Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who said Plaid is so good, Plaid+ is not needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who thinks a “Plaid+“ isn’t still coming when the 4680s are ready is deluded. “Cancelled” is Tesla marketing talk for “we need people to buy this car now vs. wait, so we’re going to force their hand.”
100% agreed. No question that 4680-based Plaid+ will come. The only question is when. My money is on 2023. It's likely there's a bunch of additional re-architecture required to support the 4680 packs.

FWIW, the Plaid S is already significantly re-engineered internally. See here:

It's largely a next-gen platform except for some reason they chose to mostly keep to the 2012 body panels/exterior design.

Well, the problem is Lucid does not have 4680 and yet it has the prototype (or a pre-prod version) which runs 500 mile real world on a charge. What about Tesla? it cancelled Plaid+ with an unconvincing reason (at least to me). Is it because Tesla does not want to make the car or is it because Tesla simply can't with the technology on hand? Either way, Tesla is not the company it used to be back in 2014. Disappointed, really disappointed.
Also I'd rather think Tesla can't do the long range than does not want to given its long history of overpromising but under-delivering.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
Well, the problem is Lucid does not have 4680 and yet it has the prototype (or a pre-prod version) which runs 500 mile real world on a charge. What about Tesla? it cancelled Plaid+ with an unconvincing reason (at least to me). Is it because Tesla does not want to make the car or is it because Tesla simply can't with the technology on hand? Either way, Tesla is not the company it used to be back in 2014. Disappointed, really disappointed.
Also I'd rather think Tesla can't do the long range than does not want to given its long history of overpromising but under-delivering.
The Lucid's battery pack is nearly 130kwh. Getting 500 miles from that much energy isn't magic or anything. Nor is charging ~$160k for it.

The Lucid's battery pack is nearly 130kwh. Getting 500 miles from that much energy isn't magic or anything. Nor is charging ~$160k for it.
It is a magic since another company did stuff 130KWH into a similar sized sedan and Tesla did not although it originally intended to and later on, for whatever reasons (technical or financial) refrained from it. Remember the timing of the announcing Plaid+? Right after Lucid Air's specs came out. This was a clear sign Tesla tried to reclaim the longest range EV title from Lucid Air at the time. Now that Lucid actually has an working one, Tesla just cancelled it with an implausible reason I am not buying. To me, this clearly is saying:" No, we are unable to match specs, will simply just ignore it".

As to 160K price tag, Plaid+ was not actually much cheaper, however Lucid at least built it and Tesla cancelled it. It leaves with me wondering how Cybertruck which I have a reservation for, will turn out to be. Another typical sample of overpromising and under-delivering from Tesla?

It is a magic since another company did stuff 130KWH into a similar sized sedan and Tesla did not although it originally intended to and later on, for whatever reasons (technical or financial) refrained from it. Remember the timing of the announcing Plaid+? Right after Lucid Air's specs came out. This was a clear sign Tesla tried to reclaim the longest range EV title from Lucid Air at the time. Now that Lucid actually has an working one, Tesla just cancelled it with an implausible reason I am not buying. To me, this clearly is saying:" No, we are unable to match specs, will simply just ignore it".

As to 160K price tag, Plaid+ was not actually much cheaper, however Lucid at least built it and Tesla cancelled it. It leaves with me wondering how Cybertruck which I have a reservation for, will turn out to be. Another typical sample of overpromising and under-delivering from Tesla?
To argue your point (although I do believe the reason Elon gave on Twitter was a bit lame), is it possible Tesla decided to cancel (or at least delay) the Plaid+ Model S so they could focus on fitting the newer S's and other cars with 4680 batteries? That way, instead of having to put energy and time into making another new car (that wouldn't have 4680s) directly before finishing creation/production of the 4680's, they could instead put the 4680's into a new car and get that increased range without even needing to make a + version? Just food for thought, I suppose.

Either way, Tesla is not the company it used to be back in 2014. Disappointed, really disappointed.
I also want to argue this point. After watching videos of major improvements the company has made on their vehicles over the years to the extremely well-designed Plaid and soon-to-be-released Cybertruck, Tesla has continued to make groundbreaking technology. Watching their AI Day where the most powerful and scalable computer chips, an advanced AI training computer, and FSD using vectors via on-car cameras were all shown to be in the works has shown that Tesla has insane plans for the future. One of the most difficult parts of any company is scaling, and Tesla continues to defy expectations and even keep producing great numbers despite the chip shortage this year. Not to mention the impressive 4680 batteries that are already nearing production. It's hard for me to see where you're coming from when I've seen huge engineering improvements in the company that will only continue over the years.

Go buy a Lucid I guess? Tesla clearly decided they don't need to produce a 500 mile car right now. I can't say that I particularly care. Never make a financial decision based on future promises or features from Tesla.

To argue your point (although I do believe the reason Elon gave on Twitter was a bit lame), is it possible Tesla decided to cancel (or at least delay) the Plaid+ Model S so they could focus on fitting the newer S's and other cars with 4680 batteries? That way, instead of having to put energy and time into making another new car (that wouldn't have 4680s) directly before finishing creation/production of the 4680's, they could instead put the 4680's into a new car and get that increased range without even needing to make a + version? Just food for thought, I suppose.

I also want to argue this point. After watching videos of major improvements the company has made on their vehicles over the years to the extremely well-designed Plaid and soon-to-be-released Cybertruck, Tesla has continued to make groundbreaking technology. Watching their AI Day where the most powerful and scalable computer chips, an advanced AI training computer, and FSD using vectors via on-car cameras were all shown to be in the works has shown that Tesla has insane plans for the future. One of the most difficult parts of any company is scaling, and Tesla continues to defy expectations and even keep producing great numbers despite the chip shortage this year. Not to mention the impressive 4680 batteries that are already nearing production. It's hard for me to see where you're coming from when I've seen huge engineering improvements in the company that will only continue over the years.
Your reasoning is more plausible than Elon's:)

• Funny
Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
Go buy a Lucid I guess? Tesla clearly decided they don't need to produce a 500 mile car right now. I can't say that I particularly care. Never make a financial decision based on future promises or features from Teslamany

Go buy a Lucid I guess? Tesla clearly decided they don't need to produce a 500 mile car right now. I can't say that I particularly care. Never make a financial decision based on future promises or features from Tesla.
Many gas cars can run 500 miles on a full tank although refilling just takes a fraction of the time an EV owner spending on recharging on the road. There are reasons for that. I do care when range is cut to 60% during winter. I do care cruising with highway speed will result in charging 45min for every 2.5 hours of driving. Maybe you are living in areas with mild weather, however northerners have a much harsher weather. As a mainstream car manufacturer, tesla's products should also address the convenience problem we encounter every winter

Many gas cars can run 500 miles on a full tank although refilling just takes a fraction of the time an EV owner spending on recharging on the road. There are reasons for that. I do care when range is cut to 60% during winter. I do care cruising with highway speed will result in charging 45min for every 2.5 hours of driving. Maybe you are living in areas with mild weather, however northerners have a much harsher weather. As a mainstream car manufacturer, tesla's products should also address the convenience problem we encounter every winter
Your range isn’t cut by 40% in winter that is one and two you switched subject pretty fast. Who cares what your ICe buckets can do and I personally don’t want to sit in the car for more than 2.5 hours without stretching my legs and walking.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomas
Ok. Go buy a Lucid? I’m sure if you get on the list now you might have a car by the time the plaid+ re-materializes.

Maybe.

“$160k car” and “mainstream car manufacturer” don’t belong in the same sentence.