what a Sc v3 is made of/ can do?

All of this would take time which I do not have, and would be just more cat-and-mouse. I do what I do out of necessity for myself and like to share the info if it will help others, but it's not an avocation.

Reactions: Chaserr
Don't! V8 lets you keep your full capacity, full horsepower, and full charging speed. Even if your roll of the dice update doesn't get batterygate nerfed you WILL get your supercharging speeds reduced by half.

Part of me wants you to be on V10 so maybe you can figure out how to fix what they've been breaking and share it with us, but I have to give you fair warning.

Given that they killed USB music for AP1/MCU1 cars, it's pretty much a deal killer for me even if I'd decided to go for it.

Reactions: Chaserr
Except that no AP1/MCU1 cars have gotten it yet so they're all still broken. To have broken one of the primary features of the car tells me they have pretty much ZERO QE.
I don't think Tesla considers it one of the primary features of the car. In order of presentation on their website (for Model S), those features are: 1. Safety - High Impact Protection, 2. AWD Performance - Quickest Acceleration, 3. Range - Go Anywhere, 4. Autopilot - Future of Driving, 5. Interior - Built Around The Driver (mostly focused on spaciousness, with a side mention of "sound dynamics comparable to a recording studio" but nothing about lossless USB audio), 6. Exterior - Designed for Efficiency (and still touting the auto-presenting door handles as a feature!)

In a different thread, someone jokingly compared USB music to 8-track tapes, implying that it's something from the past that they no longer use because streaming audio is now standard procedure for most folks. Tesla has obviously no qualms about eliminating the radio, so I can't imagine they would care about keeping an input source which reads attacker customer supplied files.

Speaking of streaming audio, that is still working on v8, probably because the connection is made directly to TuneIn or Slacker LiveXLive. Hopefully that interface remains stable for a while.

That's because 4.1 is ancient. It came on out January 27th.

The problem doesn't even start until until 2020.12.5 which came out on April 6th and still hasn't been fixed for AP1/MCU1 cars.

USB thumb drives no longer recognized
My car says it's up to date when I tell it to check. Does this only apply to those who set their software updates to "bleeding edge" (I think it's called "advanced" in the UI)?

"up to date" just means you either haven't been staged an update to a recent firmware, or you had one fail while downloading enough times for it to stop trying. It's probably nothing, but this can be an early sign of EMMC failure - you might want to contact Tesla and ask if you have a "stuck" update blocking new ones from downloading.