Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should re-add the Tesla Model S Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should re-add the Model S Plaid+ because Lucid has the Air Sapphire, which has over 400+ mile range, and goes 0-60 in 1.8 seconds, the Plaid+ was supposed to have over a 520 mile range, and the 0-60 was <1.99 seconds, and the Plaid+ was suppose to cost less than $150,000, but the Sapphire cost $100,000 more, plus, some people want to pay for more speed. So if you are a Tesla representative, please tell Elon to bring back the Plaid+, Who’s with me?
IMG_4880.png

I do not think the current Model S chassis and design could reach the goals the Plaid + proposed, and Tesla was not, and is not, interested in putting the money and effort to do a larger redesign to get 500+ mile range (no room for a new battery with that much range), and the current Plaid has around 2.0 seconds 0-60 acceleration -- very close to the Plaid + specs.

Reactions: brkaus
My belief is that the Plaid+ relied on 4680 cells to get the performance and range that was quoted. 4680 production is still constrained so they are putting everything they make into MY and (now) CT. MY is Tesla's bread and butter and CT is the hot new thing. I think Elon is just waiting for Lucid to go bankrupt in the next recession and then the regular Plaid will be top dog again.

I’d chin scratch at a power boost for those with the Track Pack brakes. I’ve heard the cf sleeved rotors can spin well in excess of 20k rpm so perhaps they left some juice on the table.

The lucid sapphire looks siq!

I suspect that Tesla's engineering efforts are being applied towards a lot of other (arguably more important) directions.

Cybertruck mass production, Semi improvements and eventually mass production, and finally a real mass market sedan (< $25k) all seem more important to me than an even more souped up version of a very fast car with a lot of range that doesn't sell all that well.

Reactions: Speedr117
I think Tesla should redo the S and X. I think they should make the Plaid+ and that should be the only Model S. The X, should have the battery to give it a 425 mile range. Call it Long Range, and that is the only Model X they need. Sell them both for $77,500 so the X will qualify for the tax incentive. I bet they could sell 250,000 per year for the foreseeable future. Then in a year or 2 when sales slow down, they can add the LRS and a Plaid-X as a mid life kicker.

Tesla should re-add the Model S Plaid+ because Lucid has the Air Sapphire, which has over 400+ mile range, and goes 0-60 in 1.8 seconds, the Plaid+ was supposed to have over a 520 mile range, and the 0-60 was <1.99 seconds, and the Plaid+ was suppose to cost less than $150,000, but the Sapphire cost $100,000 more, plus, some people want to pay for more speed. So if you are a Tesla representative, please tell Elon to bring back the Plaid+, Who’s with me?View attachment 979568

Tesla has screwed themselves a bit at this point.

Why would anyone buy a $150k plaid+ when they now have to worry about the MSRP dropping $40k in a year and losing an excessive amount of money?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Tesla should re-add the Model S Plaid+ because Lucid has the Air Sapphire, which has over 400+ mile range, and goes 0-60 in 1.8 seconds, the Plaid+ was supposed to have over a 520 mile range, and the 0-60 was <1.99 seconds, and the Plaid+ was suppose to cost less than $150,000, but the Sapphire cost $100,000 more, plus, some people want to pay for more speed. So if you are a Tesla representative, please tell Elon to bring back the Plaid+, Who’s with me?

I doubt Tesla will ever bring back talk or even release a Plaid+, it will not be cost effective for Tesla.

They are not going to compete with the Sapphire. One, those shopping for 250k cars have MUCH more wealth/income/etc. than those who can attain 100k cars. If you're a single guy living cheap you CAN swing a 100k car on a probably 100-150k income....MUCH less amount of people can swing a payment on a 250k car.

Also, Lucid is losing six figures on every car they sell. WIth the development of the Sapphhire...even at 250k per car...I wouldn't be surprised if Lucid is losing at LEAST 250k or more per Sapphire they sell. Tesla is already profitable on every car, they have 0 incentive to compete with the Sapphire.

edit: Just for quick calculation comparison. a 100k car loan @ 7% and 72mo and 0 down payment = $1700/mo payment. Doable on someone making six figures if they have low other costs and you can pretty much still be able to live.

At 250k loan (which, at this level banks may have additional requirements or limits on auto loans that high)...even if we say just say same loan terms as above...this is a $4200+/mo payment.

People who can afford 1700/mo vs those who can afford 4200/mo live in different worlds.

Those who can buy a Sapphire will probably have a Plaid (or two) a pick up, a couple of other sports cars, etc. in their 4+ car garage home.

Last edited: